• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

bonds is redefining the art of hitting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Career seasons best

Average

Williams .406

Bonds .370

HR

Williams 43

Bonds 73

SLG %

Williams .735

Bonds .863

OB %

Williams .526

Bonds .582

OPS

Williams 1.287

Bonds 1.381

BB's

Williams 162

Bonds 198

SB's

Wiliams 4

Bonds 52

MVP's

Williams 2

Bonds 6

So your point is that Bonds had better years in the various categories here and there throughout his career.

That's hardly enough to call him the best of all time, particularly when there's a remarkable lack of consistency when compared to Ted.

Yeah I can #'s come out the other way too.  I also find it funny that you throw SB's out of the major offensive category, why is that?

I put it in my original post.  It's obvious Bonds has way more speed.  Considering he didn't score any more runs per game than Ted did, all those extra bases he stole are irrelevant when it comes down to it.

Final point, comparing stats from different eras is useless.  Bonds plays in smaller parks, Williams played in a league virtually void of minorities nor had to deal with closers.

According to Bill James, Baseball Sabermetrician and author (co-author) of the book "Moneyball", the closer is statistically unimportant in modern baseball.  So I'm not impressed with that.  Minorities, sure... to a degree.  But there were about half as many teams as there are now, so Ted went up against the best of the best in MLB.

Bonds is good, but Ted was better.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First UEI, even if you give Ted those 150 HR's and tack on 50, that would only give him 721, well short of Aarons 755. Second Teddy really didnt have a "prime" in his career considering he batted .327 with 131R, 31HR and 145 RBI's in his rookie year.

Career seasons best

HR

Williams 43

Bonds 73

By that logic, Brady Anderson was a better ballplayer than Ted Williams, as he hit 50 homers.

Come with something better.  The best of all time is defined by CONSISTENCY, not single season roided-up marks.

Guest bullshiznitzII

I guess 6 MVPS doesnt show consistency. Get real.  

Once again we can go round and round. I still believe you cant compare eras. No matter who it is.

I guess 6 MVPS doesnt show consistency. Get real.  

Once again we can go round and round. I still believe you cant compare eras. No matter who it is.

MVPs are awarded based on opinion, not stats.  If it were stats, then Ted Williams would have won it the year he batted .406.

Your right you can't compare eras.  Teddy wasn't juiced up, and still played a better all around game than Barry.  Take away Barry's roids, and there is no comparison at all.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

better all around game? Bonds has 501 SB's, what did Williams have, 24. Bonds has 8 gold gloves. Bonds had 4 30-30 seasons and 1 40-40 season, Williams zero.  You seem to be strictly basing your opinion on average, yet say all bonds has is HR's.  

You try to dispell the fact that closers "supposedly" have had no effect on stats, please show me the facts that steriods have any effect on your ability to hit a baseball (which we still dont have proof that Bonds did them). Why is it that we dont have a bunch of bodybuilders throughout the majors hitting 80 HRs.  

better all around game? Bonds has 501 SB's, what did Williams have, 24. Bonds has 8 gold gloves. Bonds had 4 30-30 seasons and 1 40-40 season, Williams zero.  You seem to be strictly basing your opinion on average, yet say all bonds has is HR's.   

Since the Gold Glove award didn't arise until 1957, Williams wouldn't have been able to win any for the majority of his career, so that stat is useless.

What isn't useless is production stats... PER GAME, Williams has more hits, 2b, 3b, R, RBI, a higher average, a higher slugging percentage, and fewer strikeouts.  Bonds has more SB and Homeruns.

Come on, dude... I know you have this thing for Bonds, but you can't tell me that more SB and HR makes a man a better ALL AROUND player than a guy who pretty much dominates all other statistical categories!

As far as the steroids issue, I'm sure the truth will come out when all the facts are learned.  Out of curiosity, what will your opinion of Bonds be if it is indeed proven that he has been juicing for the past 5 years or so?

Much like you have a thing for Williams despite never seeing him play. True they didnt have the GG until 57, but read any article on Williams and it will say he was average (and thats being generous) at best in the field. Bonds is better on defense, a much greater speed threat and greater power threat than Williams. I would say that qualifies as better all around. You throw out the MVPs, the offensive records and attempt to belittle the importance of speed and defense. Why is that, is that because looking at those Williams is far behind Bonds? Maybe Williams was the better pure hitter, but better all around definetly goes to Bonds.

And no my opinion will not change. I still have yet to read, see or hear any type of scientific proof that steriods help you hit a baseball. Plus I still find it funny that no one still makes any mentions of the use of creatine and ephedra that is rampant throughout the majors. These are all performance enhancers too. Legal, as opposed to illegal, but still performance enhancers that werent available to Ruth, Aaron, Williams, Mays, etc.....

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Creatine isn't illegal... nor was ephedra.  That is big reason why people don't care.   I don't care who does or doesn't use them.  If Barry Bonds was taking Cocaine to enhance his baseball performance, would you care then?  

Both Steroids and Cocaine are illegal drugs.

Taking creatine is like drinking gatorade, taking steroids is doping up.

taking creatine is not like drinking gatorade. It is most definitely a performance enhancer. I know first hand. I was able to put on 30 lbs of muscle mass in two years using nothing but protein and creatine supplements combined with a diet and work out regime. Ephedra is most definetly a performance enhance (in short spurts, but a performance enhancer none the less) and of last Monday (I think) is also illegal.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Yes, Ephedra is now illegal... creatine is not.  Creatine does not increase body size... in increases your muscles ability to work out harder for a period of time, so really, you worked out harder than you could have, thus, along with the protien, were able to gain wait.  I too did the same thing, not 30 lbs, but about 20.  Creatine isn't responsible for building the muscles, unlike steroids which are testosterone based.