• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

O'Leary on USF and Big East...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

UCF confident skid will end this week vs. USF

By wire services

Published September 15, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Central Florida comes to face USF at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, hoping to avoid its 17th loss in a row, but that's not to say the Knights aren't confident this week.

"I'm going to go ahead and say it, this week is the week," defensive end Chris Welsh told Florida Today . "I feel pretty confident in our team, our coaches, and we're all working hard. Those guys better watch out, because we're coming full steam."

USF coach Jim Leavitt said Monday that he'd only met UCF coach George O'Leary once, when Leavitt was a Kansas State assistant coach driving through Atlanta and stopped briefly in Georgia Tech's football office after O'Leary helped the team win a share of the national championship in 1990.

"George probably doesn't remember," Leavitt said. "I probably spent five minutes with him, that was all."

O'Leary said he didn't remember the encounter.

"I don't remember, but we had a bunch of kids, a bunch of coaches come by that year," the 59-year-old O'Leary said of his 48-year-old counterpart.

O'Leary complimented Leavitt and his program, but said he doesn't think much more of the Big East that USF now calls home than he does his team's new league, Conference USA.

"There's not much difference between the two," O'Leary said. "They can say they're in the BCS, but I don't know how long it'll stay a BCS conference. I think the whole geography is going to change."

UCF sold out its initial allotment of 3,400 tickets for Saturday's game, and O'Leary has high expectations for the crowd in Tampa.

"If it's not in the (50,000s), I'd be surprised," he said. "I think we can bring at least 20,000 of our fans. It's like a home game. I'd think our fans will drive over."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

HE WOULD TRADE IN A HEART BEAT...... TELL THAT FAT OLD BASTARD TO GO EAT A DOUGHNUT

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, the landscape is changing, and if UCF doesn't win a game soon they'll be demoted to the Southland conference.

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Of course he is going to say that.  Come on, coach speak at it's finest.  83 is right, he would change in a minute.

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Student section needs to bring as many box tops of Krispy Kremes to the game  ;D

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Is this considered smack talk from O'Leary?

It's called sour grapes.

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Is this considered smack ... from O'Leary?

The "Smack" you hear are his lips after eating a dozen  ;D