• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Condolences to Al Keck's Family

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I know Al Keck has been a topic of discussion on this board so I wanted to pass this along.  I believe they had children together.  

Former TV reporter dies in apparent suicide

Cheryl Keck was a former TV journalist who most recently helped produce police education and training programs at St. Petersburg College.

Keck, 47, died Saturday of an apparent suicide.

Keck, the estranged wife of WFTS-Ch. 28 sports anchor Al Keck, was discovered in a hotel room at the Sleep Inn Motel in Ellenton, according to the Manatee County Sheriff's Office.

She had a single gunshot wound to the head and was holding a pistol.

Sheriff's officials said Keck, a Largo resident, had been reported missing to St. Petersburg police, who could not confirm the report.

A memorial service was Thursday at Starkey Road Baptist Church.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/02/Tampabay/Tampa_Bay_briefs.shtml

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Ugh, just terrible.  Condolences.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

That is trully sad. My thoughts go out to the Keck Family.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

That is horrible... here's hoping Al hangs tough through the grieving process. Best wishes Al... Looking forward to hearing your commentary on the Bulls this fall... I'd rather have some of your commentary than no commentary... anyone remember pre-1997?

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

RIP

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923

Words cannot express my sadness for the Keck family, I wish them the best.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  154

condolenses to Al Keck and his family...sad story.   :-[

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

There was a report last year of Al Keck getting charged with spousal battery. I don't know whatever happened to those charges but I guess it's obvious that there was some trouble at home. That is terrible news...nothing in life is that bad for one to be driven to do such a thing.

Prayers for all the families...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

TV sportscaster arrested

By JACOB H. FRIES

Published May 4, 2005

LARGO - ABC Action News sports director Al Keck, 50, was arrested early Tuesday after his wife accused him of pushing her into a concrete column at their Largo home, authorities said.

While being booked into Pinellas County Jail on a charge of domestic battery, Keck complained of chest pain and was taken to Northside Hospital as a precaution, said Sgt. Jim Bordner, a sheriff's spokesman.

Keck was released on his own recognizance, said Bruce Bartlett, the chief assistant state attorney. The sportscaster remained a patient Tuesday. His condition was unknown.

Later Tuesday, Cheryl Keck, 46, went to prosecutors and in a sworn statement said she had only fallen, Bartlett said.

"The problem facing us, of course, is where do we go from here?" said Bartlett, adding that domestic violence victims often change their account to spare loved ones from prosecution.

Cheryl Keck had scrapes on her right arm and right knee when deputies arrived, Bordner said. The two "have been having some marital difficulties for a little while," the sergeant said.

Cheryl Keck called her husband at the television station Monday evening and told him that one of their children had been injured, Bordner said. When Keck returned home, his wife revealed that she had lied so that the two of them could speak in person, the sergeant said.

Then at 9:50 p.m., apparently angry by his wife's ruse, Al Keck pushed her against a column, Cheryl Keck told deputies, according to Bordner.

Al Keck then returned to the station in time for the 11 p.m. broadcast while his wife called authorities, Bordner said. Deputies contacted the sportscaster at the station and during a meeting at the Sheriff's Office, he denied pushing his wife, Bordner said.

He was booked at 1:30 a.m.

Phone messages left at the Keck residence were not returned.

"We're aware of the situation and we'll be looking into it," said Bill Carey, the station's general manager. "For now, it's a family matter and private."

[Last modified May 4, 2005, 00:56:08]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/04/Tampabay/TV_sportscaster_arres.shtml