• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scouting FAMU!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Actually, a slump started a year after CJL was fired, 2011, and ended in 2015. Another slump started in 2019 and is on going ...

even slumps have ebbs and flows

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

If BB doesn't throw 3 picks we will destroy FAMU. Hell we would have beat WKU. That's just the way it goes with a Freshman QB , new coach, new OL, new WRs.

Edited by Sk00b
he still has my support
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

4 minutes ago, Bull Nut said:

The only reason I feel it is a factor in his employment is because MK passed up on both Larry Scott and Tom Herman. There are positives to Michael Kelly but,  hiring for the sports that matter isn't one of them, until we're proven wrong. 

I'm assuming it's safe to say we didn't go after Scott because also assuming it's safe to say he would have taken it. I'm not familiar with any rumors, gossip, etc about Herman that were around. Is it just being assumed we didn't go after him at all or hard enough just because we didn't get him?

3 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

even slumps have ebbs and flows

True but I guess we need to define slump in this instance ...... this could get real cerebral.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm assuming it's safe to say we didn't go after Scott because also assuming it's safe to say he would have taken it. I'm not familiar with any rumors, gossip, etc about Herman that were around. Is it just being assumed we didn't go after him at all or hard enough just because we didn't get him?

I would like to think that he would have accepted if we offered him a job. He's making less than a third of what CAG is and I can't imagine FAU is much better of a job. I believe when the idea of hiring Herman was floated here, there were concerns that it would be a repeat of Strong (fell upwards to Texas and then flamed out). I didn't agree with that because he never had a losing season. There were questions about his Florida connections, but looks like FAU didn't care about that.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

They were both available in the coaching pool at the time. Unfortunately, MK doesn't have the time to groom another first time head coach. Again, this is all speculation and assumption, but if we lose to either of those teams I will be heated. 

Edited by Bull Nut

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

And my apologies, I've been referencing Larry Scott when I meant Willie Simmons. 

10 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

I would like to think that he would have accepted if we offered him a job. He's making less than a third of what CAG is and I can't imagine FAU is much better of a job. I believe when the idea of hiring Herman was floated here, there were concerns that it would be a repeat of Strong (fell upwards to Texas and then flamed out). I didn't agree with that because he never had a losing season. There were questions about his Florida connections, but looks like FAU didn't care about that.

On the surface, it would be a no brainer to assume we'd have gone after him ... and a no brainer that if money wasn't a problem, he'd be here. But I've seen enough over the years that there are times when things just don't play out like you'd think they should. Maybe there was something here that didn't set right ..... maybe he was more a south Florida guy than a South Florida guy ..... and maybe we didn't offer him and will rue the day at some point. I don't think, however, our game this year will be some type of a critical measuring stick either way. Although, I'm sure some will be all over it if it doesn't go our way.

3 minutes ago, Bull Nut said:

And my apologies, I've been referencing Larry Scott when I meant Willie Simmons. 

****, my response was to Larry Scott. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  454
  • Days Won:  0

19 minutes ago, Bull Nut said:

They were both available in the coaching pool at the time. Unfortunately, MK doesn't have the time to groom another first time head coach. Again, this is all speculation and assumption, but if we lose to either of those teams I will be heated. 

Not disagree with your main premise but it doesn’t seem that MK has the/any experience to groom a football coach; he’s a bureaucrat. He’s just hiring and hoping he hits the lottery. For some reason though, donors keep cutting checks. 

• Upvote 1