• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU/UCF Med. School?

Guest FIU Panther Fan

Guest FIU Panther Fan

Article on the search for a medical school for both universities.  The med school would make FIU one of the few public university in Florida with a med school, law school, and architecture school, I think only UF and FSU have all 3.  I hope both schools get their wish as I think they would provide a needed service in their communities.

P.S. FIU gave Kansas State a pretty good scare.  28-21 after 3 Q's and the game ended 35 - 21.  GO PANTHERS.    

Med school race pits UCF vs. FIU

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2005/09/05/story5.html?page=2

ORLANDO -- Come Nov. 17, the University of Central Florida in Orlando and Florida International University in Miami-Dade County will try to make their case before the state Board of Governors that there's a need for two more medical schools in Florida.

After all, officials with both universities say, there's a statewide shortage of doctors, while at the same time Florida's population is growing -- and aging.

"Unless Florida adds a new medical school -- perhaps two -- the state will still fall dangerously short of meeting the health care needs of its residents," according to a 2005 report by the UCF Medical School Task Force.

But if the board opts for just one new medical school, expect a flurry of proverbial fists to fly as the two schools compete to come out on top.

And some local observers believe whichever school has the most money banked for the proposed projects by November could win the honor by financial default -- something that could put UCF at a disadvantage.

That's because FIU already has $15 million in donations and pledges in hand to fund its second medical school building, while UCF currently has $10 million, just enough for its first building.

UCF hopes to raise another $20 million before Nov. 17, says Terry Hickey, UCF provost.

"We want to show the Board of Governors that we have the commitments to fund the second building," he says. "We are concerned that if we ask for a lot of capital, it would cast our proposal in a shadow. Raising this money is a very important -- if not crucial -- part of our application."

The need for more Florida medical schools is clear, say UCF and FIU officials. Indeed, the nation needs to open at least two new medical schools a year to keep up with the demand for doctors, says the International Health Economics Association.

However, some critics, including members of the Board of Governors who are charged with overseeing the state's 11 public universities, have said that the answer to a physician shortage isn't more medical schools, which are costly to build and operate. Instead, they say, it might be less expensive to expand the state's existing medical schools and increase the number of residency slots.

But a study commissioned by UCF shows that doing so actually would only offset the doctor shortage by 14 percent.

Meanwhile, creating two new medical schools would be a long-term investment in Florida's health that eventually will have a big payoff, says Tom Breslin, vice provost for academic affairs at FIU.

"We are very stingy when it comes to providing access to medical school education," he says. "But when you have too few doctors, health care costs go up accordingly."

Meanwhile, former U.S. Rep. Bill McCollum, who is on the Board of Governors, favors the creation of both proposed medical schools.

"It's likely both will prevail ultimately," he says.

Still, others think there is a possibility that the Board of Governors may decide that there is a need -- but that there's only enough state funding for just one new medical school.

"We feel that we both will have a strong case," says Breslin. "We believe there is a need for more than one, and we wish UCF well."

But if push comes to shove, both Breslin and Dr. Carlos Martini, who is heading up FIU's push for a medical school, feel FIU should prevail. "With 62 percent of South Florida's population medically underserved, that would be more compelling," says Breslin.

McCollum, in the meantime, says it's really not the Board of Governors' job to worry about the funding for the two medical schools.

Finding the resources, he says, is the Legislature's duty. "Our responsibility is to say what we need," says McCollum. "Otherwise Florida will suffer immeasurably. I think getting enough doctors to serve our population fits way ahead on the priority sheet."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709
  • Days Won:  0

FIU Panthers Fan,

UCF has ZERO chance to get this school.  And they don't need it.  They are only in it to get all the money.  They are greedy!

Thanks,

Cyberbull

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

FIU Panthers Fan,

UCF has ZERO chance to get this school.  And they don't need it.  They are only in it to get all the money.  They are greedy!

Thanks,

Cyberbull

The article just further supports what I have been saying since day one.

1. The state is only going to likely fund ONE more medical school after FAU.

2. FAU, incidently got it's medical school just as I had predicted.

3. I also posted links a few months ago showing that FIU was farther along in it's plan to get a medical school. UCF was too busy trying to get it's stadium pushed through the system.

4. There is nothhing really new, studies commisioned by UCF and FIU support a medical school for each school, whereas unbiased studies support the suggestion that two more medical schools will not fix the alleged "health care crisis in Florida."

BTW, for the record I am not against  UCF getting a medical school. Instead, UCF's entire reason for getting a medical school is to create more big dollar research opportunities for itself. Once again there is nothing wrong with trying to improve their research standing, however if that is the case at least be honest about it and don't mislead the public about why UCF wants a medical school.  

If UCF was going to pay for it's own medical school then I wouldn't care, but since they are going to use tax dollars to perpetuate the myth of a health care system in crisis, they need to be held accountable and make sure that our tax dollars are being used wisely.

Why?

Because the monies that would be spent on funding an unecessary medical school could be better spent on our woefully supported SUS. It could be use to further enhance the state's existing centers of excellence.

Guest S.  Bien

I got to admit Cyber's points were the ones he made a long time ago.

If those schools indeed want a medical school to help off-set a perceived shortage in doctors then I am all for it so long as our state has the budget to sufficiently support all three.

Right now USF's relations with Moffett are at an all-time high, and with three major medical facilities on campus I see great things coming for our medical school.   It's amazing how far Moffett has come in such a short period of time.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

The article just further supports what I have been saying since day one.

1. The state is only going to likely fund ONE more medical school after FAU.

Correct, as MANY have stated before.  And that one will be at UCF.

2. FAU, incidently got it's medical school just as I had predicted.

And?

3. I also posted links a few months ago showing that FIU was farther along in it's plan to get a medical school. UCF was too busy trying to get it's stadium pushed through the system.

Farther along AT THAT POINT IN TIME!  The end date has not arrived yet and UCF is closing fast.  Nice try.

4. There is nothhing really new, studies commisioned by UCF and FIU support a medical school for each school, whereas unbiased studies support the suggestion that two more medical schools will not fix the alleged "health care crisis in Florida."

But a study commissioned by UCF shows that doing so actually would only offset the doctor shortage by 14 percent.

Meanwhile, creating two new medical schools would be a long-term investment in Florida's health that eventually will have a big payoff, says Tom Breslin, vice provost for academic affairs at FIU.

"We are very stingy when it comes to providing access to medical school education," he says. "But when you have too few doctors, health care costs go up accordingly."

BTW, for the record I am not against  UCF getting a medical school. Instead, UCF's entire reason for getting a medical school is to create more big dollar research opportunities for itself. Once again there is nothing wrong with trying to improve their research standing, however if that is the case at least be honest about it and don't mislead the public about why UCF wants a medical school.  

Which would more than likely put pressure on USF research dollars.  Yes, I realize the schools will be doing different research but some companies spend a ton of money on research in different areas.  Allocation of funds may change.

So, you being a homer has plenty to do with your opinion on this matter.

If UCF was going to pay for it's own medical school then I wouldn't care, but since they are going to use tax dollars to perpetuate the myth of a health care system in crisis, they need to be held accountable and make sure that our tax dollars are being used wisely.

It looks as if we are well on our way to getting quite a chunk of the cash.

Why?

Because the monies that would be spent on funding an unecessary medical school could be better spent on our woefully supported SUS. It could be use to further enhance the state's existing centers of excellence.

So, in essence, you are doing exactly what you accuse UCF of doing.  You want the existing centers to keep all the money.  That would make THEM greedy, right?

And for the record, I do realize your position has never changed on this matter.  Nobody has challenged that fact.

Guest S.  Bien

Correct, as MANY have stated before.  And that one will be at UCF.

And?

Farther along AT THAT POINT IN TIME!  The end date has not arrived yet and UCF is closing fast.  Nice try.

Which would more than likely put pressure on USF research dollars.  Yes, I realize the schools will be doing different research but some companies spend a ton of money on research in different areas.  Allocation of funds may change.

So, you being a homer has plenty to do with your opinion on this matter.

It looks as if we are well on our way to getting quite a chunk of the cash.

So, in essence, you are doing exactly what you accuse UCF of doing.  You want the existing centers to keep all the money.  That would make THEM greedy, right?

And for the record, I do realize your position has never changed on this matter.  Nobody has challenged that fact.

Mav,

A few things about your comments.

First, of course the UCF commissioned report said there was a need and shortage.  You didn't expect it to reflect anything other than that did you?  It's like they call MAI commissioned appraisals, Made, As, Instructed.  The researches know their client, and they know the desired results therefore the report and facts will be manipulated to get said data.

I am not accusing UCF of anything, or anything USF or FIU or anyone else hasn't done, it's just on reports such as feasibility studies that are contracted by biased individuals it's hard to put to much credence in the findings.  

As for UCF's medical school straining USF's research dollars...hardly.  USF's benefited from our massive land bank by donating land, facilities and doctors to many research centers and hospitals to occupy space on our campus.  To that we now have some world class facilities that sit on our campus which cannot be duplicated by any new medical school.  For example the Johnny Byrd Alzheimer's Center, Moffett Cancer Center, the Eye Center, and Shriners.   That gives us a wealth of research partnerships and possibilities.  All three are exclusive in their own right in FL for their respective specialties.  Your school can easily create a medical school and get accreditation and start kicking out doctors in 5-6 years, but to add the infrastructure, facilities, and research partnerships like USF- well that could take decades.  But of course it all starts with getting a medical school so if UCF gets it then they've achieved the first step.

Guest FIU Panther Fan

I don't belive FAU has a medical school?  It is actually a satellite building of the UM Medical school.  Besides that I agree with a lot of what you have to say (Cyberbull).  Additionally, I would love to not be at the mercy of the State in order to start the FIU Med School.  Without their support we have already completed (through fundraising activities) the first of what we hope will be many Medical buildings on campus and have an additonal $15MM in the bank.  I am sure that through private means the University could bankroll the Med school, however, that's not how it works.  We have to go through the red tape and the petty politics of people (not saying this is the case about ANYONE on this board) who do not want to see other institutions attempt to better themselves.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

We have to go through the red tape and the petty politics of people (not saying this is the case about ANYONE on this board) who do not want to see other institutions attempt to better themselves.

That is a good point. Remember the state university system's co-opting of New College, and attempts to co-opt programs at USF-St. Pete.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

why not increase enrollment at already existing schools

there is no need  for more medical schools in florida

Guest FIU Panther Fan

I say increase enrollment at schools, isn't that an institutional decision?  Why didn't these institutions ask for more or get more from the state before the request?  If they would have done it before then there would be absolutely no BASIS for the request.  Unfortunately, none of the current schools decided to do this and now both FIU and UCF have a better argument for it.

I'm sure glad that we have an expert of the state of Florida healthcare system.  Will you be called to provide expert testimony before the BOG?