• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lakelander Hopeful in Bucs' Rookie Camp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

TAMPA -- Kathleen graduate Tim Jones also became a University of South Florida graduate Saturday, but he didn't get to attend his commencement ceremonies.

He was busy trying to get a job in the NFL.

The former USF defensive end is one of 30 players invited to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' rookie camp this weekend on a tryout basis. Head coach Jon Gruden said they might take three or four of the invitees to training camp.

"We've got our eyes on three or four guys here," Gruden said. "We've just got to see how they handle tonight and tomorrow and the next night before we make our decision."

Gruden wouldn't say who the players are. Jones figures his chances are as good as anyone's.

"I feel like I'm in the same boat as the people who were drafted," Jones said. "If I can play better than them, hopefully I get a good opportunity to make the roster. We're on the same playing field. None of us have played in the pros."

Jones played four years at USF, three as a defensive end after spending his first season as a tight end. He went into last weekend's draft not knowing whether his name would be called or not, although he wound up with other things on his mind.

On Saturday at 2 a.m., about 10 hours before the draft began, Jones became a father when his wife Luz gave birth to a son, Timothy Jones Jr.

Monday, he and Luz celebrated their anniversary. Also Monday, he got a call from the Bucs inviting him to this weekend's tryout even though he knew it meant missing his college graduation.

That was no small thing. His degree means something to him. He redshirted at USF in 2004 to concentrate on his academics so that he could graduate this year with a degree in interdisciplanary social science.

"I wanted to be done with school when I'm done with (college) football," he said. "Everything worked out like I wanted."

His interdisciplanary social science degree, he explained, is actually a combination of two minors -- African studies and sociology. He plans to teach and perhaps someday coach.

In his senior year at Kathleen, Jones originally committed to go to the University of Miami as a tight end but changed his mind and signed with USF. In USF's offense, the tight end is rarely thrown to, so after his freshman season, he met with head coach Jim Leavitt about switching to defense.

It's hard to say how it would've worked out had he gone to Miami, where the tight end is a featured part of the offense, but Jones said he has no regrets.

"You can't do that," he said. "Everything happened for a reason. If I didn't come to USF, I wouldn't have met my wife, I wouldn't have the child right now.

"You can't go back in the past. A lot more good things have happened to me (at USF)."

In some ways, it's already been an eventful year for Jones.

A senior defensive end, he helped lead South Florida to its first-ever bowl game in its first year in the Big East. Then in March and early April, he watched his brother, Kathleen graduate Chris Richard, help Florida win the NCAA men's basketball title.

He wanted to be in Indianapolis for the Final Four, he said, but "My momma left me (home).

"She told me to focus on my school," Jones said. "She knows how important it is for me to graduate. She told me to focus on my school so I can graduate. That's the main reason I didn't go."

Now, he has graduated and he's looking for a job in the NFL. Initially, he said he was disappointed at not being drafted.

"Then I realized maybe I didn't do enough on the field for anybody to draft me," he said. "I just asked for an opportunity. Hopefully this one pays off."

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060507/NEWS/605060453/1002/SPORTS

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Good story..

I'm happy for Tim Jones and glad to see him graduate on time.  Copngratulations on the baby and the invite to camp.

Hope it goes well.  Jones sounds like a deserving and respectful young man.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Great news! We sat with Tim and his family at the football banquet so we wish them all nothing but the best! :D :D

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Wow.. Played college football, got married, had a kid, graduated from USF, and got invited to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' rookie camp this weekend.

Not bad.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Good for Tim...another good story out of Lakeland Kathleen High School.  

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

does he have a chance at going to their camp this summer?

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

the only guy signed was the DB from Ga Tech but there is still hope for him to catch on with another team

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

We're really to miss Tim Jones next season. Best of luck to him with the Bucs!