• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF - ucf Annual Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

UCF has two chances to make this an annual game.  Lets see if they can do it by beating us.

Knights don't need to win to keep this rivalry.  The Big Time Boosters at USF havta want it & have a great attendance.  That's all.  It prolly would benefit UCF to lose narrowly twice so the USF boosters can enjoy watching the Knights stew/squirm after the game.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

All that would do is bring USF down and UCF up.

Uh, USF IS down, dabull.  Can it be anymore clear?  If you look at the current rankings you guys aren't but maybe 15 to 20 spots ahead of us.

Delusional with a capital DUH!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

Just from the comments on this thread that it's pretty close to even amongst USF fans, or it appears that way.

UCF on the other hand has everything to gain from this, and of course their fans seem to be 100% for the rivalry.

Good game to play every now and then?  Yes.

Rivalry?  NO!  Bad move.

Sorry, but you are WRONG!

If we beat a lowly USF team, big deal.  Lets look at some POTENTIAL reality if you will.

IF USF loses tomorrow night, they could very easily start the season 1-6.  Now, how in ANY way can you say winning against you guys "gained" us anything?  It would not.  It would be better for us to try to schedule Ole Miss, Baylor, Wake, Duke, or any other school that gets a ton more respect than you guys.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  69

UCFers want so desperately to be us (USFers).  I didn't realize they were so jealous of us until this week.  They hate us because they want to be us.  My advice to them would be just be themselves, work hard, do the right thing and good things will happen for them.  And stop hating us because were so **** good! ;)  Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  184

I said nothing about UCF winning the game (mostly because I don't think you will).  I said, that you have something to gain from a rivalry with a Big East team that has grown faster than your lowly 0-16 team.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

First, I don't believe an annual game between UCF and USF does not imply any kind of equality between the two schools.  For reference I give you: Colorado-Colorado State;

Moreover, whether we like it or not, USF has more in common with UCF than we do with USC -- and we're not talking just one letter here.  To be sure, the Big East does send its champion to the BCS; assuming the Big East can meet the criteria that will be set forth the next few years.  It is entirely possible that the Big East 'could' lose the BCS tie-in.  At which point, there isn't much difference between the Big East and C-USA.

Except that most people across the country feel just the opposite about the Big East: that we are not part of the upper echelon of college football.  That the Big East is really no better than the other mid-majors.

I am a vocal proponent of the rivalry... but I don't really obsess about it. (This is a message board, right?)...

My problem is with those who want to deny any chance for it to develop by only playing two games and moving on.  How do we know that this series won't be more important than our annual matchup with Rutgers?

All else being equal, yes it is.  Remember, we don't exactly have the budget of Michigan or Texas.  Every penny we save in payouts helps the program.

-- Athletic Director Dave Hart when asked why Florida State refuses to play USF.

Look, the effect of an annual game against UCF would be the exact opposite.  This game has the ability to draw in the casual fan much more so than our game against North Carolina will.

Besides, why can we do both?  Why can't USF play UCF every year and still play games against quality programs??

Five OOC games are hard to schedule.

This game has no bearing on recruits EXCEPT that we can increase our exposure in Central Florida. No recruit goes to any school because of the results of games.

Except that my point about scheduling would also apply.  We can't seem to even schedule crap teams, let alone quality programs.

All I ask is that ADDW and CJL sign an extension of this contract through 2010 ... that will give us a true understanding of whether or not this has any potential.  We can still play 3 MAJOR programs and 1 I-AA program every year -- which means everyone is happy.

I suppose it all boils down to this....I agree with most of your assessment of the current situation and perception of our teams. Your right, we are two similar programs, close together in geography. We got a bit lucky and landed in a bcs conference that has lost some respect in the eyes of the world. And I agree that this game has the potential to become a rivalry. However, I disagree 100% that it would be beneficial to us in the long run strength of our program for the reasons I mentioned.

If we win I'll just feel more relief then elated...I mean c'mon their an 0-16 team, what accomplishment will a win be? It certainly won't garner any respect or any added interest to the casual fan. No it will just let us hardcore fans breathe a bit easier while being able to say I told you we were better.

Of course if we lose then it's like losing to army, we will have to endure the complete disgrace of losing to a team that has slid so far that they haven't won a game in nearly 2 years....while playing in the MAC against teams like buffalo and kent state. If that happens just watch, the questions will come...do they deserve the bcs, does the be with teams like usf deserve to keep bcs etc etc etc.... also be prepared to see interest in casual fans fade more then usual and the students start dropping like flies as they did after army last year. No, I'm sorry but this game has so much more downside risk then any possible benefits it may give. I'm just crossing my fingers that we win and don't have to endure the possible fallout a loss can bring.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

IF USF loses tomorrow night, they could very easily start the season 1-6.  Now, how in ANY way can you say winning against you guys "gained" us anything?  It would not.  It would be better for us to try to schedule Ole Miss, Baylor, Wake, Duke, or any other school that gets a ton more respect than you guys.

If there's nothing to gain by playing and winning then what's the point of playing?

Welcome to OUR world ....

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

You will no doubt have a rivalry with a conference member.  That will be the biggest rival you have.  Not us.  And you wont be ours either.  I would say right now our biggest rival remains Marshall and that will only get stronger.

How can the score against your "biggest rival" go:

L 7-27

L 3-20

L 21-26

Last time I checked you had to win some to be considered someone's rival.