• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Columbia Restaurant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  295
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks Mr. Richard Gonzmart...he decided to thank the community..giving $1 million to local charities...the University of South Florida Athletic Foundation..plus a scholarship endowment for Latinos at USF..half of the million goes to the Moffit Cancer Center..other charities were listed also...how cool is that...thanks again Mr. Richard Gonzmart

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

good use it to find an new OC

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/10/Hillsborough/Columbia_gives_1M_to_.shtml

Columbia gives $1M to charities

To celebrate 100 years, the restaurant donates $100,000 for every decade that the original in Ybor City has been in business.

By BRADY DENNIS, Times Staff Writer

Published January 10, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Richard Gonzmart thought long and hard about how to leave a lasting mark during the 100th anniversary of the Columbia Restaurant, the family business his great-grandfather founded in 1905.

"I really wanted to do something that would make my parents, grandparents and great-grandfather proud," the restaurant's president and co-owner said. "We're successful because of the community that has supported us."

So he decided to thank the community by giving $1-million to local charities - $100,000 for each decade the Columbia has been in business.

"That's a lot of rice and beans," Gonzmart said.

Half of that money will go toward Tampa's H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute to fund a study of pediatric sarcoma, which attacks bones and tissue. Gonzmart lost his grandfather, father and father-in-law to cancer and said his mission is to find a cure.

The remaining donations will help fund the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, the local Boys & Girls Clubs and Villa Madonna school, the University of South Florida Athletic Foundation, a scholarship endowment for Latinos at USF, an Ybor City middle school for promising inner-city children, and other local and state charities.

Gonzmart has become one of the area's leading philanthropists, donating money to community causes and even raising charity funds by competing in marathons.

The Columbia holds an annual Community Harvest program at its seven restaurants throughout Florida, during which 5 percent of all lunch and dinner checks goes to charities. It has given money to schools like Jesuit High School and the Academy of the Holy Names.

Gonzmart explained the 100th anniversary donation: "It would be easy to keep our money. But that's not the responsible thing. That's not what my parents and grandparents would do. That's not what I want my kids to do."

He said he hopes that future generations of his family will continue to give back to a community that has given them so much.

"We're thankful we're here. What an honor," he said. "I hope we're here 100 more years."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,747
  • Content Count:  37,637
  • Days Won:  29

Great ... THANX !!!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's terrific.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

perhaps they could endow a supply of paella and 1905 salad. yum.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  295

:) Next time I eat there I will certainly mention it and thank them for there support...I wish the papers would have given them more PR..does anyone know if the Tampa Trib had an article...didnt hear a word on TV news..maybe others will follow his generosity..

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Thank you Gonzmart family. I had the pleasure of meeting Casey Gonzmart in Sarasota. They own a couple of restaurants there.