• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoffman Signs With Boston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  95
  • Days Won:  0

Well, this year's draft was only 4 rounds instead of what 40.  There will be plenty of non drafted signings this year.  Sox might see something in him then or he came cheap.  Bad organization for developing l pitchers though.  

That chowder best not be a tomato base.  And don't forget a nice roast beef sammich that's not from Arby.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Actually 5 rounds/160 picks.   Nondrafted signees are maxed out at a $20K signing bonus so yeah he is relatively cheap and they can develop him so it's a win/win.  He's also 21 and a half so the clock is ticking on that arm so it makes since for him to get paid to pitch rather than spend another year in college

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

30 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

They only had 5 rounds of a draft this year down from 40 to save $$$$$$.   

But even if that is the case, he at least has a shot and gets paid something in the process

Ahh...I stand corrected then. I had no idea they dropped to 5 rounds. Well, based on his play he could have been a high rounder. Hopefully he takes advantage. No USF player has ever made it on the Red Sox would love for him to be the first. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  95
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ahh...I stand corrected then. I had no idea they dropped to 5 rounds. Well, based on his play he could have been a high rounder. Hopefully he takes advantage. No USF player has ever made it on the Red Sox would love for him to be the first. 

Agree. And a pitcher to boot.  Always need good pitching.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

congrats!!!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

He must have been desperate to get out of school.  Taking $20K max when you have only pitched 20 innings in three years of collage seems a little odd to me.  If he came back and had a really good year next year he could easily make WAY more than $20K.  If Ragsdale can get picked in the 4th round only pitching 50 innings than what would he have to lose pitching his junior year.  There is no minor league season this year either.  Just weird.  He will be getting paid $400 dollars a week next season up from $290, so that's something.

Edited by jg233

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

14 hours ago, jg233 said:

He must have been desperate to get out of school.  Taking $20K max when you have only pitched 20 innings in three years of collage seems a little odd to me.  If he came back and had a really good year next year he could easily make WAY more than $20K.  If Ragsdale can get picked in the 4th round only pitching 50 innings than what would he have to lose pitching his junior year.  There is no minor league season this year either.  Just weird.  He will be getting paid $400 dollars a week next season up from $290, so that's something.

He could also be injured and his career over all together.  He isn't young, I think he would be 22 to start next year and if his goal is to play pro ball then he is probably better off getting paid to develop with a major league organization than to develop for free at USF.