• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can we beat WVU?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

Then maybe we'll see one of those epic Bledsoe vs. Marino air wars that were so fun to watch back in the early 90's!

Record incompletions is more likely.  Our QB's might not be total garbage, but they are NOT marino or bledsoe!!!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48

not when it counts

this game is  not significant for west virginia

You really think so?  I beg to differ.  The game is STILL important.  A loss is not but nobody who competes at this level wants to lose whether, in the grand scheme of things, the game has outside implications or not.  This game does have implications with regard to the perception of the Big East as being BCS-worthy.  If the Big East isn't BCS-worthy then WVU isn't BCS-worthy.  If WVU isn't BCS-worthy, then what team in the BE is?  If anything, I think WVU will play more loose than they would have if the BE title had still been on the line.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

this game is  not significant for west virginia

actually this game does have significant meaning for wvu.   its all about finishing in the top 12 for BCS conference ranking.   wvu is 11th or 12th (cant remember)  at the moment and the win will only help the BE overall.   We still get the previous rankings of louisville last season and miami the year before.  

besides, our team hasnt overlooked anyone this year.  i expect the same vs USF.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48

Two good defenses against two good backs... well, three if you count WVU's QB as well.

Could be a low scoring affair.  I'm not real familiar with WVU's WR corps, but I know that our guys need to hold on to the ball a lot better...

USF has the edge as far as receiver corp.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

i expect a hard fought battle from both teams... there should be no excuses either way.

No one is overlooking anyone at this point.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

You really think so?  I beg to differ.  The game is STILL important.  A loss is not but nobody who competes at this level wants to lose whether, in the grand scheme of things, the game has outside implications or not.  This game does have implications with regard to the perception of the Big East as being BCS-worthy.  If the Big East isn't BCS-worthy then WVU isn't BCS-worthy.  If WVU isn't BCS-worthy, then what team in the BE is?  If anything, I think WVU will play more loose than they would have if the BE title had still been on the line.

The sane Bulls fans here understand the significance of this game for BOTH teams ......

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

USF has the edge as far as receiver corp.

based on what?

neither teams wrs really sticks out.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146

I think our defense has the ability to slow down the WVU offense, but this will require our offense to have some success moving the ball and sustaining some drives.  If our offense can't do this, then even though our defense is good, it quickly will become tired from chasin WVU all over the field with their spread attack.

As far as our offense vs. WVU, it will depend a lot on the play calling and QB play (unfortunately).  WVU will be stacking the box just like UCONN, so we are gonna have to be creative in our play calling and execute our short and mid range passing game to be successful.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

When WVU is on offense:

White and Slaton have exceptional speed to the outside.  Slaton's carries outside the tackles will not get them a whole lot due to our speed.  However, in between the tackles, Slaton and the other WVU back can do some serious damage as we have been giving up yardage in that area.  Also, Pat White seems most dangerous when he drops back to pass and then runs on either a designed draw or when no one is open.  When our D-line and any blitzing linebacker get to far upfield he has a Vick-like ability to exploit those gaps.  Our D will have to play White like the Bucs play Vick, stay in front, don't give him running lanes and make him pass.  If he is succesful running then we will lose as I don't think our offense could keep up.  

When we have the ball, we need to feed Andre Hall on the ground and screens and flare outs (yes I know we don't have a screen in our gameplan), and of course the WRs will have to hold on to the ball and PJ will have to protect the ball.  If the offense does not make turnovers, I think the D can keep it close and give us a chance.  As with Louisville, we will need an A+ effort.