• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, BullShirt said:

But if  all the big attendance games (ND, UF, FSU, Miami, etc.) are at Ray Jay doesn't that defeat the purpose of an OCS?  At a cost of $300 Million how do you put enough butts in the seats at an OCS with games against FAU, Charlotte, UNT, etc.?

49 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I hear what you are saying there but I am deferring to USF on the risk analysis on the financing.  That's out of my ballpark.  I think donations will increase once you give someone an emotional connection and reason to get back on campus regularly.  

Personally, I wouldn't mind using a neutral site for massive games (rare) and being on campus for 90% of our normal games.  Then promise the P5 conferences we will expand later if and when the TV money flows in and bigger opponents are forced to play us.

Seems like an obvious play to me, but I'll defer the financing to the USF leadership.  I am just a customer / alum saying what I would like.

100% agree ↑

8 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

"It certainly MIGHT"?  "Let's wait and see what happens over the coming years"?  That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.  But I get it.  It's not your $300 Million or your debt service so let's go ahead and build it and let someone else worry about paying the bills.

I don't intend this to be "mean" towards you John.  I certainly get it.  You work for USF Athletics and would naturally be biased towards using Other People's Money to build a nice new OCS.  But at the end of the day I just don't see "it certainly might" and "see what happens" as convincing arguments when all USF has to offer up is games against schools like FAU, Charlotte & UNT.  As I posted elsewhere in this thread I firmly believe that if USF wins, puts fans in the stands and gets eyeballs on TV (TAD) the OCS is secondary.

Go reread your last 3 or 4 posts. They are ALL based on "Might." 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

You may be misjudging John.  That was a little tough to read, actually.  Other than that, I agree with a lot of your post.

I presume you are referring to my reply to John.  As I stated, my intent was not to be "mean" to John but as an employee of USF (athletics no less) he knows on which side his bread is buttered so I think that influences his opinions on things.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

4 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

"It certainly MIGHT"?  "Let's wait and see what happens over the coming years"?  That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.  But I get it.  It's not your $300 Million or your debt service so let's go ahead and build it and let someone else worry about paying the bills.

I don't intend this to be "mean" towards you John.  I certainly get it.  You work for USF Athletics and would naturally be biased towards using Other People's Money to build a nice new OCS.  But at the end of the day I just don't see "it certainly might" and "see what happens" as convincing arguments when all USF has to offer up is games against schools like FAU, Charlotte & UNT.  As I posted elsewhere in this thread I firmly believe that if USF wins, puts fans in the stands and gets eyeballs on TV (TAD) the OCS is secondary.

Seeing as to how our OOC schedules are booked for about the next decade I'm not sure how else I could have answered. If we keep every OOC game that's currently on our schedule, then I could easily see us being a different/better conference before we start adding OOC games to future schedules.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BullShirt said:

I presume you are referring to my reply to John.  As I stated, my intent was not to be "mean" to John but as an employee of USF (athletics no less) he knows on which side his bread is buttered so I think that influences his opinions on things.

I'm also a donor and that influences my opinion on things much more than my job does.

I believe that is the case for many who post on here as well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

100% agree ↑

Go reread your last 3 or 4 posts. They are ALL based on "Might." 

True and I admit that.  Anything that presumes future events is based on "might". 

The difference is I'm not advocating spending $300 million of Other People's Money on an OCS that apparently won't be good enough / big enough to attract big time opponents on the off chance that it "Might" change in the future.  The only thing that would make that change is if USF starts winning and winning BIG.  If / when that starts happening the big time programs will sit up and take notice and want to take their shot at USF.  And if / when that happens what comes next?  A bigger program takes a run at hiring Goach away from USF because the school spent all their money on an OCS and doesn't have the $$$ to keep him.

And yes, that's based on a MIGHT too but it's a very positive might and doesn't require USF to back itself into a $300 Million corner financially.

6 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

I'm also a donor and that influences my opinion on things much more than my job does.

I believe that is the case for many who post on here as well.

Good for you (and I mean that sincerely).  It's a very rare person that is influenced more by their donations than by their job.  The fear of losing one's job has influenced many a person to say and/or do things that they otherwise would never have done.

1 minute ago, BullShirt said:

Good for you (and I mean that sincerely).  It's a very rare person that is influenced more by their donations than by their job.  The fear of losing one's job has influenced many a person to say and/or do things that they otherwise would never have done.

My posting here mainly if from me being a donor, season ticket member, alumnus, etc.

I don't believe I have outright posted something here saying that everyone needs to step up their giving. If someone requires my assistance on a work related topic I will respond in kind and if there is someone who wants to discuss giving I message them in private.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

True and I admit that.  Anything that presumes future events is based on "might". 

The difference is I'm not advocating spending $300 million of Other People's Money on an OCS that apparently won't be good enough / big enough to attract big time opponents on the off chance that it "Might" change in the future.  The only thing that would make that change is if USF starts winning and winning BIG.  If / when that starts happening the big time programs will sit up and take notice and want to take their shot at USF.  And if / when that happens what comes next?  A bigger program takes a run at hiring Goach away from USF because the school spent all their money on an OCS and doesn't have the $$$ to keep him.

And yes, that's based on a MIGHT too but it's a very positive might and doesn't require USF to back itself into a $300 Million corner financially.

Which is exactly why we're having this discussion. being #2 in the Nation didn't get it done. Going 11-2 didn't get it done. It's like newly weds and babies, you figure it out, you nurture it, and you give it all you've got to succeed. There are exactly no guarantees that the kid will be successful, but that doesn't stop you from trying.

I'm guessing Other People don't mind spending their Money on it. I'm also guessing that they have a vision for the future and are not sitting on their collective butts and doing nothing is not it.

Just now, John Lewis said:

My posting here mainly if from me being a donor, season ticket member, alumnus, etc.

I don't believe I have outright posted something here saying that everyone needs to step up their giving. If someone requires my assistance on a work related topic I will respond in kind and if there is someone who wants to discuss giving I message them in private.

I never ventured anywhere near the subject of giving or stepping up giving so I'm not sure where that's coming from.   You brought up your donations in a reply to one of my previous posts so I replied back what I thought you would take (and was intended as) a compliment.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

33 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

I've forever been in the "we don't need an ocs to get us where we want to be" camp and still am. However, college football is meant to be played on campus with all that goes with that. I think everything is finally in place in regards to BOT, administration, Athletics and the fans to get it done ........

If USF is okay with the price and the debt service, it is THEIR decision and I will let THEM worry about paying the bills, doing what I can along the way to help contribute.