• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumor Weed Growing...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

;)

How's 'bout students STAMPEDING over there with signs:

"We want an OCS !"

;D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

Buying this land would be a very expensive project.  Even if we did ever purchase the land, I would much rather see an OCS built on the current campus land.  

Personally I think the school should continue to build larger vertically than to keep expanding land wise. If the school gets any larger land wise an elevated train system would be needed to get to and from places.

Hope we don't start an "ETS" (elevated train system)thread ...  ;)

Guest Sprtsfn627

The thing is, I'm not sure we have the money.  We're underfunded as it is.  I certainly see buying that land a possibility in the future, as the mall continues to be unpopular and the price drops.  But it would be tough to buy it now.  That said, if we don't buy the land, someone will.  We might just have to bite the bullet and buy it while we still can.

I would not count on property dropping in value.

Guest Sprtsfn627
Buying this land would be a very expensive project.  Even if we did ever purchase the land, I would much rather see an OCS built on the current campus land.  

I'm not sure we have the land to build an OCS.  Furthermore, someone on here mentioned Woolard talking about the OCS. The quote, to paraphrase, was that USF was constantly growing and not to look at the current boundries.  The only other place I could see the OCS fitting is by the golf course...but as far as I know, the land is protected.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  356
  • Days Won:  0

Hillsborough County School district was rumored to be looking at the property, but was scared off by the pricetag...as the mall (and surrounding area) continues to decline, the price will continue to drop.  Hey - Casey's Cove across the street from the mall was my hangout back in the day...don't think I'd want to spend much time in that area after dark now... ;)

Guest Sprtsfn627

http://www.tbo.com/news/money/MGBT8THTDNE.html

In a statement, Glimcher announced that it will try to sell University Mall along with two malls in Houston and malls in Charlotte, N.C., and Montgomery, Ala. The company hopes to fetch up to $270 million for the malls combined, after expenses. Glimcher did not break out a prospective sale price for University Mall.

Do we know if the Mall ever sold after going up for sale early in '06?

So you figure $ 90 - 100 million.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

No, lower, more like $50 million (assuming the land and the malls in the other locations are equally as valuable). The package they were selling was 5 malls. so take a fifth of the $270 million price tag or thereabouts.