• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The vibe is because minor league sports are not events, it doesn’t matter where you play them being in the minors is the problem 

ucf created a vibe before they were in the Big 12.  it didn't just happen overnight

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

ucf created a vibe before they were in the Big 12.  it didn't just happen overnight

I went to the game where we beat them in the citrus bowl and the following game where we beat them on campus, they didn’t feel particularly special in either vibe. They knew they were left behind and nothing about it felt particularly exciting for them because of location. They also managed to have an empty on campus vibeless stadium until they started regularly beating P5 teams,  national brands are all that matters and none of those exist in this version of the aac. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Cat941 said:

Why are we surprised at low attendance?  Our conference and team are regularly disparaged as being inferior and undeserving.  Sometimes it's us old-timers doing the belittling.  

Yes, because twenty-odd years past, USF football was a bright, new shiny object. Didn't matter if we were playing Drake or Valparaiso - we were amped up for it because it was fresh. The decades pass and the fanbase ages and starts to take a critical look at where the program - honest to god - really is. The world has changed, and what we aspire to has not come to fruition. We are very much not playing teams people have heard of (threads on the board with "I don't know who's in our conference" and "I never heard of these schools") that garner objective interest. How'd I spend Saturday? Watched USF on television, followed by Florida State then Georgia. Were I not some measure of a USF fan, I can't say I'd have tuned in for Temple. I think the OGs tend to fondly remember the early days and that level of excitement, when the competition was EVEN WORSE than what we play now.  We're an impatient lot. We want to play - dare I say it - real teams. We pine to exit our conference and somehow land in P(x) land. And every Saturday that we play an AAC schedule is a not-so-subtle reminder of where we are not. And as the OGs have aged, they're a lot less likely to gloss over shortcomings. Maybe the second generation of USF fans will have a different perspective. Maybe if 2023 is the beginning of an upward trajectory, attendance will increase. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I went to the game where we beat them in the citrus bowl and the following game where we beat them on campus, they didn’t feel particularly special in either vibe. They knew they were left behind and nothing about it felt particularly exciting for them because of location. They also managed to have an empty on campus vibeless stadium until they started regularly beating P5 teams,  national brands are all that matters and none of those exist in this version of the aac. 

You didn't like the last version either.  ucf built their brand in the aac before they got called up.  not the other way around

1 minute ago, olafberserker said:

You didn't like the last version either.  ucf built their brand in the aac before they got called up.  not the other way around

By beating big name brands on the big stage, if they go undefeated in aac and didn’t have their NY6 moments in the sun absolutely no one would be aware of it.

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

By beating big name brands on the big stage, if they go undefeated in aac and didn’t have their NY6 moments in the sun absolutely no one would be aware of it.

They had to go undefeated in the aac to get to the big stage.  beating auburn in the boca bowl wouldn't have meant ****.  they also did other things to help build that vibe as they were winning in the aac

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

44 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

I don’t pay enough attention to them. Are you talking about the 2017 national championship vibe?

30 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

The decades pass and the fanbase ages and starts to take a critical look at where the program - honest to god - really is.

Great summary for me.  

55 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

They had to go undefeated in the aac to get to the big stage.  beating auburn in the boca bowl wouldn't have meant ****.  they also did other things to help build that vibe as they were winning in the aac

Now they would get to hope power houses like Liberty and James Madison falter to give them a shot

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  454
  • Days Won:  0

Is USF doing anything to create a vibe for the students today? Does not seem like anything should preclude them from offering a better game day experience while at Ray Jay. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

20 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

Is USF doing anything to create a vibe for the students today? Does not seem like anything should preclude them from offering a better game day experience while at Ray Jay. 

Winning and playing good teams will go a long way.