• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

South Florida joins the big boys

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

From the Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel...

South Florida joins the big boys

Win or lose, move to a BCS conference gives Bulls program more clout

By Shandel Richardson

Staff Writer

Posted August 25 2005

Look no further than the schedule the next two years to see how far the University of South Florida football program has come.

On Oct. 1, the Bulls play Miami in the Orange Bowl. The following year the teams meet in Tampa. A home-and-home series with one of the nation's most prominent programs.

Progress made. Respect earned.

"Just the sheer fact that we were able to schedule Miami to play us home and home, that makes a statement," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said. "We'll be in a huge uphill battle in that game, but how exciting is that? What an opportunity. The great challenges create great opportunities."

In just 10 years, South Florida has gone from fledgling program to competing in a BCS conference. The Bulls have taken steps forward each year. It made the move from Division I-AA to I-A and this year leaps from Conference USA to the Big East.

The progression has been so fast that sixth-year senior linebacker James Allen could possibly make history. Leavitt said he believes Allen might be the only player to compete in I-AA and I-A while doing it in two conferences.

"That's quite a trivia question," Leavitt said.

Leavitt says the excitement level is at an all-time high. Gone are the days where they ran the program out of trailers and held practices at local high schools. The school has a new athletic facility and plays its home games at Raymond James Stadium. Gone are opponents such as Kentucky Wesleyan and Cumberland, having been replaced with Penn State (season-opener) and Louisville.

"I'm more excited about our program than I've ever been," Leavitt said. "As we went into this season, we knew it was going to be very difficult, going from I-AA to Conference USA to the Big East at warp speed. ... In the next two or three years, South Florida will be a powerful program. Now we're playing in the Big East, now we can play for a national championship."

The enthusiasm among the coaches has made it an easy sell for the players and potential recruits. The Bulls have been able to land some solid players from within the state, including junior linebacker Stephen Nicholas and senior running back Andre Hall. Nicholas is the top returning defender and Hall rushed for a school-record 1,357 yards last year.

With everything falling into place, Leavitt thinks back to when it was a struggle to impress recruits. He remembered once trying to persuade former Miami Central quarterback Courtney Denson to attend USF out of high school. Denson decided on Auburn because South Florida was not in a BCS conference at the time. After being unhappy at Auburn, Denson transferred to South Florida and will compete with Pat Julmiste (Miramar) for the starting job.

"You gotta believe in what you're selling," Leavitt said. "It has reached our coaches, that excitement, that enthusiasm."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/sfl-fbusfpreview05aug25,0,1917051.story?coll=tf-main-sports

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Days Won:  0

wow i lived in ft lauderdale for a couple of years that may be the first time i've seen an article dedicated to USF sports in the  sun sentinel. ;D

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Much thanks to Borkowski, Castor, Genshaft, Griffin, Leavitt, Selmon & Woolard.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

UPSET !!!    UPSET !!!    UPSET !!!     ;D

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

On Oct. 1, the Bulls play Miami in the Orange Bowl. The following year the teams meet in Tampa. A home-and-home series with one of the nation's most prominent programs.

Is this conjecture or fact?

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

9,999 upsets and still going

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433

I read that paper this morning and there was no such article in the paper, they previewed the first game of the season for every school in florida except USF. Don't know what their problem is. I know they are sent material from our SID department, but for some reason they refuse to put us in. I've sent e-mails to them about it but have gotten no response. Maybe you guys can start your e-mail bombs and find out!

Guest Bullistic930

I've just gotta point out how totally sweet this is! The established programs out there are, well, established....sure they play good football year in year out but they aren't GOING anywhere.

USF is going places my friends! What an exciting time to be a Bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I read that paper this morning and there was no such article in the paper, they previewed the first game of the season for every school in florida except USF. Don't know what their problem is. I know they are sent material from our SID department, but for some reason they refuse to put us in. I've sent e-mails to them about it but have gotten no response. Maybe you guys can start your e-mail bombs and find out!

Here is the info on the reporter from that article:

Shandel Richardson can be reached at sdrichardson@sun-sentinel.com

Not sure if this is a "beat" reporter or one that was assigned to write this specific article.

For those who do send an email -- I suggest that positive letters may elicit a better response. ("You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.")

Or you can contact the Sports Editor

Fred Turner (fturner@sun-sentinel.com)

(954) 356-4635

Or you can write a letter to the editor:

letters@sun-sentinel.com

[NOTE: Letters to the editor must be signed (pseudonyms and initials will not be used) and are subject to editing for clarity and length. You must include your e-mail address. An address and daytime phone number are also required for verification.]

This was on the Sun-Sentinel website:

Sports

Sun-Sentinel SPORTS attracts an audience that is predominately male, college-educated and upper income.

Sun-Sentinel Sports features Florida's best sports section, ranked in the nation's top 10 five years in a row by The Associated Press Sports Editors Awards. The section's list of scores and standings is among the area's most comprehensive. It covers a variety of sports, from the professional ranks to college and high schools. The sports staff welcomes news releases on sporting events of any kind that are of general interest to the public. All materials should be submitted two weeks in advance to Sports at the Fort Lauderdale office, 200 E. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Let 'em have it Bulls Nation!!