• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can we steal a 4star recruit from UM yet again?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Despite verbal committment to Miami, James looking elsewhere

Immokalee's Javarris James, who verbally committed to the Canes last summer, is now considering Florida, South Florida, Nebraska and USC

By TOM HANSON, tahanson@naplesnews.com

December 16, 2005

Javarris James could be making a "U"-turn.

The star running back at Immokalee High School might not be making the trip across Alligator Alley to play for the University of Miami.

James is hinting that he could be backing out of a verbal commitment to attend Miami, known as the "U" to its fans, next season. His actions, taking official visits to other schools such as the University of South Florida, speak volumes.

"I love the "U," but ..." James said.

It's one of those inconspicuous "buts" that could throw a wrench into Miami head coach Larry Coker's recruiting plans. James, the 2004 Naples Daily News Offensive Player of the Year, is taking an official visit to South Florida in Tampa on Jan. 20. He's also lining up trips to Florida, Nebraska and Southern California.

"I just want to make sure I made the right decision," James said.

Miami looked like a foregone conclusion when James called Coker this past August before the Indians' season started and verbally committed.

Everyone expected it. James' cousin, Edgerrin James of the Indianapolis Colts, starred at Miami.

Javarris, who is affectionately called "Baby J," even planned on wearing No. 5, too.

But James admits to having doubts now. National Signing Day, when players officially sign, isn't until Feb. 1.

Weighing on his decision is the fact that James knows he'll have a tougher, and longer, time cracking the Miami starting lineup.

Current Hurricanes starting running Tyrone Moss is expected back for his senior season. Sophomore Charlie Jones also saw significant time at tailback with Moss out for the season with a knee injury.

At USF, James has been told he could be a starter next season.

The Bulls' leading rusher, Andre Hall, is graduating. Former Barron Collier standout Moise Planchard, a freshman this season, will compete for the job. South Florida has only one running back committed at this point (Keely Dorsey, from Tallahassee-Lincoln).

"If I go to Miami I'm probably going to be redshirted," James said. "I probably won't play for two years, but at a school like USF, I could start right away."

James' interest in USF started when he and teammate John Paul took in the Bulls' game against West Virginia two weekends ago.

He said he was impressed that USF plays its home games in Raymond James Stadium. He also noted the Bulls, who joined the Big East this season, are a program on the rise.

"USF is an awesome situation," James said. "Playing in the Buccaneers' stadium is certainly impressive."

James mentioned an interest in Florida ? especially after quarterback Tim Tebow, the No. 1-ranked signal caller in the state, committed to the Gators on Tuesday night. Riverdale running back Chevon Walker is already committed to Florida and will be attending classes in January.

"A guy like Tebow makes Florida really attractive," James said.

"He's the real deal. He's going to make them a winner and everyone wants to play for a winner."

If James went somewhere besides Miami, he'd have a chance to create his own identity.

"Anywhere I go I will always be in the shadow of Edgerrin," he said. "But if I went somewhere else besides Miami, I would have a better chance to make a name for myself."

If James changes his mind, it could mark the second straight year that the Hurricanes have failed to sign a running back.

www.naplesnews.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That would be incredible!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

"I just want to make sure I made the right decision," James said.

We heard that from C4 last year lets just hope we have the same out come

;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

At USF, James has been told he could be a starter next season

Could be a starter, not would be a starter ........ I hope he understands the difference if he comes here.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146

To me the kid is unbelievable.  I have looked at the video for all of the 3, 4, and 5 star running backs in the state and in my opinion, he is by far the best.  No, he doesn't have 4.4 speed like the other 5 star guys, but he has one of the nastiest cut back moves I've seen in a long time.  He also finishes every run, meaning that when he goes down, he initiates contact and gets another 2 or 3 yards.  This guy is major talent and if he chooses us over UM I believe it would be bigger than the C. Hill signing.

P.S.  Purely speculative, but could you imagine 2 or 3 years from now, with C. Hill at QB, James at RB, and our Receiving core?  (of course with a new OC ;) )    That would be awesome!!!

Could be a starter, not would be a starter ........ I hope he understands the difference if he comes here.

yeah what about ricky has he fell out of CJL eye or is he just telling him that to get him here......... I would go to the later part CJL has that rep.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't thnk CJL is saying to James "You will start"... probably that "you have a decent chance to start considering we are losing Hall".

lets just hope the kid doesn't see tape on Ricky Ponton

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

yeah what about ricky has he fell out of CJL eye or is he just telling him that to get him here......... I would go to the later part CJL has that rep.

if it wasn't for ricky he would tell the kid he would be the starter not that he has a chance to be the starting RB.