• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why is USF headed back to Birmingham? Chance for a ‘power’ play

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Why is USF headed back to Birmingham? Chance for a ‘power’ play

Published: December 4, 2017

While many of his constituents probably aren't crazy about spending a consecutive bowl season in Birmingham, USF athletic director Mark Harlan explained it was the only way the Bulls could meet their postseason objective.

Playing a "Power Six" foe in a bowl.

"It was about a Power Six opponent," Harlan explained from his office Monday. "It was the No. 1 goal, and that was really our focus."

Twelve months after their overtime triumph against South Carolina in the 2016 Birmingham Bowl, the No. 23 Bulls (9-2) return to face Big 12 foe Texas Tech (6-6) on Dec. 23.

"It was a fantastic experience (last year), so we're thrilled," Harlan said.

"I'm not immune to folks scratching their heads about a return game and I get it, but I would say that it's not all that uncommon for it to happen across the country. We've certainly seen it quite a bit."

Harlan said only two other bowls affiliated with the American Athletic Conference — the Liberty and Military — provided viable options for USF to face a "Power Six" team. The Liberty came into play because the SEC didn't have enough eligible teams to fulfill all its bowl tie-ins; the AAC has a secondary tie-in to the game.

"The Liberty Bowl is obviously a very high-payout game, and there was pretty much understanding that our conference runner-up would be going to the Liberty Bowl," Harlan said. "And then my own research showed that (Memphis) hadn't been there in over 50 years. So I think that one made logical sense."

He said USF also was in communication with the Military Bowl, which chose Navy. He added there was "a possible scenario" involving a bowl matchup against FSU (in the Military or Gasparilla Bowl, which has a secondary tie-in with the ACC), but the 'Noles landed in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La.

"There was always a chance that things could materialize that way," Harlan said. "My own professional look at that was that for Florida State to drop past Detroit (Quick Lane Bowl) and Shreveport didn't seem very likely, and as such it worked out that way."

As a result, the Bulls are back in Birmingham, for a game ranked by CBS Sports as the 13th-best matchup of the bowl season.

"If you go back to where I started, the most important thing for us was to play a Power Six, along with the fact we had an absolute fantastic trip last year," Harlan said. "They treated us about as good as any bowl I've ever been a part of."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/2017/12/04/why-is-usf-headed-back-to-birmingham-chance-for-a-power-play/

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 wins or more next year and the Military Bowl better be hooking us up. 

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

The Memphis/Liberty Bowl explanation I understand. Navy/Military Bowl on the other hand.. 

Harlan has to spin this any way he can but this team was failed when it was sent to Birmingham instead of Annapolis. 

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

7 wins or more next year and the Military Bowl better be hooking us up. 

6-7 wins next year and I would bet we end up in St. Pete.

2 minutes ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

The Memphis/Liberty Bowl explanation I understand. Navy/Military Bowl on the other hand.. 

Harlan has to spin this any way he can but this team was failed when it was sent to Birmingham instead of Annapolis. 

What could Harlan do? It was beyond HIS control: "Military Bowl, which chose Navy."

Just now, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

Possible but hopefully Mr. Thin Skin will be clear with his position relative to us getting screwed by the Military Bowl. Screw the conference, I hope Navy gets rolled...yes I am  bitter like that. 

Just now, Mama_Bull said:

What could Harlan do? It was beyond HIS control: "Military Bowl, which chose Navy."

I get that...I just hope he opened his mouth and complained as opposed to saying “yes sir may I please have another.” Certainly suggest there should be payback next year. 

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

3 minutes ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

We have a few different bowl options next season.  We are tied into the Armed Forces Bowl in Ft Worth, the New Orleans Bowl, and the Bahamas Bowl.  Still have Military, St Pete, Birmingham, and Boca too.  Armed Forces is against a Big 12 opponent, and Military is against an ACC team.  One change however is the St Pete Bowl is an ACC opponent next year.  So, it might not be a great destination for us, but it could be a mid tier ACC team we play if we end up going across the bridge.

• Upvote 2

In this conference, without winning even our division, we should be content to have played P5 teams in bowl games the past two years.

That's just the way it is right now, until we can renegotiate a better TV deal and better bowl games.

The main thing Aresco wants is to have a guaranteed big bowl game for our champion, if no AAC teams earn the NYD bowl. Ideally, he wants the NYD bowl to ONLY go to the AAC champion, but that might never happen.

Things will eventually get better in the conference, but we just need to be more patient. 

Edited by Mama_Bull
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeB said:

We have a few different bowl options next season.  We are tied into the Armed Forces Bowl in Ft Worth, the New Orleans Bowl, and the Bahamas Bowl.  Still have Military, St Pete, Birmingham, and Boca too.  Armed Forces is against a Big 12 opponent, and Military is against an ACC team.  One change however is the St Pete Bowl is an ACC opponent next year.  So, it might not be a great destination for us, but it could be a mid tier ACC team we play if we end up going across the bridge.

Those are decent options...I hope I don’t hear the words Birmingham Bowl and USF together for at least five years.