• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Was anyone else disappointed w/football team?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545
  • Days Won:  0

I just think that it is their business what they wear...they have rep USF well on the field and that is what the nation sees anyway...I think we just need to leave the negatives alone and concentrate on the positives that the football team has done this year

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I'm not sure how to enclose quotes there Faza... but this is from Brittany...

"I also bought 12 tix to the bowl game."

I comprehend statements as they are stated... there was no omission to buying 12 tickets for her friends. There was a blanket statement of buying 12 tickets.

Faza... this is from you:

"We've simply contended that it would be preferable that they should look to enhance our university's image with the public by serving as nicely dressed ambassadors of the university."

Amazing statement to say the least... asking for conformity... ambassadors to our university... this is from the same person who's truck stands out like a sore thumb (which I like). Your truck is a pretty loud statement (which I'll admit, I really do like). Well, their clothes are just a small statement about who they are and where they represent... just like your truck represents a microcosism of your livelyhood, and your love for the Bulls.

Another comment from ya...

"But your generalization about "rich little white kids" is just as discriminatory as you would accuse others on this board of being towards those of a lower socioeconomic status."

I expected to see this from someone eventually... it was the carrot I left hanging out there. I'm not Al Sharpton, or the Rev... Jesse Jackson himself. When I see those guys on their pulpit spewing their venom... I get bent out of shape... because I feel like they alienate the races... they make it black vs white. It doesn't need to be that way. But, at the same time, reading these posts... people on here automatically assume the "black players" are football only and lack the education to pursue different avenues... maybe they have big necklaces and baggy jeans. I used to look at this hideous medallion Hugh Smith wore all the time...you wouldn't catch me dead in it... but at the same time, it didn't stop me and him from hitting the local bars to hook up with some ladies.

What is funny about my experiences at USF was the one fraternity I really thought was a good fit for me... a silent majority were the biggest closet racists I had ever encountered. It didn't take long to walk away and say go "Fu%k yourselves" to them. The same guys that congratulated DeAndrew Rubin on what a great game he had would comment on what an uneducated bunch of "can you fill in the blank here" we had on our team... how they were all thugs.

So yeah... seeing this thread personally offends me. I had a buddy who saved my ass in the Navy once... wasn't the smartest guy in the world... but whenever a degrotatory comment was made that crossed lines that I felt would offend him, I would say my peace.

You know what though... we're all guilty of it at one time or another. I was in a bar with Bernard Brown and some other guys back in 2001. Someone got stabbed that night... the same night we were in Ybor. Just recently, on a road trip with DRube and others, I made a comment how I wouldn't goto a certain club because I felt like my car would be on blocks when I got out. I had never seen DeAndrew so livid in my life from that comment. I was being honest... and my honesty crossed the racial barriers we face everyday.

These guys (players) aren't in an interview for their jobs as much as you all might think they are. They are enjoying their time in the sun... because God knows... when they do have to start working, these memories will be all's they have.

Faza... I still like you even if you don't like my responses... Good luck in medical school smart "blue collar" man! Our team could use a good doctor in labor and delivery in the future to keep the pipeline strong.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I'm not sure how to enclose quotes there Faza... but this is from Brittany...

"I also bought 12 tix to the bowl game."

I comprehend statements as they are stated... there was no omission to buying 12 tickets for her friends. There was a blanket statement of buying 12 tickets.

Okay, you got me there. I should have read her actual post before spouting off. I can see where you got that. My apologies. I still don't feel that should qualify her to be profiled so immediately - our very own Student Body Vice President Sameer Ahmed and one of the cabinet members Kyle Myers stood in line to purchase large numbers of tickets in blocks last Monday morning. Yeah, Sameer drives a luxury SUV. But that doesn't mean they weren't buying for an entire organization and just agreed to stand in line - Sameer went to King High School with me, and logic might surmise that copious amounts of parental cash could have prevented that if desired. Both of them could have worked hard in college to have the extra dough to front the money, it's just not fair to judge someone like that so quickly.

Faza... this is from you:

"We've simply contended that it would be preferable that they should look to enhance our university's image with the public by serving as nicely dressed ambassadors of the university."

Amazing statement to say the least... asking for conformity... ambassadors to our university... this is from the same person who's truck stands out like a sore thumb (which I like). Your truck is a pretty loud statement (which I'll admit, I really do like). Well, their clothes are just a small statement about who they are and where they represent... just like your truck represents a microcosism of your livelyhood, and your love for the Bulls.  

Conformity - to a slight degree, but only to nicer standards of dress. I very much appreciate your kind comments about my truck - it was actually meant to stick out because I had it done professionally, and I considered it both spirited and a good representation of the university. Not to judge - but I might not have done it to my vehicle if I had, say, a busted up decades-old Gremlin - I just wouldn't have drawn attention with USF logos to my vehicle unless it was done in a manner that I would want my university represented. I completely agree that the players' clothes represent who they are, and in everyday life every person has the right to wear whatever they feel comfortable wearing. All some folks on here were trying to say is that sometimes, a little professionalism goes a long way. I never bashed the players for their dress, and I don't think Brittany did either; we just offered a bit of constructive criticism for how to improve Athletics' image at USF in a small way.

Another comment from ya...

"But your generalization about "rich little white kids" is just as discriminatory as you would accuse others on this board of being towards those of a lower socioeconomic status."

I expected to see this from someone eventually... it was the carrot I left hanging out there. I'm not Al Sharpton, or the Rev... Jesse Jackson himself. When I see those guys on their pulpit spewing their venom... I get bent out of shape... because I feel like they alienate the races... they make it black vs white. It doesn't need to be that way. But, at the same time, reading these posts... people on here automatically assume the "black players" are football only and lack the education to pursue different avenues...

Okay. I understand that you could feel that some people automatically assume things about football players. I know I certainly don't, and I don't think Brittany has offered indication of such, which is why I so vehemently defended her before. I've been intellectually schooled by people of all races at times. If you think about it, I lost two elections to two people of Indian descent and one of African American descent. Those players wouldn't be in college (and some people DO get held back from sports teams) if they didn't have the brainpower to make the grades in college. I understand how you might sense that some people have that immediate, unfortunate assumption - as long as you know it's not Brittany or I.

maybe they have big necklaces and baggy jeans. I used to look at this hideous medallion Hugh Smith wore all the time...you wouldn't catch me dead in it... but at the same time, it didn't stop me and him from hitting the local bars to hook up with some ladies.

Forgive my ignorance - were you a former USF player?

What is funny about my experiences at USF was the one fraternity I really thought was a good fit for me... a silent majority were the biggest closet racists I had ever encountered. It didn't take long to walk away and say go "Fu%k yourselves" to them. The same guys that congratulated DeAndrew Rubin on what a great game he had would comment on what an uneducated bunch of "can you fill in the blank here" we had on our team... how they were all thugs.

So yeah... seeing this thread personally offends me. I had a buddy who saved my ass in the Navy once... wasn't the smartest guy in the world... but whenever a degrotatory comment was made that crossed lines that I felt would offend him, I would say my peace.

You know what though... we're all guilty of it at one time or another. I was in a bar with Bernard Brown and some other guys back in 2001. Someone got stabbed that night... the same night we were in Ybor. Just recently, on a road trip with DRube and others, I made a comment how I wouldn't goto a certain club because I felt like my car would be on blocks when I got out. I had never seen DeAndrew so livid in my life from that comment. I was being honest... and my honesty crossed the racial barriers we face everyday.

That's some deep down ish right there.... I respect your experience and your wisdom as a result.

Faza... I still like you even if you don't like my responses... Good luck in medical school smart "blue collar" man! Our team could use a good doctor in labor and delivery in the future to keep the pipeline strong.    

I really am sorry if I took it too far earlier. I tried to maintain respectfulness as you have so kindly done in this post - you just gotta understand that I'll be there to defend my girl.

P.S. Ain't nobody in Florida going into OB/GYN right now... malpratice is so high that very few of them comparatively are even insured... I'd love to "keep the pipeline strong" but we're going to have to graduate some lawyers and start some ass kickin' in the FL legislature. I probably would have gone that route if I could have won an election, but I had to change that up after two heartbreakers. Someone will come along and do it.

Faza... I still like you even if you don't like my responses...

Hey I like you too man....  ;D

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Wow!! Seven pages talking about the way our players dressed?  Incredible!!

This surprises you? remember we hand an 11 page post on the color of our logo on the helmet

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This surprises you? remember we hand an 11 page post on the color of our logo on the helmet

Well, that was important!!   ;D

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

more than you know I woukd not sleep for a week not knowing why............. Why Black.............. ::)

bump

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266

why would you consider bumping this thread?? ? ? ? ? ? ?  ? ? ? ? ? ?  ? ? ? ? ? ?

its a TERRIBLE title for what this thread is actually about and the topic is just as worthless