• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBO: It's Hot, But Bulls Back On The Chill Pill

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

It's Hot, But Bulls Back On The Chill Pill

By BRETT McMURPHY

The Tampa Tribune

Published: Aug 15, 2006

TAMPA - For the second consecutive season, University of South Florida football players are taking electronic pills that monitor their body temperatures from the inside of the athlete to help prevent heat illness.

Players swallow the silicone-coated pills, about the size of a large multi-vitamin, at least two hours before practice, said Eric Coris, director of the USF Sports Medicine Institute and USF's team doctor. Inside each pill is a crystal temperature sensor, battery and electronic transmitter. The pill transmits a low-frequency magnetic signal to an external data recorder held outside the body.

Since two-a-days started Saturday, each day about 20 players, mostly linemen, ingest the pill so their body temperatures can be monitored to help prevent heat illness. USF's trainers hold a wand about 12 inches from the player's back or stomach to record the temperature.

"They asked who wanted to help with the experiment, so I volunteered," USF wide receiver Amarri Jackson said after Monday's second practice. "I forget I even took the pill while I'm out there."

Coris said last year the week before the Bulls used the monitoring system, a number of players needed IVs and some players cramped after practice. After they monitored the players, none needed IVs because the trainers were alerted to any players before their core temperatures reached a potentially dangerous level, Coris said.

Coris and USF's sports medicine staff can study the data through computer readings.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBU88XNVQE.html

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

We should change our names to the USF lab rats  ;)

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997

Its crazy how much these things cost. I remember Copach Mike June (God rest his soul) working us during two a days and denying us water if we screwed up on defense. I would have loved to see that pill short circuit due to the heat in my fat ass back then.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sportings news did an article last week  on same pill given to nebraska players

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307

Is that stuff safe to digest?

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

mmmmmm.....pills with tiny microchips that record body temperature and then send out a small frequency to determine need for hydration...."droooooooooooool"

homer-drool.gif