• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two examples of the Oracle's "brilliance&quot

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

What are you upset that the Oracle would not publish your fanboi letters on how much you love X, Y, or Z?

No wonder the previous Oracle editors took a pot shot at some of the people on this message board.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Florida A&M University announced last Tuesday at an afternoon press conference that it was terminating the contract of William "Billy" Joe, the winningest active coach in NCAA Div. I-AA and amongst black college coaches, due to violations of NCAA rules within his football program.

http://www.onnidan.com/bcsp/1145/stry11451.htm

I'm guessing that the Oracle may have accidently left out the qualifying caveat of active I-AA.  I think Eddie Robinson of Grambling is the all time IAA winner.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8

Why do you guys all seem to hate the Oracle so much, anyway? If you can't stand it so much, then don't read it. All you're doing is making noise because you talk about how much you hate it, yet you still read it.

I don't understand you all.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

me thinks ambellina is a writer for the oracle...hmmm... ::)

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Ambellina,

The Oracle is supposed to represent the USF community as an official news source.  All too often, the writers are excessively incorrect with reported "facts".  That serves to make USF look bad to all who read it.  Reality is that our opponents read the online version to see what is in it about out athletics.  When the paper is blatantly wrong, it makes all of USF look bad.  Finally, the writers often do very derogatory opinion pieces about anything USF, athletics, academics, administration, etc.

When I first started at USF, I volunteered to be a writer.  When I sat down with an editor, he tried to take my story and give it a negative slant, including twisting quotes from administrators.  When I objected, I was told that I didn't have enough experience to realize that the story was supposed to be negative, or nobody would read it.

The Oracle is nothing more than an expression of the opinions of the editors that work there, and a poor one at that.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Ambellina,

The Oracle is supposed to represent the USF community as an official news source.  All too often, the writers are excessively incorrect with reported "facts".  That serves to make USF look bad to all who read it.  Reality is that our opponents read the online version to see what is in it about out athletics.  When the paper is blatantly wrong, it makes all of USF look bad.  Finally, the writers often do very derogatory opinion pieces about anything USF, athletics, academics, administration, etc.

When I first started at USF, I volunteered to be a writer.  When I sat down with an editor, he tried to take my story and give it a negative slant, including twisting quotes from administrators.  When I objected, I was told that I didn't have enough experience to realize that the story was supposed to be negative, or nobody would read it.

The Oracle is nothing more than an expression of the opinions of the editors that work there, and a poor one at that.

Thats quite sad. I dont get that train of thought. Students want to feel good about the school they are going to and have pride in the fact that they are there. Why would they want to read a bunch of made up trash about their admistration/sports/etc...   I guess when I was there I never really paid much attention to the articles, the only thing I found the Oracle good for was doing the crossword puzzle during some of my classes.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8

me thinks ambellina is a writer for the oracle...hmmm... ::)

well, you thinks wrong.

if I was a writer for them, I'd just tell you all to shut up. and I'd use my name so you knew who I was and what I wrote, and I wouldn't be scared of your opinions to not say who I was, because really, you're just a message board of a small amount of people in the whole USF community. you guys don't seem to like the Oracle because they don't hands-down support USF athletics or other USF things. that's not their job. their job is to be unbiased, which means don't flat out support your team -- you can't be a fan if you're a sports reporter, because reporting is supposed to be unbiased.

don't you people know anything? I don't even have anything to do with newspapers or journalism, and even I know that.

at least MikeB gave me a reason. you didn't. so thanks, MikeB, for at least telling me why you don't like it and answering my question.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

their job is to be unbiased, which means don't flat out support your team -- you can't be a fan if you're a sports reporter, because reporting is supposed to be unbiased.

Tell that to the guy who wrote that he's "stuck here" at USF while at the same time speaking in glowing terms about some other school and how much great tradition they have. That sounds pretty biased to me...and not towards USF either.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

if you look in past posts, you'd seem numerous reason from me and others on here about why we don't like the oracle.  as a school newspaper its job is to support the school sports team, maybe one or two articles talking about lack of attendance, or something like that, or if something major happened to atheltics that is major and has a negative effect on the school, i'm not saying be positive one hundred percent, because i know you can't be biased when being a sports reporter, but the fact that you work at a university newspaper, at least don't print articles where a reporter writes "why don't you transfer if your team is Penn State?  I can't leave because i'm stuck here"  that is something that recently upset me and numerous other people on this board.  oh and calling the handful of fans who do attend mens basketball games huligans and nothing more than thugs, isn't right, at least we are out there supporting our team