• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Holtz vs Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

Skip Holtz: 3 seasons, 16-21, defeated Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame, went 4-16 in his final 20 games

Charlie Strong, 3 seasons, 21-16, 10 win season that ended ranked #21, 4-14 in his final 18 games (assuming loss next week, and assuming he's gone after)

Both came here having won conference championships, welcomed with lavish pressers, touted as the coach who would bring us a championship of our own. Both had a great first season, followed by similar downward trajectories, quite possibly at the worst possible moments (height of conference realignment, and vanishing behind Mickey Mouse college).

Which was more enjoyable/disappointing/sickening to you?

Edited by OnTheBus
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I was super excited when we hired Skip Holtz. I was indifferent about Charlie Strong...then the presser gave me an uneasy feeling when he basically said we would not be competing against the “Big 3” for recruits. The San Jose St. game in 2017 started and I immediately felt we made a mistake after seeing the offense. 

I had happy thoughts that maybe he would do here what he did in Louisville but then realized he didn’t have Clint Hurtt. 

I guess I was more disappointed with Holtz because his success brought him here. He was on the rise and failed. Strong was sub .500 at Texas and we brought him and most of that sub .500 staff here....never felt good About it

Edited by BiggTipp

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/24/2019 at 2:26 AM, BiggTipp said:

I guess I was more disappointed with Holtz because his success brought him here. He was on the rise and failed. Strong was sub .500 at Texas and we brought him and most of that sub .500 staff here....never felt good About it

I think I’m also more disappointed with Holtz than Charlie. The only thing Skip has over Charlie is victories over big name programs. Especially that Notre Game victory, as fluky as that was.

Skip sunk us at the worst moment for realignment.

That said, Charlie stings more given he followed up arguably our finest season as a program and dismantled everything.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

For me, I would have to say the Strong era was more disappointing. 

At least Holtz won some "bigger" games for us. 

Strong inherited a more exciting, accomplished team and,  because of his own personal philosophy dismantled it on purpose. That started during his press conference and carried on throughout his tenure. 

Because our offense was so high powered under Taggart everyone kept waiting for the offense to kick it into gear at San Jose State. It never really got in gear. I vividly recall the announcers saying we looked out of sorts. That ended up being a consistent theme in almost every game for the last 3 years whether we won or lost.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Why is this thread even necessary?  They're both gone.  They both did poorly here.

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

15 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Why is this thread even necessary?  They're both gone.  They both did poorly here.

To be fair, it was created before Strong was fired...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 minutes ago, ForestBull said:

To be fair, it was created before Strong was fired...

I see that now.  My bad.

• Upvote 1