• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Verdejo Transferring to USF BBALL!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

Former Top Prep Basketball Recruit Transferring To USF

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Jan 9, 2006

Related Links:

WFLA Report From Charlotte

Meineke Car Care Bowl Photos

Meineke Car Care Bowl Stats

Bulls Report - Brett McMurphy Blog

USF Football: Roster | Results | Statistics

Purchase USF Football Tickets

ADVERTISEMENT

More from this channel:

Search our archives: Type keyword(s)

30 days6 months2005200420032002200120001999199819971996199519941993199219911990All    

Past 7 days most viewed | Tribune archive from 1990

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Jesus Verdejo, one of the nation's top prep players at Miami Christian in 2002, is transferring from Arizona to the University of South Florida.

A 6-foot-4, 195-pound guard, Verdejo will become eligible in December and have 2 1/2 years of eligibility at USF.

"It's been two years on the bench watching people play," Verdejo said. "I can't wait to get on the court. I'm ready to take USF's program to another level. I want to show people what I can do."

As a freshman at Arizona last season, Verdejo played 26 games, averaging 2.3 points. He was to be redshirted at Arizona this season before deciding to leave.

"Jesus can score with anyone," Arizona coach Lute Olson said before the season. "He just needs to work on the transition from offense to defense."

At Miami Christian, Verdejo averaged 28 points, seven rebounds and five assists as a senior, finishing as the school's all-time leading scorer. After Miami Christian, Verdejo played in 2003 at The Winchendon (Mass.) School, averaging 22.9 points at the prep school.

"I considered South Florida out of high school, but this time there was a whole different staff," Verdejo said. "I'm really impressed with Coach [Robert] McCullum and [assistant] Coach [Greg] Gary."

"Choosing USF was more of a trust issue," said Art Alvarez, Verdejo's coach at Miami Christian. "It's one thing to want him, but they needed him. It's a real good situation for Jesus."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

thanks for the post and letting these people know that there are good things happening with our basketball program.

CRM will take us where we need to go.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

"I considered South Florida out of high school, but this time there was a whole different staff," Verdejo said. "I'm really impressed with Coach [Robert] McCullum and [assistant] Coach [Greg] Gary."

HUH?  What has CRM done to impress this kid?  Was it crm's first year going 7-20, or the impressive 14-16 record his second year, or maybe the 6-23?( most likely) during his third year.   I sure would be impressed.  Glad for the pick up, hopefully this kid can take us to being at least competitive with some of the teams we play.  

Hopefully crm is the man to take us to the next level and hopefully he has just had the worst luck in the world with injuries which explains the horrible past 3 seasons, because we invested heavily in him taking us there.  

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

hmmmm, next year's squad is looking better by the day...

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

interesting last month he was going to transfer ti miami....wonder what happened?

probably realized he was going to see about 30 minutes a game here no matter what.

i dont know how much you guys follow high school basketball in florida but these guy is a player for sure.

specially a guy from florida getting a ride to AZ.

he pretty much OWNED the AAU leagues in florida for 2 years straight.

ask Amarie Stoudmire about him.........