• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wikipedia Article Speculates about USF Rivals...

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

And journalists can print anything they want nowadays, so there's no difference.  You'll notice that your sole quote outside of the local area was that there is the potential of a rivalry.  People here can hype it all they want, but the national media doesn't view this as a rivalry.  Local media is just trying to sell the paper.

Few people outside the local area care about Armwood vs. Jefferson, but it is still a rivalry.  

Do I need for USA Today to pick that one up before it can be called one?

Did I miss when the rest of the nation started caring about USF....or even knowing about USF?  

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

If you are an editor that wants to keep his or her job you better not let facts get in the way of selling a few more newspapers. After all the greatest award in the industry is named after the man that brought us "yellow journalism". An article about how a game is not a rivalry does not have alot of legs but one about a "potential" rivalry can be spun, rehashed and sold.

So lets make sure that tradition continues by placing our major focus on cultivating what the rest of the world and a portion of our fan base sees as being the "Bore on I-4".

Few people outside the local area care about Armwood vs. Jefferson, but it is still a rivalry.  

Do I need for USA Today to pick that one up before it can be called one?

Did I miss when the rest of the nation started caring about USF....or even knowing about USF?  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22

Wow, I take a week off from this rivalry thread and I return and it is still here.  It is amazing that some of us are still posting here at page 13 that it isn't a rivalry.  Lets look at this scientifically then, based on the idea that a rivalry is made by the mutual passion of team's fans, lets start a thread about our rivalry with Louisville and see how long it lasts.  Seriously, I'd love to say our rival is UF or FSU or USC or Texas but we're not quite there yet, I'll take despising UCF over nobody.

If you are an editor that wants to keep his or her job you better not let facts get in the way of selling a few more newspapers. After all the greatest award in the industry is named after the man that brought us "yellow journalism". An article about how a game is not a rivalry does not have alot of legs but one about a "potential" rivalry can be spun, rehashed and sold.

I'm sure the USF/UCF rivalry piece sold a lot of extra newspapers that day.  I think the tally was 4.

So lets make sure that tradition continues by placing our major focus on cultivating what the rest of the world and a portion of our fan base sees as being the "Bore on I-4".

No focus needed.  Just schedule the game and let the rest take care of itself.  This is a game that was undermarketed and still did well.  I imagine UCF will hype the ever-living **** out of it this fall though.

And until that yearly Notre Dame series opens up....sure, sounds good.  

We will see if the game continues beyond this game (this is only a two game series, right?). If so I hope we see just how bad they want this game to continue by offering them a 2 for 1 or a cash game, that is about the best they can hope for from a BCS team. They will be insulted at first but eventualy their hard on for wanting to beat us may lead them to sign the deal, if not we can find another midmajor team no one cares about to fill the void.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

Wow I stopped participating in this thread...oh, about 8 pages ago.

But it speaks for itself now.  

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Judging by the length of this thread, i'd have guessed it was about kickers or something.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

ok ... will do my part to keep thread moving foward... must be something of a record for size...