• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting things from Greg's blog

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm not going to post the whole thing.  You can go here

-- Great post on the message boards at thebullspen.com, pointing out that for the third year in a row, the Bulls signed a player named Carlton. Two years ago, they got safety Carlton Williams from Valdosta, then quarterback Carlton Hill last year, and receiver Carlton Mitchell from Gaither today. Reminds me of a 1982 Fleer baseball card from the All-Star game, showing Steve Carlton and Carlton Fisk. The front was titled "Steve and Carlton, Carlton and Fisk." Hey, back in second grade, it made your brain cramp just taking it in. Now, if Leavitt can find two more guys named Sabbath, I'll be impressed ...

-- Watching a good chunk of the team practice outside the athletic facility Wednesday afternoon, I have a better appreciation for Anthony Severino, the walk-on quarterback now entering his fourth season with the Bulls. There are no coaches at these off-season drills, and Severino was a de facto offensive coordinator, signaling in plays to quarterbacks Carlton Hill, Grant Gregory and Matt Grothe. (Not sure where Pat Julmiste was, but he's a regular at these workouts). Anyway, Severino reminds me of a quarterback from my college days at Florida, Brian Schottenheimer. He's Marty's son, transferred in from Kansas and spent four years toting a clipboard, content to learn offensive strategies from Steve Spurrier. Sure enough, Schotty has taken well to coaching, and this week, he was named as offensive coordinator of the New York Jets, just 32 years old. I'm not saying Severino will find the same success, but I think he's a smart kid who could be a good coach if he wanted.

-- Except for Frank Harry (who prepped in Louisiana and played juco ball in Mississippi), the rest of USF's 28-member class is all from Florida. Having said that, Leavitt made an interesting announcement, saying the Bulls would expand their recruiting territory next year. Lawrence Dawsey, who's from Alabama, and Wally Burnham, who played for Bear Bryant, will recruit on a low level in Alabama, and Greg Gregory will look for talent in Georgia and especially Atlanta. Greg Frey and Rich Rachel will continue to recruit in New Jersey. I'd still expect 20 Bulls from the home state next year, but it's good to see a little change, too.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  0

Fire Rod Smith, Hire Anthony Severino    ;D

Also glad to see we will be expanding our recruiting territory

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

transferred in from Kansas and spent four years toting a clipboard, content to learn offensive strategies from Steve Spurrier.

ummm...yeah I don't expect to see Severino coaching the Jets anytime soon.

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

We can always hope for a little osmosis

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You know the funny thing is that many national sports personalities (Jim Rome and Lee Corso come to mind) used to rip on Florida for giving a schoalrship to a kid for the SPECIFIC reason of holding the clipboard. In all actuality this kid was like another coach (usually signaled in plays) on the sideline and was seen as a future head coach while still a player. Pretty funny that he's an NFL offensive coordinator after less than 10 years out of college.

Severino, to me, has a lot of the same qualities.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Severino, to me, has a lot of the same qualities.

except the mentor....

feb 3rd and no news  :(

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Greg, you're welcome for the material for your blog.   ;)

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

bulls96go

can sevie chuck the rock?
 No!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

age has nothing to with ability to be a good coach