• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three USF baseball players announce transfer portal status - The Oracle

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, olafberserker said:

I'm just not sure why his seat is any hotter than any other college coach.  New coach, had some success, navigated through some tough times, top notch recruiting class.  Those two weeks are a pretty big deal in the history of usf baseball and usf sports in general really.   This season started off well and then Jasiak went down.  That's a big loss

There are certainly multiple games that could have been won had we had Josiak as our Friday starter past the first few games of the season. But we still need to find ways to win. One pitcher shouldn’t change the entire course of our season. His seat is hotter because he’s had just as much time in a situation that has never once been a rebuild for him other than his own doing.  He’s been so up and down, and if anything he’s trending downward. I’m not saying fire him but he needs to do better. Plain and simple. 

also, ignore the haters saying this is off topic. It’s literally a baseball topic in a baseball thread, and this conversation very much relates to players either on the team or ones who are transferring.  

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

13 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

There are certainly multiple games that could have been won had we had Josiak as our Friday starter past the first few games of the season. But we still need to find ways to win. One pitcher shouldn’t change the entire course of our season. His seat is hotter because he’s had just as much time in a situation that has never once been a rebuild for him other than his own doing.  He’s been so up and down, and if anything he’s trending downward. I’m not saying fire him but he needs to do better. Plain and simple. 

also, ignore the haters saying this is off topic. It’s literally a baseball topic in a baseball thread, and this conversation very much relates to players either on the team or ones who are transferring.  

Losing your Friday night starter when you are a mid-major absolutely makes that much of a difference ... and we're a mid-major.  There were questions about depth in the pitching staff prior to his injury.  If Jasiak adds "a few wins" during conference play we are the 5 seed in the conference tourney.  There were other injuries as well, he was just the biggest and toughest to overcome.   Mohl figured out how to win a conference and regional LAST season.  He figured out how to win 3 of the final 5 conference series (we were swept at ECU and Houston  2 of the  best teams in the conference).   

2 NCAA appearances, a conference title, a regional title .... all in his first 4 years as a head coach anywhere.   So what is better?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

19 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

He’s 8 games over .500 as a head coach, so basically those two weeks last June are the difference between him having a winning or losing record in five years as head coach. He is recruiting well and should have some more time to build something consistent, but he can’t afford too many more seasons like the one that just ended. Injuries happen. Hitting slumps happen. Good teams - and good coaches - find ways to win regardless. And let’s not forget that he took over a program that was winning. His predecessor wasn’t fired, he took a job in one of the nation’s premier baseball conferences. Mohl didn’t walk into a rebuild like Scott or Gregory.

Kingston has struggled at that program and somehow keeps holding on as well.  Kingston didn't have a major rebuild here either and Mohl was a part of that process.   There were several players that did need to be replaced after his first year so there is that.  He's a young head coach and I am sure figuring out how to make that transition.   I pointed out in my other response that we won 3 of the last 5 conference series only be swept by arguable the two best teams in the conference.  Obviously if we finish last and miss the NCAA's year in and year out we have to move on, but that isn't where we are right now and I think it is unrealistic to be discussing firing the guy right now.

Edited by olafberserker