• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF signs Leavitt through 2012

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

It's effective Jan 1st because that's after this football season.

for all they know the season is over this weekend, the first was picked most likely for a convenient round number... BUT it does provide a nice window to work something out with another team under his old contract

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

for all they know the season is over this weekend, the first was picked most likely for a convenient round number... BUT it does provide a nice window to work something out with another team under his old contract

From Greg Auman's blog:

"I thought the same thing, but Doug Woolard told me the contract itself is effective immediately, and only the salary waits to take effect until Jan. 1. If K-State wanted Jim Leavitt, it'd take a half-million to get out of his contract today. "

That answers that question, I guess.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  18

Here's the link to the story that ESPN.com is running, otherwise you can find it under their college football section.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2242536

Finally, to echo Collin and Ratner, the Student Bulls Club (a.k.a. The "BULLIES") is the very organization that every student at USF should belong to.  Since its founding in 2002, the SBC has given so many students opportunities for affordable travel, pre/post game access at several USF sporting events, and making new friends!  On top of that, members receive 3 shirts as part of the $25 donation deal!  There is no doubt that its members are making our student fan-base a force in the Big East and college athletics!

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

From Greg Auman's blog:

"I thought the same thing, but Doug Woolard told me the contract itself is effective immediately, and only the salary waits to take effect until Jan. 1. If K-State wanted Jim Leavitt, it'd take a half-million to get out of his contract today. "

That answers that question, I guess.

that doesn't make much sense, but if Woolard say so... i really need to stop reading these boards while im doing my law school homework, it really screws up your perspective

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

that doesn't make much sense, but if Woolard say so... i really need to stop reading these boards while im doing my law school homework, it really screws up your perspective

It could make a lot of sense. I'm no tax man, but I've always heard that you want to delay  income realization for tax purposes.  That puts the income in another year.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

I think he meant landing a good QB

They landed Denson and Gregory (albeit through transfers) and Hill...  

Sorry Guys I'll never respond to a smazza or cee post ever again.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

Okay, signed the same coach that allowed the team to have what was probably the BIGGEST letdown in the history of the football team less than a week ago, to a multi-year contract extension - and everyone is happy?

Interesting...

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

this from USF this afternoon ...

The base salary plus compensation for radio, television and appearances will average $1 million per year over the length of the contract. The annual salary in 2006 will be $600,000 with an escalation each year thereafter.  

CJL loves this program more than I could have ever imagined.  He still will be earning $500,000 less than he would have earned at K-State, and that's still a lot of money.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

They landed Denson and Gregory (albeit through transfers) and Hill...  

Sorry Guys I'll never respond to a smazza or cee post ever again.

That's a great rule of thumb.    ;)

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

I think this is a good move for USF football. Some may question Leavitt's ability to "win the big one", but really, how many "big ones" has he been involved in?

Let's give Jim a chance to see the program through. Unless a major catastrophe happens, I would go as far to say that he should be given 2 more years before we can truly evaluate the job Leavitt has done. That would give him a chance to coach in some big games, a chance to get some quality "BCS recruits" and depth.  Let's let Leavitt's baby get to college before we fire him.

Did any of that make sense?

Anyway, as I said before, I'm happy with the move.