• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another BULL in Trouble ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

doesn't effect team...

USF's Green Latest Bull To Be Arrested

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Apr 6, 2004

TAMPA - DeJuan Green, South Florida's leading rusher last season, owes more than $2,500 in delinquent child support payments.

Green owes Lavander Yvette Collier, who gave birth to their daughter, Lavonya Dejuna Green, on Feb. 19, 1998, $2,526.82, a Duval County child support spokeswoman said.

Green, who has no eligibility remaining at USF, is the second Bull arrested in the past few weeks for delinquent child support payments. Senior wide receiver Brian Fisher was arrested March 22 for owing nearly $17,500 in delinquent payments to two women.

A 1999 graduate of Jacksonville Raines, Green said he spoke with Collier, who lives in Jacksonville, Sunday and ``she plans on taking me off [being responsible for payments].

``I talk to her and my daughter all the time,'' Green said. ``I love my daughter. The reason I'm so far behind is because I can't get a job [as a scholarship student-athlete]. I don't want my mom to pay for it. It's my responsibility. I'll take care of it the best way I can. I'm paying a little money here and there.''

Green's last payment was $500 on March 22, the Duval County spokeswoman said. Green said he got the $500 from the $1,700 Pell Grant he receives at the start of each semester.

Since transferring from Georgia to USF in 2001 Green has been arrested three times - March 8 for contempt of court, failing to pay child support; Feb. 14, 2003, for providing a false name to a law enforcement officer (using teammate Elgin Hicks' name) and two counts of driving with a suspended/revoked license; and Sept. 9, 2001, driving with a suspended/revoked license.

Gene Burrough, Green's agent, said he wouldn't be surprised if Green is selected in the NFL draft, April 24-25. Green recorded the fastest 40 (4.47) at USF's Pro Timing Day March 19.

``I don't think he's a household name because he went to a team that threw a lot,'' Burrough said. ``But he will be a household name in the NFL. He'll be one of the great players in the NFL. This kid is outstanding. He's a true, legitimate big-time back.''

Last season Green led USF in yards rushing (490) and rushing TDs (five). He was one of two Bulls selected for the Blue-Gray All-Star Game, rushing for 21 yards on six carries on Christmas Day.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

Wow, and the curse of the NYT article strikes again.  Maybe these guys should spend more time in the weight room instead of the waiting room.

providing a false name to a law enforcement officer (using teammate Elgin Hicks' name)

Why ?

"I talk to her and my daughter all the time,'' Green said. ``I love my daughter. The reason I'm so far behind is because I can't get a job [as a scholarship student-athlete]. I don't want my mom to pay for it. It's my responsibility. I'll take care of it the best way I can. I'm paying a little money here and there.''

Granted, I don't know the whole story, but I do disagree with aresting someone who IS making an attempt to pay the child support. The arrest does NOT help this matter IMO.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

man if we could get all the player's baby momma's, kids, and parole officers to attend games we would have a sellout every weekend!  is it really that hard for these guys to WRAP IT UP  ::)

but remember, getting pregnant takes 2 ... but why not wrap it up?  :-/

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

Yeah, the lack of responsibility being displayed by these athletes concerns me, I guess. But I'm coming from a very different background, where I spent a long time more concerned about my alma mater's graduation rate than the win/loss percentage.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

I cant gloat over this one... Its not something USF can control.  If they would let colleges put locks on the players  zippers it would help.  as for him not letting his mother help... Im sorry let the kid go without instead.  Parents help kids out all the time.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

But I'm coming from a very different background, where I spent a long time more concerned about my alma mater's graduation rate than the win/loss percentage.

Now that ur a Bull Bobcat, we expect you to get your priorities in line...understand?!   After graddy-u-aye-shun its all about the Dubyas.  ;D

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

also as for arresting him.... he says he pays a little now n then... what does that mean... does he give her some of the money on a regular basis or does he just give her a couple of bucks every so often.... we dont know the whole story so its hard to judge whether he is or isnt trying to do the right thing.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

also as for arresting him.... he says he pays a little now n then... what does that mean... does he give her some of the money on a regular basis or does he just give her a couple of bucks every so often.... we dont know the whole story so its hard to judge whether he is or isnt trying to do the right thing.

He sounds sincere from the quotes given in the story.  I feel bad for his daughter, but now that he's got no eligiblity remianing, what's to stop him from going to get a job NOW to pay his responsibility?