• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf at TPC

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Been a long two days.  My wife and I made the trip up to Ponte Vedra on Monday morning. Got there in time to see the 2nd half of the first round and the whole 2nd round.  My FitBit almost freaked at the number of miles we put in.  Each player came up to us and thanked us for supporting them.  Christian DiMarco and Jimmie Jones' dads were both there. Both great guys. Chris DiMarco got to be a voluntary coach for the 2nd round.  There can only be 2 coaches on the course at one time so GCSB wasn't allowed to talk with the players.  Chris starts on the Champions Tour in August.  

We were trailing following the 2nd round yesterday and came out struggling this morning.  Our guys were playing with Arkansas and Liberty players (top 3 teams after the 2nd round).  Arkansas had a great second round on Monday to take the lead and came out playing well.  At one point they were up by, I believe, 5 strokes.  But then our guys solidified while Arkansas struggled.  We came back to take the lead and it grew to a 5 stroke lead.  Tennessee made a run but then faded as well.  On the final hole the last group came to the tee with USF up by 5.  Claudio proceeded to hit his tee ball almost out of bounds to the right.  Then he was only able to chip it into a bunker. Then pulled his 3rd shot into the water;  dropped, was hitting his 5th and pulled it almost into the water again - a bit past the flag and off the edge of the green to the left. By some miracle the ball stayed up. Just before that I had asked Pri Singh if there was any way a ball left of the flag could avoid the water.  He said "not really".  Well Claudio's shot did.  The Arkansas player missed his birdie putt by inches and Claudio chipped and then 2 putted for an 8 leaving USF with a 1 shot margin of victory.  Holy Guacamole.  What looked to be a sure thing sure wasn't.  Sad part was the Claudio was tied for individual honors going into that last hole.  But the guys were excited to get the win against some really good teams.  Rode down to Daytona for dinner with my wife's friend and then home. We are pretty exhausted but happy to have been there for the win.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Thanks Bourbon Bull.  Nice summary, kind of made me feel like I was there at the event. 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I was wondering what happened on the final hole.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Remember watching Chris Demarco on the PGA tour. He was pretty good. Hope his son makes the tour someday too 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

16 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Been a long two days.  My wife and I made the trip up to Ponte Vedra on Monday morning. Got there in time to see the 2nd half of the first round and the whole 2nd round.  My FitBit almost freaked at the number of miles we put in.  Each player came up to us and thanked us for supporting them.  Christian DiMarco and Jimmie Jones' dads were both there. Both great guys. Chris DiMarco got to be a voluntary coach for the 2nd round.  There can only be 2 coaches on the course at one time so GCSB wasn't allowed to talk with the players.  Chris starts on the Champions Tour in August.  

We were trailing following the 2nd round yesterday and came out struggling this morning.  Our guys were playing with Arkansas and Liberty players (top 3 teams after the 2nd round).  Arkansas had a great second round on Monday to take the lead and came out playing well.  At one point they were up by, I believe, 5 strokes.  But then our guys solidified while Arkansas struggled.  We came back to take the lead and it grew to a 5 stroke lead.  Tennessee made a run but then faded as well.  On the final hole the last group came to the tee with USF up by 5.  Claudio proceeded to hit his tee ball almost out of bounds to the right.  Then he was only able to chip it into a bunker. Then pulled his 3rd shot into the water;  dropped, was hitting his 5th and pulled it almost into the water again - a bit past the flag and off the edge of the green to the left. By some miracle the ball stayed up. Just before that I had asked Pri Singh if there was any way a ball left of the flag could avoid the water.  He said "not really".  Well Claudio's shot did.  The Arkansas player missed his birdie putt by inches and Claudio chipped and then 2 putted for an 8 leaving USF with a 1 shot margin of victory.  Holy Guacamole.  What looked to be a sure thing sure wasn't.  Sad part was the Claudio was tied for individual honors going into that last hole.  But the guys were excited to get the win against some really good teams.  Rode down to Daytona for dinner with my wife's friend and then home. We are pretty exhausted but happy to have been there for the win.

Whew! Way to gut it out. Congrats GolfBulls!

Great write-up BB.

You should write the Great American Golf Novel.

Maybe a newer, better Bagger Vance?

Yeah, baby! I'd buy a copy.