• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time for students and fans to put up or shut up

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

well...yes, you are right for most of the students.

but the problem is, the jobs that employe students do it with the ideals of the students wanting time off at the most ideal times.

when i first moved to tampa as a junior back in 02 i took a job that required me to miss 4 football games.  but now i am a graduate still with the same company making closer to

\.....sorry, re-read the post and id rather not disclouse that info/,

all while only being a 24 year old.  so i cant speak from the perspective of a waiter or bartender.

either way....a commuter school can NOT expect a good crowd on an earlier saturday game.

face to music. USF is A commuter school

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess i am taken offense because i have NEVER sat at home while a USF game at Ray Jay was going on...since ive lived in tampa...

however, i have to work this saturday.  i will be at the West Virgina game on dec 3rd and like i said before, ill be at the bowl game as long as its not Christmas Eve or Christmas Day

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I think that it is a given that those who must work, attenda wedding, attend a funeral, have surgery, or are in labor are not the ones that USFFan is challenging to put up or shut up....

But those who do not fit within one of the above categories better have your ass in a seat at RJS!!!!

yea i agree but i guess this is my way of being upset that i CAN NOT be there for this game against Cincy...

ask Brad aka Bulliver my dedication to this cause.  How many people were in the chat room today?  why was that?  yes, you guys have seen a student donate to this site.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Switching schedules to get to a game can be done, I did it in both undergrad and grad.  It is just a matter of forcing the situation with the boss.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

The Football Fans of the Tampa area also need to step it up along with Alum ... too many alums have enemy colors on ... with uf and f$u losing, radio stations need to be called if you can, if not - EMAIL !!!

Go BULLS !!!

Gotta agree with most of the people on this thread.  Most of the time someone can just work around it and switch a shift or schedule...I've done it since I started attending as a frosh back in 02.

This game saturday will be a HUGE game!  We need people to pack Ray Jay!

Rezz, sorry you can't be there saturday. I'm sure you'd be there if you could.

~Margaret

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

ok....i am gonna respond because i was a student this time last year...

YES...we are a commuter school, love it or hate it.

85% of our students are paying for rent.  and when you are a student your only option is to get a job that makes you HAVE to work weekends.

its very easy for alumni to call out the students.

it is still USF, most of the STUDENTS are working to eat....

just like you but with weekDAY obligations,.

Rezz, trust me, I'm not singling you out.  I also understand that there are things that will keep some students from attending.  

That said, we have >40,000 students at USF.  Do you seriously believe that 34,000 of them are going to be working on Saturday morning?  And even if they did, that's 6,000 students who have no reason NOT to be in that stadium.  

According to the 1996 Alumni Association Directory, USF had >80,000 alumni living in Florida.  In the intervening 9 years, that number has to have grown to over 100,000, and I'm being pretty conservative there.  Assuming half of them are otherwise occupied, that also leaves >50,000 alumni who should be ashamed of themselves if they're not at this game.  

With all of that said, I also think that USF's athletic department needs to go all out to ensure a gigantic crowd for the bowl representatives who will be there.  Open up the upper deck for free.  Then if there are unused seats in the lower level, those folks will fill them.  Host a gigantic pep rally on Friday night in the old mall space.  I don't care how it gets done, but that stadium needs to be packed on Saturday.  

USFFan

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Max

My nephew is graduating from HS this year and he has been one of the section leaders in his High school band. Ive taken him up to USF for many games and he told me that he has seen a great improvement in the band this year.He is applying to USF and plans to be in the band.

Go Bulls!!!!

yea, i just wish this game was not at noon.  and when someone mentioned its just a matter of focing the issue with the boss, cant do that.  i 'forced' the issue to get Dec 3rd off because i have a feeling that is going to be another early kickoff.  i had to make a choice, i hope i made the right one.

hopefully the students do come out and support.  we all know that the students have done an EXCELLENT job this year.  the only problem is, some of those students go to the games as a good excuse to tailgate and drink, at noon kickoff the beer might not taste as good to them or they are recovering from the friday night parties