• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU/UCF Med. School?

Guest FIU Panther Fan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

We don't need so many med schols starting at once, it waters down the entire medical education process within the state.  If we need two more schools, they should be staggered out at five years starting dates.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Giving a city wide view, Orlando is the largest city without one and with the medical center here, it's becomming a good asset to work with.

Even if it's USF's school expanding to work with them, the group here is too good not to use.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

We don't need so many med schols starting at once, it waters down the entire medical education process within the state.  If we need two more schools, they should be staggered out at five years starting dates.

Can you give us some reasoning for this?  That has to be the most absurd thing I have read in quite a while.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

It is simple, from 2 standpoints.  First point: the initial costs should be spread out because it will have a direct impact on funding on the university system as a whole and the other med schools in particular.  By spreading them out, the costs are spread out.  Second point: where do you think the educators come from?  Do you think that all of them just appear from thin air?  Many of them will come from other institutions within the state.  By all of the sudden creating 2 schools at once, there becomes a dramatic change in the professor dynamics statewide.

Mav, these are simple concepts.  That you want to argue them is amusing.  I didn't say that UCf shouldn't get a school, all I'm saying is that they should stagger them out. ::)

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Mav is like a little child begging for attention....

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

It is simple, from 2 standpoints.  First point: the initial costs should be spread out because it will have a direct impact on funding on the university system as a whole and the other med schools in particular.  By spreading them out, the costs are spread out.  Second point: where do you think the educators come from?  Do you think that all of them just appear from thin air?  Many of them will come from other institutions within the state.  By all of the sudden creating 2 schools at once, there becomes a dramatic change in the professor dynamics statewide.

Mav, these are simple concepts.  That you want to argue them is amusing.  I didn't say that UCf shouldn't get a school, all I'm saying is that they should stagger them out. ::)

Those are very good points.  I hadn't thought about the second one.  

But I thought the one reason they would allow TWO would be that each school would pretty much pay for the startup costs.  I am sure not ALL of them but most.

As far as the educators go, I am sure they don't ALL have to come from in state.

But good points nonetheless.  Just not sure they are reasons enough to stagger them.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236

Well I happen to be very close to someone on that board and I am being told quite the opposite.  FIU jumped the gun because they knew they had a weaker argument that UCF.  UM has a medical school, the closest medical school to Orlando, which is also the largest MSA without a medical school in the entire country, is in Tampa.

I like how cyber seems to think he knows why UCF wants a medical school.  Gee cyber, could it be because UCF wants to contineu to grow its academic status.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I don't see the practicality of having one at FIU.  That means there are 2 in Miami and that's too many considering there is a major city without one.  Orlando has an actual need for one, so I think it should come here.

No offense to FIU, but I see it only as the school trying to validate itself.