• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

27,204 . . . . Good Job USF Marketing **nm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  0

All I can say is that if we win this weekend, there better be a big Marketing push for the WVU game...UConn first...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

Not Bengals sucks....Daniels sucks, one of the guys on their team.  One of their RB I believe... ;D

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509

Tampa is a town of transplants, bandwagon fans, and walk ups.  Our teams haven't been around long enough (except for the bucs) for the Tampa Bay population to grow an alligence.  Fans will come out for the big games, if the media hypes it enough, and will come out when the team consistenly wins year after year (and beats their old team consistently).  Look at the Lightning, they couldn't even sell out their opening playoff round games.

It's as simple as that.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

As far as the crowd, what's up with the chant of "bengals suck"?  It sounded like they were chanting that in the 4th quarter.  If so, why?  

Guess you own them an apology  8)

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Being in Orlando, we understand how that is, mulheap.  It's not trash talk, but merely a fact.  Neither school is old enough nor have they made enough splash on the national scene(1 season doesn't cut it) to create enough of a consistant fan base.

UCF has a very loyal fan base of about 17-20k that are there consistantly year in and year out.  It's only now, that the team has become a winning team, that the fans are showing up more.

Part of the problem being BCS is that you're expected to perform at BCS level and fan turnout is one of those things.  20k won't do and USF needs to very quickly fix that.  While there are bowl contracts, bowls might be tempted to pick another team in the conference instead due to low fan turnout at home.  Low home turnout can lead to low road turnout and not enough money coming in for the bowl.

• Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Maybe not age, but demographics are important.

USF's immediate target audience is Hillsborough County, not St. Pete.

When 90% of the people in Hillsborough County that get newspaper delivery get only the Tampa Tribune...then you are missing out on your target audience.

That's what I was referring to...and the fact that Hillsborough has more "families" per capita then say St. Pete...and a higher concentration of USF Alumni....then that's the area you target.

Anyway...when this decision was made a while ago, some others mentioned that USF got some funds upfront but it might cost them in the long run in less tix sales.

KL

Actually, the St. Pete Times has as much circulation in Hillsborough County (including USF's campus) as the Trib, if not more.

In fact, among most circles, the Times is known as a much better paper. The Trib is good for its graphical layout and pretty pictures, not nearly so much for the quality of its articles. I'm unaware of any statistic where 90% of deliveries in Hillsborough County are the Trib, and I would disagree, because the majority of white collar workers (particularly downtown) will tell you they prefer the Times over the Trib any day. Political science professors will also tell you the Times is one of the best newspapers in the state, if not the best.

Besides, Athletics has its reasons for going with the Times. It probably has to do with how much the Times was willing to support the Bulls compared with the Trib.

Frankly, I think the Times has done a good job as a sponsor. The Trib is only catching on to us now that we have a winning team in a BCS conference, which is just as bandwagon as the rest of Tampa.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Actually, the St. Pete Times has as much circulation in Hillsborough County (including USF's campus) as the Trib, if not more.

In fact, among most circles, the Times is known as a much better paper. The Trib is good for its graphical layout and pretty pictures, not nearly so much for the quality of its articles. I'm unaware of any statistic where 90% of deliveries in Hillsborough County are the Trib, and I would disagree, because the majority of white collar workers (particularly downtown) will tell you they prefer the Times over the Trib any day. Political science professors will also tell you the Times is one of the best newspapers in the state, if not the best.

Besides, Athletics has its reasons for going with the Times. It probably has to do with how much the Times was willing to support the Bulls compared with the Trib.

Frankly, I think the Times has done a good job as a sponsor. The Trib is only catching on to us now that we have a winning team in a BCS conference, which is just as bandwagon as the rest of Tampa.

USF won't get any extra help/pub/promotion other then news from the Tampa Tribune because they signed an exclusive promotion deal with St. Pete Times.

Now...if you knew anything about tha Tampa Bay Market (comments proved you didn't), St Pete Times only has 6% of their daily circulation in Hillsborough County (only 7% on Sunday). (Source: St. Pete Times 14 page Recruitment Ad slick.)

St Pete Times (even if they put their names on buildings in Tampa) only can penetrate the Coast.

Now..is it shocking at a Univ Poly Sci Prof likes the Times? No...of course not....Times gets much of their support from Leftist in the Academia field (nothing wrong with that).

So...the next time when you THINK the Times has market penetration in Hillsborough...why not find out facts first....and keep you mouth shut and be thought a fool...rather then post and remove all doubt?

KL

PS. What other info would you like tomorrow? Seriously, I'll be glad to help.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

USF won't get any extra help/pub/promotion other then news from the Tampa Tribune because they signed an exclusive promotion deal with St. Pete Times.

Now...if you knew anything about tha Tampa Bay Market (comments proved you didn't), St Pete Times only has 6% of their daily circulation in Hillsborough County (only 7% on Sunday). (Source: St. Pete Times 14 page Recruitment Ad slick.)

St Pete Times (even if they put their names on buildings in Tampa) only can penetrate the Coast.

Now..is it shocking at a Univ Poly Sci Prof likes the Times? No...of course not....Times gets much of their support from Leftist in the Academia field (nothing wrong with that).

So...the next time when you THINK the Times has market penetration in Hillsborough...why not find out facts first....and keep you mouth shut and be thought a fool...rather then post and remove all doubt?

KL

Here's some info I'd like. Just what does all this matter to YOU?? Why do you care about how USF is or isn't marketed?? Jeebus, KL, your team is on a great roll. You'd figure your little insecurities would have gone away but I guess the USF envy is still front and center.

Why do you insist on coming over here and showing your ass like this?

• Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Not that I mind, we seem to be making news just fine on our own, thank you.

That's 6% of a daily circulation that reaches over 1 million people, as you'll read on the SP Times' website, making it the largest newspaper in our market. That 6% circulation, you'll notice, is 6% out of 100% that encompasses 5 counties (Citrus, Hernando, Pasco, Hillsborough, Pinellas).  Those 5 counties are part of the Tampa Bay media market, which consists of people we want to reach; not just Hillsborough County. USF is located IN Hillsborough County, which means other means of marketing such as billboards, road signage, area business support, etc., not to mention the publicity attained by virtue of proximity, will all contribute to more than enough marketing. Therefore, it is MORE important that marketing the university reaches counties more distal to the university, i.e. the ones that the Times reach.

Next time you choose to pick a fight, make sure you put some intelligent comments in to back up your position, not blind statistical citation. And make sure you choose someone who can't respond with more intelligent analysis, that way you don't look owned.

Actually, the professor to whom I refer is Dr. Susan MacManus, by far the most respected political science professor in the state, and a national figure in the past several presidential elections. There's a reason Ch. 8 WFLA receives so many national awards for their political coverage; they've got her working for them. She is anything but leftist. As a matter of fact, I saw a peice done about how good she is at staying very neutral, and she has for YEARS. Close friends say they think she leans to the right, but only speculation can be offered.

Therefore, again, you have been shown to the door. Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.

KL

Do I need to respond? Your puerile attempts at overcoming an insurmountable obstacle have been systematically disbanded.

Of course, nothing more can be expected of a lowly UCF fan.

Go back to Orlando and be happy that your team beats up on pathetic 1-8 Rice University to call themselves champions.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4

Not Bengals sucks....Daniels sucks, one of the guys on their team.  One of their RB I believe... ;D

Daniels was their cocky a** kick returner for Cincy.  He was actually trying to get the crowd pumped up against him.  He seemed to enjoy the negativity from the student section.  We did see a lot of him with all the scoring we did throughout the game.