• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What is enough?

Guest Guest

Competing or winning?  I am personally tired of hearing people saying that we at least hung with Penn St.  This game could have easily been ours if it wasn't for the stupidity or lack of play calling and clock management!  Obviously, balls were dropped and kicks were missed, but that does not change the fact that our play calling was too predictable and our drives took longer than life!  I feel that in order for any team or any person to be great, they need to take chances!  Rod Smith calling running plays with 7 minutes left in the game is pathetic!  We are in the Big East now!  Let's take some **** risks and take the Big East by storm!  Notice there was not even 1 deep ball throw! I honestly do not know what to say at this point!  Defense looked good, Julmiste looked great (Amazingly).  Go Bulls!  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

for a second there, I thought your post started with the phrase "complimenting or whining" because that seems to be about all you ever hear on this board anymore.

I miss the level-headed game introspection we used to get. Now it seems like nothing but a bunch of cry babies and wannabee head coaches who would rather micomanage BS stuff like the color of uniforms or the size of the lettering on the names--- than to give those kids credit for trying their hardest to win the game against PSU for us-- something they were clearly seen by the rest of the world as a major under dog to do.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

I think so many forget just how good the Penn State Defense is nationally, and taking that into consideration we played very admirably.  We were nearly 4 TD underdogs going into the game and only lost by 10, we lost a lot of people money in Vegas.  We will get better, here are some other positives to be taken from the game.  

ODDS AND ENDS: Brandon Baker, who hit a career-long 68-yard punt, ranks second in the Big East and 10th nationally with a 45.2 average. ... LB Stephen Nicholas is tied for second nationally with two sacks and CB Trae Williams is tied for fourth with one interception. ... Peyton's two TD receptions are the third-most nationally by a wide receiver. ... USF ranks third nationally in pass defense. ... USF's four-game losing streak, dating to last year, is the longest in program history. ... For the third time in USF's past six games, the offensive line didn't allow a sack.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGB40DZ38DE.html

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Seems to me I saw a couple of deep balls thrown...missed by the receiver in one instance and overthrown in the other.

What do you want? A bevy of trick plays? Our strong point is Hall...so he's spending the season with a big fat target on his back. Slow him - or stop him - and we have no alternative to go to our less-than-stellar receiving corps.

It ain't magic...it's just football.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

Seems to me I saw a couple of deep balls thrown...missed by the receiver in one instance and overthrown in the other.

What do you want? A bevy of trick plays? Our strong point is Hall...so he's spending the season with a big fat target on his back. Slow him - or stop him - and we have no alternative to go to our less-than-stellar receiving corps.

It ain't magic...it's just football.

I have to disagree with you there Wooly.  I think we have a good/great receiving corps which was the frustrating part on Saturday.  Our receivers are not that bad, but they were obviously having some type of butterflies or something and finally calmed down. They will pick up their level of play during the year and win us some games.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

We had a lot of positives, but the most important is a WIN ... we failed that. But I am PROUD of my Beloved BULLS !!!

PSU has an average team and we need to better ourselves so we can WIN, not just compete with L'ville & Miami.

The ONLY good news regarding this loss is that it's an OOC game. My goal of winning the Big East is still attainable.

Remember a long ball to Carleton Hill  8) I have never coached offense, only Defense and Special Teams ... for little league play. I don't totally agree with some of the play calling ... on BOTH sides. But I'm FAR from a good judge of things.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Our receivers are not that bad, but they were obviously having some type of butterflies or something and finally calmed down. They will pick up their level of play during the year and win us some games.

Good...I hope they do. However, I'm not going to attach the label "good/great" until I see it on the field. Make the catches you're s'posed to make (good) and then impress me with the impossible snags (great).  

Point being: "competing or winning". I think this game - had it been played last year - would have been a disaster. This year, however, competing is enough.

Guest S.  Bien
Competing or winning?  I am personally tired of hearing people saying that we at least hung with Penn St.  This game could have easily been ours if it wasn't for the stupidity or lack of play calling and clock management!  Obviously, balls were dropped and kicks were missed, but that does not change the fact that our play calling was too predictable and our drives took longer than life!  I feel that in order for any team or any person to be great, they need to take chances!  Rod Smith calling running plays with 7 minutes left in the game is pathetic!  We are in the Big East now!  Let's take some **** risks and take the Big East by storm!  Notice there was not even 1 deep ball throw! I honestly do not know what to say at this point!  Defense looked good, Julmiste looked great (Amazingly).  Go Bulls!  

Here's the thing, one team wins, and one team loses.  Why don't you take a little slide down memory lane.  Look at the last five times our teams have played BCS opponents and see what the outcome was- 2004 Pitt, and USC; 2003- Bama; 2002- Ark and OK....

Now, before you start running your mouth, sounding ignorant, and looking stupid think back to how we faired against all those opponents.  Now think back to how we did against PSU on Saturday where we had a shot at winning, and only a few costly errors kept us from possibly winning.  Compare that result to the others I have listed.....exactly, the point being is this team was within 10pts of a major BCS program that returned 9 senior starters, and 15 guys that played last year on a defense that was 6th ranked in the nation.  We gave up zero sacks, ran for more yards than the defense averaged surrendering last year, and generally moved the ball after the first quarter.

Tell me when we did that against Pitt, USC, ARK, OK, and Bama.  We didn't.  Tell me the score difference in those games- averaging almost a 26pt spread, and this game was 10pts.  Oh and the best part is we're extremely young- 14 guys saw their first collegiate action in that game for USF- compared to PSU's team that started 15 SENIORS!

Sounds to me like we're improving, and sounds to me like this guest has worn out his welcome.

Guest S.  Bien

By the way Guest, I am sick of hearing the "there was no deep balls thrown."  Were you out getting a juice box on PJ's long tosses to Carlton Hill (one of PJ's few misses and Carlton was open for a split second), and Amarri Jackson?  We didn't possess the ball enough to throw many more long balls.

Again, a DL that had four seniors on it you don't expect an eternity to throw the ball.

Jeez this crowd, we throw for a 20 yard out to Green and that's not deep enough, we throw a 9 yard crossing pattern to Hill and that's not short enough.....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

What really get's me about our offense, is that we played against a very good Defense.  ;)

Look at what Big 10 (plus 1) teams did against this team in 2004.

Go BULLS !!!