• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Corridor Cup??

Guest S.  Bien

Here we go again.  

Why some of you USF guys can't admit it, I will never know.  You need a rival so bad, you are making Louisville one, when they could care less about USF.  Yes Bien, driving distance is a reason to be a rival. Can you tell me a rival outside of ND, that does not have distance between schools as a factor?  Hell, all one has to do is look at USF's game this weekend to realize how bad they need a rival.  FAMU is about to shatter your attendance recored, in doing so, USF fans will most likely be out numbered, at home.  Outside of UCF and FAMU, USF will be lucky to have more than 3,000 fans from any school in the big east travel to USF.

ARK v. Texas

Neb. v. OK

Minnesota v. Wis.

Miami v. FSU

Kansas v. Missouri

Air Force v. Army

Air Force v. Navy

Army v. Navy

USC v. ND

Syracuse v. WVU

UF v. UT

Texas v. OK

Hmmmm, it seems I've named a number of interstate rivalries, and oddly the comon denominator is conference affiliation, generally speaking of course.  

UL and WVU are expecting between 3k and 5k to travel.  But who's counting, and their press release is coming after UCF's about their rumored ticket alotment sell out.

Like I said, I would love to be rivals with UCF the moment they sign a contract like Marshall signed with WVU.  Or we can wait until TTech signs a 1 and 1 with SMU or Rice.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

How about the "I-4 Bobs Barricades" Trophy.

Just kidding. This should be a two year series only. Playing them only helps them. I see no way that it helps a BCS school.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Although the name "Corridor Cup" is hokey and completely lacking in meaningful symbolism (how you tie in high-tech with college football is beyond most fans, imo), it will add a little bit to the interest leading up to the game. Which is a good thing! Any game involving USF that attracts some pre-game interest can't be a bad thing, right?

To me, the UCF game ranks ahead of FAMU, Cincinnati, UConn and possibly Rutgers. Clearly UCF isn't going to generate as much interest as a game with the "big 3" in Florida but it could turn into something bigger a few years down the road if fan interest takes hold.

Unless we get an annual series with the likes of Miami, UF or FSU I don't see a problem with playing UCF if the fan interest is there.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I think we should play UCF every year.  Natural rivals are the ones that are close by.  Even if we're not in the same conference now, it shouldn't matter.  UF and FSU have played since the late 50s and they don't share conference affiliation.  Believe me, UF didn't want FSU as an opponent in the early days, but look at that rivalry now.  The sooner we start it with UCF, the better it will be in the future.  

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Bullheaded may be right that there's nothing on the line against UCF -- at least nothing that's not also on the line with Penn State, Miami, or Florida A&M.  It's also the same thing that's on the line for the Florida-Florida State game.  OOC games don't have anything on the line except the win-loss record and a team's place in the polls.

Moreover, what's on the line against Louisville? Syracuse? A Conference win or loss?  I would say that the only time that matters is for the championship ... otherwise any win carries virtually equal weight.  A team that goes 7-5 (2-5) and 7-5 (5-2) probably goes to the same bowl game -- other than the conference championship, the conference record is meaningless.

So I will ask you, what "more" is on the line with any of our games this year that is not on the line with UCF?

Penn State was just a game we wanted to win for obvious reasons, was there any talk about rivalries with them?

FAMU....yawn, looking foreward to first home game, I can't even imagine talk about rivalry here.

Miami, well obviously this would be a hoped for rivalry at some point in time as that would only happen if we truly become the powerhouse that they are, ditto for either FSU or UF.

Louisville, Syracuse (or any conference mate)....What does it matter what the games mean or don't mean this year? Rivalries are built over time and these are conference foes and unless we end up like temple and never have a chance to contend then something should be on the line for us (and them) over the years. You aren't really suggesting that as conference mates the games would have no meaning are you?

Now UCF (or famu/fiu/fau or any non "big 3" florida teams) I can't think of a single thing whatsoever that is attractive in creating a rivalry here. Who cares if they are close by, I mean what would the satisfaction be? We either become dominant year after year so it means nothing or we end up on par or worse then them in which case we would have failed to reach our goals.

However, I can say this... if we don't have a true rivalry with UCF, we won't have one with anyone.

Then to heck with a rivalry, it's not that important. I'd much rather be a Big East title contender and one day have national champions hopes then dwell in mediocraty by having the UCF game be the biggest game all year  ::)

Why some of you USF guys can't admit it, I will never know.  You need a rival so bad, you are making Louisville one, when they could care less about USF.

Well, the only way a rivalry would happen with Louisville would be by us MAKING them care...ie...beating them and dashing some BE title hopes. Again, ditto for any conference mate. That would be a rivalry with meaning!

Looking foreward to a meaningless game against a crappy team for the sole reason that they are close...well that means nada and since UCF aint going nowhere that would only happen if we go nowhere so you can imagine how much I hope for that rivalry.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I hope CJL is able to sign this rivalry for years and years in the future.  It makes the most sense for both teams... since it's the easiest road game for local fans to attend for each team.

Go Bulls!! Bring Home the Cup!!

That's probably the reason why CJL won't agree to it!

Hopefully the School AD and President will have a say so finally in regard to some Football matters.

KL

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

How about the "I-4 Bobs Barricades" Trophy.

That was my suggestion 2-3 years ago!! (Even though I left out "Bob"...but hey, maybe they could be an annual sponsor of the game too?)

KL

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

Geez, Mav, he didn't say he wasn't "even slightly interested". He said he wasn't hyped up and was looking more forward to the UL game. You'll find that this is probably pretty common from this end.

Well, it certainly seemed he didn't care at all.

I am aware that this game is not THAT important to BOTH schools.  Conference games are the most important but this one should have everyone at least INTERESTED, huh?

Maybe he is but it sure didn't seem like it.

I think the problem some of you may have is in realizing the fact you are BCS in name only!  And I have mentioned many times that I wish UCF was.  That is not me trash talking, that is REALITY.

In five years that may change.  Fact of the matter is you have FAR LESS tradition (winning or otherwise) than MANY non-BCS teams.  Whenever Bien puts that stuff out it makes me laugh ot loud (or LOL!).  I can't imagine anyone from USF telling UCF that they want a 2 for 1 because they are BCS and keeping a straight face.  It is ludicrous.

As far as the rivalry game is concerned, all I can say is you need to have one.  STK is right in the sense that you do not have a normal draw every year on your schedule.  Not now anyways.  Again, after 5 years some of this will change.  Until then you can demand no more than the Duke's and the Baylor's of the world.

I know you guys don't like it but it is the reality of the situation.

Then to heck with a rivalry, it's not that important. I'd much rather be a Big East title contender and one day have national champions hopes then dwell in mediocraty by having the UCF game be the biggest game all year  ::)

That is unbelieveable.  ::)