• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WKU Tickets Have Arrived

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,715
  • Days Won:  109

Just now, Cornada said:

Last I heard, one of the store's parking lot was in the dry county while the store was in the wet county.

😄

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Don't worry you can find the holler, mountain, and hills folk that have the good stuff that store doesn't sell. discovery channel lol GIF

Our neighbor did some shining.  My brother and I would try to find his still site.  We got pretty close but abandoned the search after the shotgun blast.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,575
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, Cornada said:

I grew up in Kentucky.  The neighboring county was dry.  There were two liquor stores that kept leap frogging each other, moving closer to the county line.  Last I heard, one of the store's parking lot was in the dry county while the store was in the wet county.

Smart move. I bet the dry count is made they don't get the tax revenue.  The family mountain property in North Georgia is in a dry count for liquor sales, but every neighboring county sells hard liquor. The restaurants just were allowed to sell alcohol in the last ten years and breweries are popping up every where. The counties that sell liquor get a lot a dollars their way from the people that drive there.

1 minute ago, Cornada said:

Our neighbor did some shining.  My brother and I would try to find his still site.  We got pretty close but abandoned the search after the shotgun blast.  

I have a pretty decent collection of good shine from the mountains and some local shine my father in law gets from his farm partners.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

good shine

Isn't that one of those oxymoron things?  Moonshine isn't good. It'll get you drunk.  Of course the only ones I've had were from WV and KY.

Just now, CousinRicky said:

Isn't that one of those oxymoron things?  Moonshine isn't good. It'll get you drunk.  Of course the only ones I've had were from WV and KY.

Well if you ever had good shine made off of  nice  natural spring it is not bad. My grandpa used to make some really good shine in the mountains. He made some really good America scotch to. It was really smooth for how strong it was and then  he would age some with apples and cinnamon for the women and youngins like me at the time.  There are a few untapped barrels from the prohibition era that they still have in the basement in the mountains.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Well if you ever had good shine made off of  nice  natural spring it is not bad. My grandpa used to make some really good shine in the mountains. He made some really good America scotch to. It was really smooth for how strong it was and then  he would age some with apples and cinnamon for the women and youngins like me at the time.  There are a few untapped barrels from the prohibition era that they still have in the basement in the mountains.

That limestone water is what makes KY a great place for making bourbon. 

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

That limestone water is what makes KY a great place for making bourbon. 

Bourbon and shine are two totally different beast. I like a good bourbon and a good shine . I also have some Florida berry shine and Florida lemon shine that I only give to people I don't like.  The lemon moonshine is really good though mixed with lemonade but It is really bad straight.

Edited by Outlaw

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Bourbon and shine are two totally different beast. I like a good bourbon and a good shine . I also have some Florida berry shine and Florida lemon shine that I only give to people I don't like.  The lemon moonshine is really good though mixed with lemonade but It is really bad straight.

I thought the stuff that comes off the still without being cut or filtered is shine. I know bourbon has to be 51% corn and shine can be anything. But corn is/was the most plentiful crop around up there from what I've heard.

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I thought the stuff that comes off the still without being cut or filtered is shine. I know bourbon has to be 51% corn and shine can be anything. But corn is/was the most plentiful crop around up there from what I've heard.

Yes and no. Old school shine was not cut and made from corn, but people now make shine from basically anything that ferments.

Edited by Outlaw