• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU/UCF Med. School?

Guest FIU Panther Fan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

FIU is quietly tucked away in Miami, but it's really a quietly kept secret that people are slowly becoming aware of. The law school speaks for itself, and the MBA program is second behind UF's in some rankings. Then again, the State of Florida seems to be behind the curve in having world class business schools...private or not...but if the economy in Florida is going to change into something like Califorinia we need a couple business schools in Florida to step up and start producing the talent needed to run tomorow's businesses. FIU could be one of those schools....actually it's anybody ballgame if they just made the proper commitment and investment.

at the moment, the law school at FIU is a joke and has it's work cut out for it to become anything... so be careful throwing that in there.

Stetson has a well respected MBA program and UM's is no slouch....  USF's and UCF's are a joke which does not make any sense at all sense they are in such major cities

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i undersstand  the usf business school has weeded out some weak professors and is trying to upgrade

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

at the moment, the law school at FIU is a joke and has it's work cut out for it to become anything... so be careful throwing that in there.

Stetson has a well respected MBA program and UM's is no slouch....  USF's and UCF's are a joke which does not make any sense at all sense they are in such major cities

I would put Rollins College's Crummer School of Business MBA Program over ALL of them in a heart beat.

But yes, compared to many older schools "up north", our programs overall (they are improving though) are weak.

KL

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I would put Rollins College's Crummer School of Business MBA Program over ALL of them in a heart beat.

But yes, compared to many older schools "up north", our programs overall (they are improving though) are weak.

KL

]

Rollins is better than Warrington ?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

]

Rollins is better than Warrington ?

I said "I would" put Crummer over Warrington.

Crummer is usually 3rd in the State behind Warrington  and even Miami in GMT's and other ratings...but Rollins have more Corp support/local tie-ins then UF does in G'ville (i.e. they use more outside/real life companies for experience...those resources are somewhat limited at UF).

Crummer has better student "perks" (well they should...right at $50,000 plus with Miami as most-expensive in the state).

Also, compared to the rest of the College/University, Crummer School is VERY important to the overall school of Rollins, especially since its small and very specific.

Warrington (never ranked in the Top 30 in the Nation) gets swallowed up by other top priorities and stronger grad programs and schools at UF.

From Business contacts in my personal life...those that graduated from Crummer have been more successful (especially  entrepreneur wise) compared to those that have graduated from Warrington.

Again...that's just my personal experience...(both of which are good "regional" schools for FLA.)

KL

Guest FIU Panther Fan

Two op. ed. pieces from South  & Central Florida

THE MIAMI HERALD

A boost for Florida's health and economy

OUR OPINION: APPROVE FIU'S BID FOR A NEW STATE MEDICAL SCHOOL

Florida needs to prepare for a looming doctor shortage by creating another medical school, and it should do so at Florida International University. An FIU medical school would produce doctors more likely to stay in Florida, practice in underserved communities and be sensitized to our ethnically diverse population. The financial costs would be minimized for taxpayers because FIU does not plan to build a new teaching hospital. The new school, moreover, stands to bring high-end jobs and increased research funding to South Florida, the state's biggest economic engine.

A strong case

In short, a state medical school at FIU would be an economic and healthcare boon to Florida. It would also help the entire region by attracting both healthcare providers and students from throughout Latin America. We urge the Florida Board of Governors of Higher Education, which must approve the endeavor, to reach the same conclusion on Thursday when FIU presents its strong case for a new four-year medical program.

Florida's growing and aging population drive increasing demand for doctors. The state needs 2,500 new doctors a year to meet that demand, but Florida schools -- private and public -- produce only 500 a year. At present, more than 80 percent of our doctors come from elsewhere. Projections now suggest a national shortage of some 85,000 doctors by 2020.

The University of Central Florida and Florida Atlantic University also are competing for state approval and funds for a medical school. FIU, however, is best positioned to deliver what Florida needs for modest start-up costs.

For starters, FIU would draw from a large pool of minority candidates. It plans to train med students in local hospitals, clinics and doctors' offices, which would strengthen their roots and familiarize them with the healthcare peculiarities of this area. With low state-tuition costs, graduates would carry much lower debt, and thus be more likely to work in public health and underserved minority communities and to stay in South Florida. Today, relatively few local physicians trained here.

Economic impact

FIU has funding sources for the $64 million needed for facilities; included is a $10 million donation that promises to generate $30 million in matching funds. FIU would also save money by partnering with four local hospitals to provide training and residencies. Thus, FIU wouldn't need to build a new teaching hospital.

The $35 million, two-year, start-up investment that the state would have to cover will pay off handsomely once the school is up and running. FIU President Mitch Maidique notes that tax revenue generated by the institution alone would pay off state operating funding. Research grants and an overall economic impact of $1 billion are the bonuses.

ORLANDO SENTINEL

EDITORIAL

An obvious need

Our position: It's Jeb Bush's turn to show leadership on getting new med schools.

October 31, 2005

As this community continues to show amazingly unified support for a desperately needed medical school at the University of Central Florida, the attention has naturally turned to the politics of pushing the proposal through the state Board of Governors.

The board charged with overseeing the state university system was scheduled to decide the issue Nov. 17 after hearing proposals from UCF and Florida International University, which also wants to establish a medical school at its Miami campus. Now three board members have asked to delay that decision because they need more time to research whether the state can sustain two new medical schools.

Obviously, it would be better for UCF and FIU if board members voted to approve the medical schools Nov. 17 -- particularly since no one disputes that Florida is facing a severe shortage of doctors. But it is reasonable that board members get an opportunity to have the issue vetted to their satisfaction. Forcing a vote prematurely could do far more harm than good.

In the meantime, Gov. Jeb Bush can step up and show leadership on this issue by embracing the proposals and defuse any parochial politics that might kill these worthy projects.

The presentations of UCF President John Hitt and FIU president Modesto A. Maidique at the meeting can do nothing but help convince board members of the need for two medical schools. Florida's aging population, coupled with its population growth, will create a need for 4,000 doctors if these new schools are not approved.

Facts, of course, often don't matter in politics. Fortunately, the ugly politics one might expect in a process like this have been avoided -- at least so far.

As demonstrated last week by $7 million in donations to UCF's effort, the community is united behind building a medical school at a site in Lake Nona. The university now has $22.5 million raised, which will be matched with state dollars. There is no backbiting or fighting between city and county officials or between competing developers. Central Florida is united.

Secondly, Mr. Hitt and Mr. Maidique admirably are working together, avoiding a divisive Central Florida vs. South Florida battle.

Now they must convince the four state-sponsored med schools that all this is in their best interest. Adding to the medical schools' numbers -- particularly in two politically important regions -- would only increase the influence of all medical schools.

The best way to accomplish all this is to receive a clear commitment of support from Mr. Bush and assurances from him and lawmakers in Central and South Florida that they'll seek new money for these schools rather than take from existing programs.

That would leave the Board of Governors politically free to reach the only logical conclusion: Florida needs two new medical schools

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

The first article was much more subjective than the second.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

You have to realize there is reputation and reality.  Rollins is a solid choice - but was more popular before for their programs like an executive MBA and an "early start" MBA or something like that where you can go straight from undergrad.  Now everyone has adapted and I think you can go right from undergrad to your MBA at every school in Florida except Florida.

Stetson - I'm not buying it for MBA or really anything.  While they might over some higher quality connections due to the small size, going to a school like UCF or USF offers you a TON more connections - some of which will be very very good.  Plus, the internship situation is that much better in a city like Orlando or Tampa than they are in DeLand.  I would imagine a Stetson student would need to drive an hour to Orlando or Daytona to work at any respectable firm...where as the Big 4 and many other firms all have a presence in Otown and/or Tampa.

Stetson has a good law school and music school.  I don't buy paying all that money to go to a music school though.  In music, you either teach or you peform.  Teaching isn't going to pay you more because you got your degree at Stetson.  High school band directors make what they make - and it's not much.  Performing...on the other hand...is up to how good you perform and usually a result of your direct contact with your instructors.  If UCF happens to land an amazing professor of trumpet , or USF has a great percussionist - high schoolers do find out about this and they end up going there.  

UCF gets world class drummers, I never knew why since we only have a department, then I realized the guy who teaches it has his name on drum sticks all over the world.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

You have to realize there is reputation and reality.  Rollins is a solid choice - but was more popular before for their programs like an executive MBA and an "early start" MBA or something like that where you can go straight from undergrad.  Now everyone has adapted and I think you can go right from undergrad to your MBA at every school in Florida except Florida.

Stetson - I'm not buying it for MBA or really anything.  While they might over some higher quality connections due to the small size, going to a school like UCF or USF offers you a TON more connections - some of which will be very very good.  Plus, the internship situation is that much better in a city like Orlando or Tampa than they are in DeLand.  I would imagine a Stetson student would need to drive an hour to Orlando or Daytona to work at any respectable firm...where as the Big 4 and many other firms all have a presence in Otown and/or Tampa.

Stetson has a good law school and music school.  I don't buy paying all that money to go to a music school though.  In music, you either teach or you peform.  Teaching isn't going to pay you more because you got your degree at Stetson.  High school band directors make what they make - and it's not much.  Performing...on the other hand...is up to how good you perform and usually a result of your direct contact with your instructors.  If UCF happens to land an amazing professor of trumpet , or USF has a great percussionist - high schoolers do find out about this and they end up going there.  

UCF gets world class drummers, I never knew why since we only have a department, then I realized the guy who teaches it has his name on drum sticks all over the world.

Stetson MBA carries more prestige than a USF/UCF degree...hands down.  Stetson has a campus in celebration too

Stetson Law school is only good if you plan on working in the central florida area, otherwise it is a tremendous waste of money.  even in central florida, stetson is only the second best school for job placement.  UF law grads will get jobs over Stetson law grads more times than not

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

When you say Stetson is the 2nd best school for placement...they have less students than my High School did...so if they are using percentages...I'm sure they are up there.

Stetson MBA...this is what I mean by reputation vs. reality.  Is the UCF grad in Orlando going to hire a Stetson grad over a UCF grad who has been interning with the firm for 2 years?  That might only apply in Orlando, but many of my friends have interned at Earnst and Young or even over in Tampa at Price Waterhouse or Raymond James and been able to move elsewhere in the country in that firm if they wanted to.  

Plus - despite the tuition they pay over in Deland, UCF is working with a much better economy of scale.  The number of clubs and organizations available are abound and by joining something like an accounting society or a business fraternity, your "academic world" just became as small and strong as the networking at a private school.  

The exact same thing goes for USF and FSU.