• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chris Rainey to Gators

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

yawn

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

no big deal, the guy has been a gaytor his whole life, and has wanted to play there since he was a kid.  why bring this up?

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

We are like 38 deep at RB.  Ponton is going to be a stud.  Not at all worried about are depth or class at RB.

We need a QB and a 5 star reciever.  Never really landed a big tim -- big time -- big time speed guy.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  188

This isnt over for Chris, he's not the type of kid that will like being out of the spotlight.  I know he commited, but there's still a loooong time till signing day.  

I still dont think USF should recruit him.  But knowing him, Im almost positive he'll open things back up before its over.

Josh Newberg

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

We are like 38 deep at RB.  Ponton is going to be a stud.  Not at all worried about are depth or class at RB.

We need a QB and a 5 star reciever.  Never really landed a big tim -- big time -- big time speed guy.

What's a big time--big time speed guy?  Ryan Gilliam is pretty **** fast, and we've had countless speedsters.  I am guessing you mean a five star receiver with speed.

I will say that before his injury Amp Hill was as highly sought after as anyone we've ever seen.  Peyton was a top notcher too.  I also believe Taurus Johnson will prove to be all he was billed before it's all said and done.  It should be no shocker to anyone why Taurus originally committed to UF.

I really like the receiving crew's development, get a guy that can deliver the ball consistently and that will all work itself out, and will only help improve the running game.

I am with Josh about Rainey.  I like the kid, but he's little in stature.  If you watch Chris play he's got a very nice gait, but I wonder if he'd be conducive to being anything more than a gimmick at RB in college.  In college, he took his time to hit the line, and waited for the mamoth Lakeland OL to set him up, then just used his elusiveness to avoid tacklers.  I know it sounds great but with his size, and in college you need to hit the holes with authority, and that's really not what Chris Rainey does best.  He's a little guy that operates well in open space.  At 5-9 160lbs, he'd have a lot of work to do to get himself into college size, and shape.  I like Chris Rainey as a slot receiver, use that shiftiness, and speed on quick slants, and bubble screens it would allow him to get into open space quicker and take advantage of that elusiveness and speed.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Rainey will be a good college RB, I watched a few of his games next year. Her is not solid to UF as of yet, and will probably open the process back up. However, I think he'll end up there. We need to concentrate on other players rather than walk into a war with UF over a recruit.  

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I've watched Chris play since he was a 9th grader at Lakeland.  Rainey is too small for RB...and he's doesn't open up in the hole fast enough or explode at the point of attack for college RB.  One of the more elusive players I've seen in a while, very similar to Dexter McCluster but Dexter at least could run between tackles.

If you've seen Chris play then you'll know he's not even used exclusively at Lakeland.  Lakeland HS has a couple of big backs they use between the tackles, for toss sweeps (a big Dreadnaught weapon), and off-tackle runs they use Chris.  Sorry, but if Chris is going to play in college, particularly the SEC he needs to be effective between the tackles.  No dancing around, not hitting holes with authority, jitterbugging in the backfield routine like he does now in HS.  Not to mention, Chris has already reserved himself that corner or slot might be his option in HS.

I don't see a problem going against UF, we've done it before, we win seldom but we've won.  But I agre it isn't worth it because I don't think Rainey is a necessity for USF.  He's not a certain RB in college, and not a proven commodity at corner or receiver.  At best you've got an amazing small athlete (you got to love the speed and elusiveness), but USF doesn't have that luxury, UF does.  At UF they can allow him to return kicks at Chris could be a phenom doing that alone.   If we're going to go up against UF for a player we better know he's going to be able to contribute- immediately.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I've watched Chris play since he was a 9th grader at Lakeland. quote]

sbien-you need to stop hanging around ninth graders

USF DOESNT HAVE A QB OR PROFICIENT OFFENSE SO EVERYTHING ELSE DOESNT MATTER