• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brent Schaeffer commits to Ole Miss

Guest wooly

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

if usf keeps florida talent home,they can win a NC

if usf can't keep talent home,shut the thing down

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

And by the way Carlton Hill was recruited as an athlete, who played QB in high school. By no way its rod smiths fault, and any other OC would have had the same problem this year.

Actually, I think smazz was right again.

Leavitt recruited Hill as a QB.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/683101721.html?MAC=73a348c0edf1b1ff37924fcf10dfb5ca&did=683101721&FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=Aug+25%2C+2004&author=GREG+AUMAN&pub=&printformat=&desc=Another+prep+QB+commits+to+Bulls

Another prep QB commits to Bulls; [sOUTH PINELLAS Edition]

GREG AUMAN. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Aug 25, 2004. pg. 10.C

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Aug 25, 2004

There's a surprising parade of high school quarterbacks commiting to play for USF, and the latest may be the best yet.

Carlton Hill, a 6-foot-4, 212-pound passer from Monticello rated among the top 10 senior quarterbacks in the country by one recruiting site, said Tuesday he has decided to sign with USF in February, the fourth quarterback to commit to the program in the past month.

"They were encouraging me to come be their franchise player," said Hill, who has passed for more than 3,100 yards and 30 touchdowns in the past two seasons. "It was close to home, I liked their program and their facilities, and with them moving to the Big East, I like where they're heading."

Hill and his Jefferson County High coach, Jeff Schaum, were driving home from a passing camp at the University of Miami this summer when they stopped at USF for an unannounced visit. Coach Jim Leavitt stopped what he was doing to give Hill a tour of the Bulls' new athletic facilities.

"Coach Leavitt dropped everything to spend time with this kid, and that made a strong impression on him," said Schaum, who was a graduate assistant at Florida State on the same staff as USF linebackers coach Wally Burnham, who recruited Hill for USF.

Theinsiders.com has Hill ranked as the state's No. 2 passer and ninth nationally, and his commitment is the kind of early-season coup that can help other recruits choose the Bulls. There could be more from his own school, as Schaum said USF is also recruiting his top receiver, J.R. Sloan, as well as running back Markyce Larry and lineman Robert Nealy.

Leavitt will have a crowded backfield next fall, when he'll return three scholarship quarterbacks in starter Pat Julmiste, freshman Louis Gachette and recent Auburn transfer Courtney Denson. Two high school quarterbacks, Lake Gibson senior Matt Grothe and Hillsborough junior Jarred Fayson, also recently said they'll accept scholarship offers to play for USF.

"I don't mind competing," said Hill, who is USF's fourth overall commitment for 2005.

- GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

Tennessee didnt have any control over his destination after he went I-AA and then transferred, i believe

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Actually, I think smazz was right again.

Leavitt recruited Hill as a QB.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/683101721.html?MAC=73a348c0edf1b1ff37924fcf10dfb5ca&did=683101721&FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=Aug+25%2C+2004&author=GREG+AUMAN&pub=&printformat=&desc=Another+prep+QB+commits+to+Bulls

Another prep QB commits to Bulls; [sOUTH PINELLAS Edition]

GREG AUMAN. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Aug 25, 2004. pg. 10.C

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Aug 25, 2004

There's a surprising parade of high school quarterbacks commiting to play for USF, and the latest may be the best yet.

Carlton Hill, a 6-foot-4, 212-pound passer from Monticello rated among the top 10 senior quarterbacks in the country by one recruiting site, said Tuesday he has decided to sign with USF in February, the fourth quarterback to commit to the program in the past month.

"They were encouraging me to come be their franchise player," said Hill, who has passed for more than 3,100 yards and 30 touchdowns in the past two seasons. "It was close to home, I liked their program and their facilities, and with them moving to the Big East, I like where they're heading."

Hill and his Jefferson County High coach, Jeff Schaum, were driving home from a passing camp at the University of Miami this summer when they stopped at USF for an unannounced visit. Coach Jim Leavitt stopped what he was doing to give Hill a tour of the Bulls' new athletic facilities.

"Coach Leavitt dropped everything to spend time with this kid, and that made a strong impression on him," said Schaum, who was a graduate assistant at Florida State on the same staff as USF linebackers coach Wally Burnham, who recruited Hill for USF.

Theinsiders.com has Hill ranked as the state's No. 2 passer and ninth nationally, and his commitment is the kind of early-season coup that can help other recruits choose the Bulls. There could be more from his own school, as Schaum said USF is also recruiting his top receiver, J.R. Sloan, as well as running back Markyce Larry and lineman Robert Nealy.

Leavitt will have a crowded backfield next fall, when he'll return three scholarship quarterbacks in starter Pat Julmiste, freshman Louis Gachette and recent Auburn transfer Courtney Denson. Two high school quarterbacks, Lake Gibson senior Matt Grothe and Hillsborough junior Jarred Fayson, also recently said they'll accept scholarship offers to play for USF.

"I don't mind competing," said Hill, who is USF's fourth overall commitment for 2005.

- GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

Nowhere in that story does it say that Leavitt recruited Hill as a QB...