• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls vs. Army Series

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: http://bit.ly/2tZmVnA

No-Hit Friday Night; Bulls Make History against Army 

USF recorded just the fourth no-hitter in program history and first combined; Bulls struck out a program record 22 in shutout win

TAMPA, FLA., MARCH 16, 2018 – Redshirt sophomore lefty Shane McClanahan and sophomore righty Carson Ragsdale combined to throw the University of South Florida baseball team’s first combined no-hitter, as the team had a Friday night to remember with its 12-0 series opening win against Army West Point. 

The Bulls (13-6) were well positioned to get their sixth-straight victory when they scored six runs on four hits in the first inning. USF then added runs in the next two innings to lead 8-0 after three.

But the night belonged to McClanahan (Cape Coral, Fla.) and Ragsdale (Wesley Chapel, Fla.), who both had career nights to lead USF to a night that would be etched in program history. The All-American lefty struck out eight-straight at one point, allowing just three walks over 6.0 innings pitched. 

Ragsdale entered in the seventh and immediately struck out a pair, retiring the Black Knights (7-10) in order. He then struck out the side on just 13 pitches in the eighth. Army threatened with a pair of walks in the ninth and a couple long at-bats, but Ragsdale closed the door and completed one of the most memorable nights in USF baseball history.

Quotables

Head coach Billy Mohl on the performance from both his pitchers:

“Both Shane and Rags were extremely sharp tonight. They commanded the strike zone well with their fastball and were able to put hitters away with quality pitches when ahead in the count. All the credit goes to them both and I’m so proud of them.”

Shane McClanahan on the night and how he’s feeling after another stellar outing:

“It was awesome to be apart of, but it was another game as usual. I had to go out and execute. I feel great every game because I go out there and know my team has my back.” 

Key Stats 

0 – This was the first combined no-hitter in program history and the first no-hitter of any kind since 2010. It was just the fourth overall.

7 – Ragsdale struck out a career-high seven batters.

15 – McClanahan struck out a career-high 15 men, and it was just two shy of a program record.

22 – The 22 combined strikeouts were the most in a single game in program history. The 22 K’s were the second-most in a game in American Athletic Conference history. 

13 – USF recorded 10+ hits (13) for the 11th time this year.

12 – The Bulls scored 10+ runs for the seventh time this season. 

40.2 – McClanahan extended his nation-leading scoreless innings streak to 40.2.

Notables

·   Six Bulls had multiple hits, led by juniorGarrett Zech (Naples, Fla.), who went 3-for-4 with a triple, a home run, two runs scored and three RBI.

·   Duke Stunkel Jr. (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.), David Villar (Pembroke Pines, Fla.), Chris Chatfield (Riverview, Fla.), Coco Montes (Miami) and Joe Genord (Lake Worth, Fla.) each had two hits.

·   Genord hit his third homer in as many days.

·   Villar hit his conference-best 10th double of the season and scored three runs.

Up Next

USF and Army will continue the three-game series Saturday at 6:30 p.m.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game 2 Information

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: http://bit.ly/2G3HvYA

Bulls Extend Win Streak to Seven  

USF won its seventh-straight game and clinched its fourth-straight series win

TAMPA, FLA., MARCH 17, 2018 – The University of South Florida baseball team extended its no-hit streak to 14.2 before finally allowing three in the sixth inning, but remained in control all night and defeated Army, 5-2, Saturday to clinch the weekend series.  

The Bulls (14-6) had a big first inning for the second-straight night with consecutive hits, putting men in scoring position with no outs. David Villar(Pembroke Pines, Fla.) hit a sac fly to score Coco Montes (Miami) from third, then Chris Chatfield(Riverview, Fla.) smashed a triple to score Duke Stunkel Jr. (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.), making it 2-0.

Junior Joe Genord (Lake Worth, Fla.) had the first of his two hits in the next at-bat, scoring Chatfield to make it 3-0. Genord then extended USF’s lead in the fifth. Villar singled to lead off the frame, and three batters later, Genord ripped a line-drive homer to left, making it 5-0. 

Redshirt senior right hander Peter Strzelecki (Lake Worth, Fla.) did not allow a hit through the first 5.2 innings and was cruising with nine strikeouts up to the final out in the sixth. The Black Knights (7-10) had three-straight hits, ending the USF streak, while scoring two runs to make it 5-2. 

Strzelecki struck out another in a quick seventh, then junior closer Andrew Perez (Orlando) came in with two outs in the eighth and closed the door, securing the Bulls’ seventh-straight win.

Quotables

Head coach Billy Mohl on Peter Strzelecki’s start:

“Every time Pete pitches it feels like we play a two hour and fifteen minute game. He pounds the strike zone, had no walks and 11 strikeouts. He gave up a few hits in the sixth, but overall he had good stuff and pitched well.”

Head coach Billy Mohl on another hot start offensively:

“It’s great getting off to starts like that. Our pitchers can relax a little bit and worry about throwing strikes with less stressful pitches throughout the game.” 

Head coach Billy Mohl talking about Joe Genord and Duke Stunkel Jr. getting back to the flow of things after missing time early in the year:

“Those guys just don’t have as many at-bats as everyone else, but they’re starting to get those and feel more comfortable and swinging the bats really well because of it.” 

Key Stats 

4 – Genord has now homered in four-straight games, making him the first Bull to do so in program history.

10 – The Bulls had 10 hits for the 12th time this season.

11 – Strzelecki struck out 11 batters and did not allow a walk in 7.0 innings. He has 23 strikeouts in his last two starts.

1-6 – The first six in the Bulls’ lineup accounted for all 10 of the hits.

3 – Perez pitched a perfect 1.1 in picking up his third save of the season. He struck out three of the four batters he retired.

Notables

·   Montes finished 3-for-4 with a run scored.

·   Stunkel Jr. also had three hits with a double and a run.

·   Chatfield’s triple was his third of the year.

·   Genord went 2-for-4 with three RBI.

Up Next

USF and Army wrap up the final non-conference series of the season Sunday at 1 p.m. 

#SundaysAreForTheBrooms

brooms.jpg

Me too....I hope it is back for conference series...  and now that I am 3 hours behind east coast, these game times keep tripping me up, I need to set an alarm!

DYlg04aX4AE9soA.jpg

DYlhcefWsAMgzKv.jpg

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I don't know about Wisely after nine outs..... Might need to look elsewhere. Kinda wish CBM would have given this start to Stuart instead. Just to see if theres something there. 

4-3 Army as we head to top of 7th