• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The passing offense isn't 'anemic' and I will not 'get it straight'.  The passing offense is inconsistent (anemic is too harsh since some big plays have resulted from our passing offense), but it's equal parts receiver, and PJ.  No one can put it solely on PJ's shoulders.  Had the receivers caught the ball against PSU we would have won, and PJ lauded a hero.

I agree about Dawsey, and the receivers.  I once played receiver, I coached it once and I am sorry if the ball hits one's hands then the QB is off the hook!  I've seen to many easy passes look bad, PJ's thrown some good stuff that have been dropped outright.

HOWEVER, with that being said, the passing offense doesn't need to be "Petrino'd" to be effective.  We've got an excellent running attack, and we use our QB effectively running.  The key is to use the passing game properly, and make consistent plays passing when the time arises.  

That's been my point all along, collectively the players involved in the passing game are not getting it done consistently.  Sometimes it's PJ, sometimes it's the WR's or even blockers, but the passing game needs consistency.  Basically if we can complete 4-5 more passes a game for another 50-75 yards then we can win most of our ball games.  Give me a 10-17 for 180 yards passing from PJ, and with our running attack I'll show you that we'll will most of our remaining games.   We don't need gaudy we just need manageable.

i wasn't referring to you, you tool. you don't even realize when someone is trying to agree with you, julmiste is not the problem, everyone knows he will never be mistaken for an accurate qb with touch, his best assets are his athleticism and speed. my point is the receivers need to do a better job of helping julmiste by making the tough catches and being able to catch balls that hit them in the hands, and not whine about how hard they're thrown, after all farve's wrs have no problems catching his passes, i'm sure they have a jugs machine, you'd think they'd use it. my criticism is with our receiver's coach, but i'm willing to see if they can turn things around but as of now the dropped passes have been our achilles heel and you're lying to yourself if you're completely happy with what you've seen from the passing game.

the reason for concern on this board is we will not win the big east with our current passing offense, every team we face is going to stack the box if we can't pass than we can't win.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

hey! sbien's back! now if only we can get howie back ... i think he sees me inching closer to his post total and will be back soon to get back up to a more comfortable lead.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

our offense is weak

we can't throw the ball

calling our offense anemic is being kind

"miami is miami"

it is more like "pj is pj"

did you see how bad pj misfired in psu and miami games?

we did sowell against louisville because pj didn't have to throw

i am always amazed at how little the so called experts know about the game of football

Guest S.  Bien

i wasn't referring to you, you tool. you don't even realize when someone is trying to agree with you, julmiste is not the problem, everyone knows he will never be mistaken for an accurate qb with touch, his best assets are his athleticism and speed. my point is the receivers need to do a better job of helping julmiste by making the tough catches and being able to catch balls that hit them in the hands, and not whine about how hard they're thrown, after all farve's wrs have no problems catching his passes, i'm sure they have a jugs machine, you'd think they'd use it. my criticism is with our receiver's coach, but i'm willing to see if they can turn things around but as of now the dropped passes have been our achilles heel and you're lying to yourself if you're completely happy with what you've seen from the passing game.

the reason for concern on this board is we will not win the big east with our current passing offense, every team we face is going to stack the box if we can't pass than we can't win.

Thanks for the 'tool' call, but I wouldn't call our passing game anemic.  Duke's, and Vandy's passing game is anemic ours is just inconsistent.  In one game PJ throws a beautiful skinny post to Amarri Jackson for 65 yards, and the next Amarri drops the same pass that was in the bread basket.  

Our pass offense can be good but they need to collectively make a few more plays.  Right now the only receiver consistently making plays is Peyton, and for some strange reason the staff refuses to start him over Jackson who continues to drop things.  Like we've seen before with PJ, and Banks, catching stuff in practice is one thing, making plays in games is another.  These receivers need to go out and make plays.  I completely agree with you, there are at least a few passes each game where PJ throws a nice ball and someone drops it or doesn't make a play on the ball.

I'll give you the FAMU game, PJ throws a nice jump ball in the end zone to Green.  SJ's got the DB by about 4 inches, and a better vert, SJ goes up but doesn't make the play.  That was a concentration play, he needed to watch that ball into his hands. Instead missed and we settled.  

If the receivers make a few more plays then PJ's confidence will grow.  He doesn't have to throw 30 passes a game for us to be good, just 15-20 to keep the defense honest and exploit the defense.  Open up running lanes and the play action.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Someone please post the other qb stats vs PSU & UM.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Miami

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

FSU

Drew Weatherford 7/24 67 2.8 0 1

Xavier Lee 1/2 7 3.5 0 0

Clemson

Charlie Whitehurst 31/55 288 5.2 2 1

Colorado

Joel Klatt 25/42 228 5.4 0 2

USF

Pat Julmiste 8/25 47 1.9 1 3

Courtney Denson 3/6 22 3.7 0 1

Duke

Zack Asack 4/15 8 0.5 0 0

Marcus Jones 0/2 0 0.0 0 0

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

PSU

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

USF

Pat Julmiste 21/35 200 5.7 2 1

Courtney Denson 0/3 0 0.0 0 0

Cincy

Dustin Grutza 27/47 286 6.1 1 2

Nick Davila 2/2 43 21.5 1 0

Central Mich.

Kent Smith 23/36 143 4.0 0 0

Brian Brunner 2/2 15 7.5 0 0

Northwestern

Brett Basanez 20/38 229 6.0 0 1

Minnesota

Bryan Cupito 16/28 174 6.2 1 1

OSU

Troy Smith 13/25 139 5.6 0 1

Thanks for the 'tool' call, but I wouldn't call our passing game anemic.  Duke's, and Vandy's passing game is anemic ours is just inconsistent.  In one game PJ throws a beautiful skinny post to Amarri Jackson for 65 yards, and the next Amarri drops the same pass that was in the bread basket.  

Our pass offense can be good but they need to collectively make a few more plays.  Right now the only receiver consistently making plays is Peyton, and for some strange reason the staff refuses to start him over Jackson who continues to drop things.  Like we've seen before with PJ, and Banks, catching stuff in practice is one thing, making plays in games is another.  These receivers need to go out and make plays.  I completely agree with you, there are at least a few passes each game where PJ throws a nice ball and someone drops it or doesn't make a play on the ball.

I'll give you the FAMU game, PJ throws a nice jump ball in the end zone to Green.  SJ's got the DB by about 4 inches, and a better vert, SJ goes up but doesn't make the play.  That was a concentration play, he needed to watch that ball into his hands. Instead missed and we settled.  

If the receivers make a few more plays then PJ's confidence will grow.  He doesn't have to throw 30 passes a game for us to be good, just 15-20 to keep the defense honest and exploit the defense.  Open up running lanes and the play action.

i agree we just need the passing offense to make a few plays to keep the def honest, so that we can run andre, play action, etc. a good example is the penn st. game julmiste's first interception was a bit behind the receiver and may have been overthrown but a decent receiver makes that catch. during the l-ville game the receivers were constantly adjusting and making the tough catches, we need to see that here. we already have the defense, o-line, and running game our team can be extremely good if our receivers stepped it up.

i'm also baffled by peyton's benching. i'm hoping the staff shake things up before pitt, green may be a leader but he hasn't shown much this season, it might be time to give someone like peyton, hill, or johnson a chance, it can't get much worse. peyton and jackson need to be on the field together, i'm not a big fan of smith rotating out our two best playmaking receivers.

Guest S.  Bien
i agree we just need the passing offense to make a few plays to keep the def honest, so that we can run andre, play action, etc. a good example is the penn st. game julmiste's first interception was a bit behind the receiver and may have been overthrown but a decent receiver makes that catch. during the l-ville game the receivers were constantly adjusting and making the tough catches, we need to see that here. we already have the defense, o-line, and running game our team can be extremely good if our receivers stepped it up.

i'm also baffled by peyton's benching. i'm hoping the staff shake things up before pitt, green may be a leader but he hasn't shown much this season, it might be time to give someone like peyton, hill, or johnson a chance, it can't get much worse. peyton and jackson need to be on the field together, i'm not a big fan of smith rotating out our two best playmaking receivers.

I agree, again having coached and played WR there isn't many excuses you can give a coach on the sidelines why you dropped a ball when you had both hands on it.  Remember the QB's always right in the coaches eyes, so as a receiver, if you want respect, you catch what's thrown to you.  Good receivers adjust when the ball's in the air, they time their jumps, they use their hands not bodies to make catches.  PJ's not going to be a precision guy, we all know that, but he can deliver a catchable ball to receivers.  Sometimes it might come from an odd angle but if these receivers want to play in the NFL they need to make those catches.

Right now, based on performance I'd say the starting receivers should be Peyton, Chambers, Cedric Hill (who's really overcome his drops in the PSU game), Taurus Johnson....then rotate in SJ Green, and Amarri Jackson.  Sorry but Green and Jackson have not stepped up in the clutch this year.  Jackson get's somewhat of a pass because of his game against UL, but green looks like he's trying to hard, like he knows hte guys behind him are more talented and he can hear the footsteps.  If that's the case then put the younger guys in, you'll either get better play or force Green to step up his.

If the receivers hold onto a few more balls this offense is suddenly deadly, and then we're averaging 160-180 yards in the air, and 225 on the ground.  That's what I am looking for a nice balance like that, but it's not the few bad passes that pJ throws that cause us problems it's the receivers not catching those good balls thrown to them.  They catch the few other good ones and this offense is nearly unstoppable.  Then you can start adding more razzle, dazzle gimmick stuff back into the gameplan.