• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF@PSU:  Upon further review

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Went to the game.  Fun time.  Acted the "fool" in the stands.  Sorry if I bugged or irritated anyone.  Was tired & hoarse as Belzabubville after the game.  Anyway I watched the game on the DVR today and have a few comments.

PSU Fans - Nice but not very loud for 100K.  Definitely not rabid.  Lotta nice blue hairs.  Makes me wonder if I'll be leaving games hoarse, dehydrated, and w/a throbbing cranium from yelling my arse off in 20 yrs.  Probably not.

PSU Co-ed Talent - Almost nonexistent in the crowd at Beaver Stadium.  Can't touch USF or any FL university for that matter.  I'm sure there's some but percentage wise nothing to shake a stick at.  UofSC was going on compared to PSU.  Southern women...ya gotta luv 'em.

Beaver Stadium - Typical college stadium.  Would not trade RJS for it even if it was on campus.  Hate pissing in troughs at FB games.  Bench seats.  Replay boards should be bigger.  Similar to UofSC w/o the round-d-rounds at the stadium corners.

PA Interstates - They suck.

USF Defense - They look improved but gave up way to many ground yards and dodged a bullet or two vs. the passing game.  One of PSU's WRs gator armed a sure TD.  Lady Luck had USF's back on that play.

Stephen Nickolas (Stevie Nicks) - Pure animal.  I will pray on Sunday morns to have him in '06.

T. Royals - Saw some good things

Pat Saint Louis (PSL) - Needs some work.  Cost the D on a few plays.

Mike Jenkins - Blocked several times on PSU plays around the end but he's got some wheels to run 'em down.

The Interference call - A bogus homerville call.  Zebra might as well plant his kisser on JoePa's rumpus.  I thought there were 4-5 questionable calls/no-calls that went PSU's way that could have altered the game.  USF probably only had 1 or 2 such calls.

Offense:

Ammari Jackson & SJ Greene - Hands of steel and stone however Mr. Julmiste will never be mistaken for a "touch" passer.

Johnny Peyton - Who cares if he's 5th on the DC.  The boy is "THE MAN"!

Ricky Ponton -  Announcer kept calling him Andre but not shabby.

Carlton Hill - Freshman mistakes put I saw the potential.  Someone explain why there was not "Tripping" called on his reverse.  One of those questionable no calls.  Again, Zebra kisses for JoePa's rumpus.

Pat Julmiste - Pat is better.  I thought he was the man after the game in Happy Valley but after watching on TV I'm not sold 100%.   And for Pat, he's throwing better but his passing still needs more accuracy and touch.  Several passes behind the WRs including the INT that was tipped. If PJ had the athleticism of Denson then his lack of arm would be excused but he doesn't.  Pat would be a great 2nd string QB for the Bulls if Leavitt could find a potential AllCon QB.

I'm glad USF has FAMU & UCF in the next two weeks.  If he can improve some there is hope.  At least he got better as the game went on.  The TD passes were sweet.  Pat will be the unavoidable QB in '06 if he gets a grip on the position in '05.

Courtney Denson - First, while Denson looked ragged he was playing QB for the first time in three yrs against a Top 10 D in the nation loaded w/seniors and AllCon players.  Not to mention the last time he played in a game as a QB it was H.S.  I wanna see CD play vs. a slightly lesser D in a more normal situation to gauge his arm accuracy(not against a ravenous, fresh D in the first qtr on the road in front of 100,000 opposing fans).

Andre Hall - USF is just plain lucky to have this kid.  God Bless Him.  If USF had him four yrs, we would be saying, "Marquell who?  Oh yea, I remember that cat."  If Andre was a sub 4.4 guy he'd be Adrian Pederson II.

Overall - Our Footbulls are better on both sides of the ball.  We should beat UCF in two weeks but it's not a done deal unless PSU turns out to have a Top 5 D and a top 3 B10 team.  First is likely the second, I doubt it.  IMO, our Bulls are a 4-6 win team.  7 if the D corrects all its mistakes, the WR's get rid of the dropseys and Lady Luck comes to town and blows on the proverbial dice.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

PSU Fans - Nice but not very loud for 100K.  Definitely not rabid.  

Gotta agree with you there Doug.  Although it was awesome to see the number of people, it didn't seem that loud.  Maybe becuase we gave them more of a game than they expected (after the 17-0 start).

PSU Co-ed Talent - Almost nonexistent in the crowd at Beaver Stadium.  Can't touch USF or any FL university for that matter.  I'm sure there's some but percentage wise nothing to shake a stick at.

Again, gotta agree with you Doug. I think we (USF fans) brought the good looking girls to the stadium.

PA Interstates - They suck

The traffic out of Beaver stadium really sucks.  I guess that's what happens when you stick a 100k plus stadium in the middle of nowhere.  And I thought Florida had a lot of construction.  Man.

As far as the football points, all good remarks.  I have not watched the game on my DVR yet so I will hold my remarks until such time.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

USF Defense - They look improved but gave up way to many ground yards ...

Those 2 long breakaway runs cost us the game, reminded me of Army  :-[

Stephen Nickolas (Stevie Nicks) - Pure animal.  I will pray on Sunday morns to have him in '06.

He needs to see that he'll make more upfront money with a great senior year, but am sure he'll have a strong year here in 05, but would need a MONSTER year to be a day 1 pick. Wait and become a 1st round pick.

T. Royals - Saw some good things

I think both ends played well, didn't see Julmiste which tells me our starters did well. JJ is special though and we'll see a lot of him next week.

Pat Saint Louis (PSL) - Needs some work.  Cost the D on a few plays.
He'll see it in film and correct it ... he's too good of a talent.

While on LB's ... what's the thoughts on MLB play ?

Pat Julmiste - Pat is better.

Agree 1005 !!!

I'm glad USF has FAMU & UCF in the next two weeks.  If he can improve some there is hope.  At least he got better as the game went on.  The TD passes were sweet.  Pat will be the unavoidable QB in '06 if he gets a grip on the position in '05.

Even with the drops, his numbers are good and he looked calm all day. Would like to see the TCU performace against L'ville and UM.

Courtney Denson - First, while Denson looked ragged he was playing QB for the first time in three yrs against a Top 10 D in the nation loaded w/seniors and AllCon players.  Not to mention the last time he played in a game as a QB it was H.S.  I wanna see CD play vs. a slightly lesser D in a more normal situation to gauge his arm accuracy(not against a ravenous, fresh D in the first qtr on the road in front of 100,000 opposing fans).

I'm sure he'll play atleast 5 series against famu.

Go BULLS !!!

Carlton Hill - Freshman mistakes put I saw the potential.  Someone explain why there was not "Tripping" called on his reverse.  One of those questionable no calls.  Again, Zebra kisses for JoePa's rumpus.

Doug, you should remember this from your playing days... it is legal to use any limb to tackle the ball carrier.

Hence, it wasn't tripping.

"Tripping" is only called when the player that was tripped does not have the ball (or act like he has the ball - like on a play-action-pass, tripping the RB would be legal).

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

stephen nicholas should stay at usf.he is not that good to leave early

psu was a bad team

we couldn't move the ball; our offense on a look like a 1 out of a 10

i didn't see any improvement form julmiste

maybe i will see it  next game

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Doug, you should remember this from your playing days... it is legal to use any limb to tackle the ball carrier.

"Tripping" is only called when the player that was tripped does not have the ball (or act like he has the ball - like on a play-action-pass, tripping the RB would be legal).

It never came up "in the day" but all  the bickering in the stands made me wonder if it was illegal/doubt it was okay.  It was just didn't seem right either.  I guess the memory is fading.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

I think that tripping of the runner is legal only within the tackle box area, so it was ok.  Still sucked.

BTW...nice to meet you BullDoug and your Band of travelers.  Hope you guys enjoyed Altuna.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  57

Provided the defense is in the "interior" (i.e. past the line of scrimmage), they can trip all they want to make a tackle. Unorthodox as that play may have seemed, it was well within the rules.  No JoPa rump kissing there...the defense pass interference on the other hand....

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  64

From page 107 of the NCAA rule book:

Persons Subject to the Rules Restrictions

ARTICLE 2. No person subject to the rules shall commit a personal foul

before the game, during the game or between the periods. Any act prohibited

hereunder or any other act of unnecessary roughness is a personal foul.

a. No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent with the knee;

strike an opponent’s helmet (including the face mask), neck, face or any

other part of the body with an extended forearm, elbow, locked hands,

palm, fist, or the heel, back or side of the open hand; or gouge an opponent

(A.R. 9-1-2-I and II).

b. No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent with his foot or

any part of his leg that is below the knee.

c. There shall be no tripping (Exception: Against the runner).

d. There shall be no clipping (A.R. 9-1-2-III).

Exceptions:

1. When offensive players are on the line of scrimmage at the snap

within a rectangular area centered on the middle lineman of the

offensive formation and extending five yards laterally and three

yards longitudinally in each direction, they legally may clip in the

rectangular area.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_football_rules.pdf

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

PSU Co-ed Talent - Almost nonexistent in the crowd at Beaver Stadium.  Can't touch USF or any FL university for that matter.  I'm sure there's some but percentage wise nothing to shake a stick at.  UofSC was going on compared to PSU.  Southern women...ya gotta luv 'em.

I got to disagree on this one.  I did not see alot of hotties at the game except this one USF chick with big knockers.  However, I spent plenty of time in State College downtown bars Friday and Saturday night.  Smoking chicks everywhere, and sadly, I am about 10 to 13 years older than all of them   :(   One thing I noticed about the girls is that all of the ones with good figures were wearing short skirts.  I guess they want to air out their thighs before it gets too cold up there.  Nothing is funnier than seeing a chick with a huge rack and wearing a tight T-shirt that says "Happy Valley" across the chest.  I will have to check out the young-ins at Ybor this weekend to determine if the USF chicks still have the charm or have slid down a notch on the hottie scale.

One thing that they have which has disapeared from the Tampa area is cheap drinks.  All of the St. College bars were charging $3 to $5 covers, but once you got inside, you could get a good sized and stiffly poured Captain and Coke for only $2.50.  The bartenders eyes pop out when you leave them a dollar tip for one drink.  I made sure that they saw my USF t-shirt when I tipped them.  We may have lost the game, but we are not sore losers and appreciate a consolation drink after the game.