• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Current Tampa Campus Plan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

I saw that today as well, and having worked in higher education for seven years now, and seen several schools boost enrollments by similar margins, I can cast a great deal of doubt.

If enrollment increases by that much, or even half as much, it is a necessity that academic standards for admission will fall.

We should be gaining that many students, although standards are tricky.  No one, even those in admissions, could tell you exactly what you need to get into the university.  Of course they let some low GPAs come in, etc.... but overall our standards have increased, but with the larger high school grad rate, we have to create more spaces.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  1,158

Well you are close on one, in high school the nickname was "crant".  In college, this was somewhat after Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, it migrated to So-Crates, as pronounced in the movie.  Then that got shortened to just "crates" by some.  So those are names I already respond to.  Think they'll let me change my USF business cards?   ;)

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I talked personally with Planning about this, and that outline IS a dotted line for an OCS.  The rectangle shape structures closer to business are the two new parking garages.  The strange dotted like thing to the east is the OCS outline.  It is just a "placemarker", required if we are planning on it in the future - shows the Board of Governors that we have looked into it in the past, location can change.

Rather than argue with you about this, I'll let the wonders of imagery and physics make my argument for me:

footballfield.jpg

A football field BARELY fits on that parking lot.  Hence, there's no way in hell that you can build a feasible D1-A stadium around it.  Whoever you talked to in planning must be smoking indo if they think we can build a stadium there without A.  Knocking down the Sun Dome or B. Shutting down Alumni Drive.   ;)

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

perhaps they could shut down alumni drive temporarily and rerun it through all those fields they have the intramural sports on, or just build the stadium on the field.  I still think the best place would the the university mall

Lol... I like that graphic... I might use it next time I talk to planning...

I'm just telling you what they told the Board of Trustees and myself...

Like I said, its a "placeholder,"  the locations may (and in my opinion - will) change.

Guest bullistic930

The most convincing thing about that map is that, first, the "dotted line" DOES seem to be in the shape of a stadium.  Second, that area is not marked as being a parking area.

I promise you that we are not building a parking garage in the shape of a stadium... although that would be funny... it isnt happening.

The fields next to the elem school (south of the Sun Dome) are going to be the Patel Center for Global Solutions.... so I doubt they can run over or past alumni drive.

Again, I would assume the OCS would go somewhere else, and that the dotted line is again JUST A PLACEHOLDER

The Board of Governors really don't care, as long as we plan on creating the OCS.  Thats the reason why we have a Campus Master Plan, to tell everyone what we PLAN on having, some things won't get built, and other may and will change.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Lol... I like that graphic... I might use it next time I talk to planning...

I'm just telling you what they told the Board of Trustees and myself...

Like I said, its a "placeholder,"  the locations may (and in my opinion - will) change.

=)

We had this discussion on Feb 4, which is actually where I got that graphic from.  I can't see an OCS going there, unless it's a piece of crap microscopic erector set OCS like the Knights are building.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

=)

We had this discussion on Feb 4, which is actually where I got that graphic from.  I can't see an OCS going there, unless it's a piece of crap microscopic erector set OCS like the Knights are building.

Yea, I remember that discussion. I actually thought it was going to be the longest thread ever, but it died down after we started to place different stadiums on that same location.

I still believe that A stadium can be built there, but there is absolutely no room for parking… Not to mention the traffic that it will bring.

Guest bullistic930

You can't plan on building in a location you do not currently own. I'm with USFHOTPR, perhaps its a placeholder, and the ultimate plan is to demolish the mall. They just can't SAY that right now because that's jumping ahead a bit.

Most would agree that the mall would be the best spot.  Provide enough outlets and traffic should flow well with 2 interstates within 5 miles.

If that can't happen, then how about on Fowler Ave. EAST of I-75.  As far as I can tell there's not much out there. It has good access to I-75 too.  It wouldnt be an OCS at that point, but pretty close.