• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Current Tampa Campus Plan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

The universities offical stance is that they are IN NO WAY, interested in University Mall.  Could that change?  sure... but we would still have all of the shopping and housing in between the mall area and Bruce B (with USF on the other side).  The mall does not own that stuff, therefore you can't move em.

DO REMEMBER, USF owns 600 or so acres of land north of Fletcher Ave, including the Claw.... which has been talked about before.  It is currently being used for bio research, so who knows what you can do with that.

I agree that with the location (south of the Sun Dome), it wouldnt be enough room.  BUT, that might be something you would want to voice once they start talking about an OCS... as this really is jumping the gun.  ;)

Of course, like I said, it is just a "placeholder" to keep the option of an OCS alive... the location could move anywhere.  Just like the locations of the two parking garages south and west of the sun dome "could" change.  It's not in stone, its just a "plan" that allows the public to know where USF is heading.

I'll try to get clairification from Planning on the OCS.  They mentioned it at the Feb 20th ACE workgroup meeting, but it wasnt in the meetings minutes.  I'll look into it.

Billy Schmidt

Director of Academic Affairs

USF Student Government

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  60

We had this discussion on Feb 4, which is actually where I got that graphic from.  I can't see an OCS going there, unless it's a piece of crap microscopic erector set OCS like the Knights are building.

Oh UEI, you can say what you want on this board, but there is not a bull fan out there that would not trade RJS for an on campus stadium.   That erector set you trash is better than FSU had in the late 80's and early 90's.  Its not that large of a step from building the stadium to bricking it in for class room purposes and guess what, you will pay for that, you and every other Florida tax payer.  

You guys need to drop that whole University Mall dream, you could not buy that if you had Notre Dame's money.  There are at least five pieces that would need to be purchased and the largest was purchased by Rob Glimscher in 1997 for $120,890,000.  In todays money, that is over 175,000,000, now add in Macy's, Dillards and Sears, if you could convince them all to sell and you would be well over $225,000,000 before you even moved an ounce of dirt.  Now payout all those leases, the demolision and so on and your dream would cost well over $350,000,000 for an average stadium at best.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

STK is back...

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

There is an outline for an OCS in the masterplan, just look in the sun dome parking lot, its there, but hard to find

Nice Find Man.  How did you catch that bro?

It's been mentioned around adminisrative circles... did it state anything in the Oracle acticle?

I've known taht the dotted line was an "OCS placeholder" since Feb...

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

The universities offical stance is that they are IN NO WAY, interested in University Mall.  Could that change?  sure... but we would still have all of the shopping and housing in between the mall area and Bruce B (with USF on the other side).  The mall does not own that stuff, therefore you can't move em.

DO REMEMBER, USF owns 600 or so acres of land north of Fletcher Ave, including the Claw.... which has been talked about before.  It is currently being used for bio research, so who knows what you can do with that.

I agree that with the location (south of the Sun Dome), it wouldnt be enough room.  BUT, that might be something you would want to voice once they start talking about an OCS... as this really is jumping the gun.  ;)

Of course, like I said, it is just a "placeholder" to keep the option of an OCS alive... the location could move anywhere.  Just like the locations of the two parking garages south and west of the sun dome "could" change.  It's not in stone, its just a "plan" that allows the public to know where USF is heading.

I'll try to get clairification from Planning on the OCS.  They mentioned it at the Feb 20th ACE workgroup meeting, but it wasnt in the meetings minutes.  I'll look into it.

Billy Schmidt

Director of Academic Affairs

USF Student Government

Thanks for the info, keep it coming.

Much of the land owned North of Fletcher are wetlands.  Mitigating for the the filling of these wetlands would be a very, very costly thing for the University to do. These wetlands our contiguous with the Hillsborough River, adding to the difficulty of permitting such development. I know because I work in this field.  USF would do much better to stay within the campus boundaries and just build up.  The campus is already spread out enough.  

Plus it is an awfully good area for our science programs to conduct research within a five minute drive of campus.  

Touche... I agree... (since its my job to look out for Academics and not Athletics!)

We can fit a great OCS on campus... somehow...

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in, back when this first came up I think someone mentioned it being a new soccer stadium.  alright, that's understandable.  now it's supposed to be a parking garage?  no freaking way that's a parking garage.  for one, it's shaped like a stadium.  for two, its not labeled like every other proposed parking structure on the map.  after reading usfhotpr's posts, I think he's right, it's just a placeholder for an ocs (be it soccer or football).

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Oh UEI, you can say what you want on this board, but there is not a bull fan out there that would not trade RJS for an on campus stadium.   That erector set you trash is better than FSU had in the late 80's and early 90's.  Its not that large of a step from building the stadium to bricking it in for class room purposes and guess what, you will pay for that, you and every other Florida tax payer.  

You guys need to drop that whole University Mall dream, you could not buy that if you had Notre Dame's money.  There are at least five pieces that would need to be purchased and the largest was purchased by Rob Glimscher in 1997 for $120,890,000.  In todays money, that is over 175,000,000, now add in Macy's, Dillards and Sears, if you could convince them all to sell and you would be well over $225,000,000 before you even moved an ounce of dirt.  Now payout all those leases, the demolision and so on and your dream would cost well over $350,000,000 for an average stadium at best.

He's like a bad penny... keeps turning up.

n5000671_30744094_5263.jpg

n5000671_30744096_5730.jpg