• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My Breakdown of Bowl chances

Guest bullshiznitz2

Va Tech might be an at large to one of the BCS games.  The SEC teams seemed destined to beat each other up over the next few weeks (Aub v Bama, Bama v LSU, UGA v Aub & SEC Title game), so I would think it would be hard for another SEC team to slip in. I would think the at-larges would be ND (if they win out and they should) and then a battle between a 1 loss Va Tech team and a 2 loss Ohio State team.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oregon is a top 10 team and already lost to USC, probably won't lose the rest of the year.  Still, VT should be ranked ahead of them and so should Ohio State... so I think you are right about the battle for the last BCS slot.

Thus it is possible that the Gator Bowl could be the #4 ACC team... Georgia Tech? Clemson? Boston College?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think it will be hard for VT to get in the BCS at this point, unless Miami loses again they will not be in the ACC Champ game nor would they be in a BCS bowl (too many other good teams for one spot; ND has the other at Large) The other at large will probably go to Ohio State of they win out.

The way it works is not the loser of the ACC Title game to Gator Bowl, rather the GB gets second pick of ACC after the BCS. I will guarentee they would not take FSU, especially if fans just lost there a few weeks earlier.

IF Miami wins out:

Miami - BCS

VT - Gator

FSU - Peach

I feel if we don't go to a BCS bowl, we'll be in Charlotte. The Gator Bowl would probably take Louisville over us for attendance purposes...I cannot see us drawing 20-30k to Jax for a Bowl game, maybe 10k at best...Remember 6-7k have been students this year, who get free tix, bowl tix cost 40-50 bucks a piece....

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

vaTech is #6 in the new BCS (baffling in and of itself) so they will be in a BCS bowl as an at large if they win out

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Obviously, I'll take whatever bowl we can get, but I'd prefer to play a team we can be competitive against on the field.  V-Tech would kill us...

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

I'll be at the Sugar, Gator, or Car Care Bowl.  Any others, I'm not sure.

To be part of that history?  I'd go to Tehran to see us play in a bowl game...

USFFan

You must mean 20-30K VaTech fans.  We barely get that many for a home game.  I would say at most 5K, but I would be one of them.

I hope like hell we'd bring more than 5K to our first ever bowl game (remembering ~50K for our first ever game).  It would send a message to bowls that we would travel well.

In fact, I would say that we had better bring >10K to any game we play in if we want to be playing in big bowl games in the future...

USFFan

I do not see how we get the Gator Bowl,   If they have to choose between Us and Lville we will not get picked...

You can bank on USF not going to the Gator Bowl this year.  If we don't win the Big East, we're 7-4 and unranked.  Meanwhile, Louisville is 9-2 and probably in the top 20.  No way in hell USF gets picked over them.  

USFFan

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

Obviously, I'll take whatever bowl we can get, but I'd prefer to play a team we can be competitive against on the field.  V-Tech would kill us...

That's pretty much my line of thinking. I'd hate to go to a bowl game and add fuel to the anti-NBE flames.

As for traveling to the first bowl game. North Carolina, Georgia or Florida are doable. I don't really think we'd haul over 5K to a bowl game, regardless.  

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

You can bank on USF not going to the Gator Bowl this year.  If we don't win the Big East, we're 7-4 and unranked.  Meanwhile, Louisville is 9-2 and probably in the top 20.  No way in hell USF gets picked over them.  

USFFan

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Gator Bowl gets the Big East #2 team, not a pick of their choice.  If that is correct, it could be us even with one more loss.