• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wednesday Practice Report

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

From the USF SID Office

Leavitt Likes the Work From Running Backs in Final USF Scrimmage

(August 24, 2005) TAMPA, FLA. -- With many of the starters sitting the night out - including running back Andre Hall and his likely backup Ricky Ponton - USF head coach Jim Leavitt liked the work he got from sophomore Chad Simpson and freshman Moise Plancher in tonight’s 70-play scrimmage. Simpson scored two touchdowns on the night.

Hall, who returns with his 1,357 rushing yards from last season, has sat out both USF scrimmages with his starting job secure. Ponton, a redshirt freshman has also missed both scrimmages with a shoulder injury, but he was in full pads tonight and Leavitt said he could have gone, but a decision was made to be cautious.

Quarterback Courtney Denson also sat the night out with what Leavitt said as a sore hamstring. Pat Julmiste and Carlton Hill handled quarterback chores for most of the night with Anthony Severino also seeing action.

Leavitt has not named a starting quarterback for next week’s season opener at Penn State, but indicated Denson, Julmiste and Hill will likely all play in the game. Hill’s action may be at receiver.

Guest Sprtsfn627
Quarterback Courtney Denson also sat the night out with what Leavitt said as a sore hamstring

Anyone else reading that as "We expect Denson to start and don't want him to get hurt?"

I might be reading into that too much, but...seems kinda interesting to me.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  46
  • Days Won:  0

nice try, but he had his hammy taped up at this mornings practice  :)

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

He won't make it through three series against PSU if that hammy is really aggravated to the point it is taped up now. That is a real pisser... Hammy's don't heal in a week or two... tender is as tender does. Expect PJ to get a lot of reps in that game with Hill coming in when PJ is ineffective to stretch PSU out. That hammy taped up is the worst thing to come out of this camp. You don't sit your starting QB at this time of the year, especially when he is green as green gets with the offense. I wish I was over exaggerating this hammy issue... but the proof is in the pudding. I want to go cry right about now... This truly is heart breaking news.  :(

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

He won't make it through three series against PSU if that hammy is really aggravated to the point it is taped up now. That is a real pisser... Hammy's don't heal in a week or two... tender is as tender does. Expect PJ to get a lot of reps in that game with Hill coming in when PJ is ineffective to stretch PSU out. That hammy taped up is the worst thing to come out of this camp. You don't sit your starting QB at this time of the year, especially when he is green as green gets with the offense. I wish I was over exaggerating this hammy issue... but the proof is in the pudding. I want to go cry right about now... This truly is heart breaking news.  :(

It depends on just how bad the hammy is too.  I can think of MANY things i'd rather hear over that though.  One thing denson WONT be showing us is his speed if that's still taped up for PSU.

Here's a recap from the Tampa Trib:

QB Denson Held Out

Published: Aug 19, 2005

TAMPA - University of South Florida sophomore Courtney Denson, who pulled slightly ahead of junior incumbent Pat Julmiste earlier this week, missed a chance to separate himself further, missing Wednesday's scrimmage with a sore left hamstring.

"It's not bad. I should be able to practice today," Denson said. "What hurts is that I needed to play to get better and I didn't get that chance. But I took a bunch of mental reps."

With Denson out, Julmiste took the majority of the snaps with the first team and freshman Carlton Hill handled the second team.

"We had Pat going and we wanted to give Carlton some more work at quarterback, so we got all that in," Coach Jim Leavitt said. "Pat and Carlton did good."

With the scrimmage geared for the run game, Julmiste said he was pleased how he directed the offense.

"I feel good about what I did," he said. "I made a couple of good checks to put us in good run play situations. I got better from the last scrimmage reading the defenses and putting us in the right situation.

"When the coaches are ready to name a starter, they'll tell us," he said. "All I can do is work."

Leavitt said he will probably wait until the day of the season opener (Sept. 3 at Penn State) to name a starter, but hinted "all three will play somewhere."

Hill also has worked at receiver.

"My progress at quarterback could be better, but I think I stepped up and did some good things," he said.

With RBs Andre Hall and Ricky Ponton held out, freshman Moise Plancher and sophomore Chad Simpson (two TDs) did well, Leavitt said.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBCJ5ZGSCE.html

Here's a recap from the St Pete Times:

USF: QB comes up sore

TAMPA - USF's quarterback battle took another twist Wednesday when sophomore Courtney Denson, challenging junior Pat Julmiste for the opening-day start, was held out of a 70-play scrimmage with a sore hamstring.

"He's OK," coach Jim Leavitt said. "We had Pat going, and we wanted to give (freshman Carlton Hill) some more work. He's just sore. It's not really anything major. He could have gone tonight, but why? Pat did good. ... Carlton looked good."

Leavitt said he probably won't name a starter for USF's Sept. 3 opener at Penn State until game day and reiterated that all three quarterbacks will likely play.

Leavitt, who held several starters out, said running backs Chad Simpson, Moise Plancher and Colby Erskin played well Wednesday.

... ... Redshirt freshman running back Ricky Ponton of Hillsborough, recovering from a sore shoulder, practiced in pads for the first time in a week. ... Sophomore linebacker Josh Balloon of Jefferson was carted off from Wednesday's scrimmage with his right ankle wrapped. ...

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/08/25/Sports/Gators_glad_to_get_co.shtml

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  46

dont get carried away.  He did practice in the morning session.  But when I read the practice report and saw Denson was out, it made me remember he had one piece of tape around his thigh.  In the morning session i dont remember him limping or anything.  I think it was cautionary, nothing more....

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266

i didn't know the trib could predict the future

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

This scares the crap outta me: QB Denson Held Out