• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rating the state's O-Lines

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  0

We continue our position-by-position rankings at the state schools by looking at the offensive lines. The rankings will take a break next week, and they'll resume Aug. 7 with a look at defensive lines.

One thing to keep in mind: This ranking incorporates talent level and how comfortable coaches should be entering the season with these guys.

1. Miami: Star LT Eric Winston missed last season with a knee injury, and his return is huge -- figuratively and literally (he's 6 feet 7 and 315 pounds). The only real question is at center, where junior Anthony Wollschlager takes over.

2. Florida: Three starters return, headed by senior C Mike Degory (Palm Bay). A big key is how well LT Lance Butler plays after moving from guard. Both guards are new starters: senior Tavares Washington (he moved from tackle after spring ball) and redshirt freshman Jim Tartt.

3. Florida State: Two starters return, and the health of solid senior C David Castillo always is an issue. RG Matt Meinrod missed last season with an injury, and LT Cory Niblock is moving from guard. No reserve has seen much time. This is not a vintage Seminoles line.

4. UCF: The good news is that five starters return (though some will be at new positions). The bad news is the Knights had one of the worst offenses in the nation last season, when UCF quarterbacks were sacked 50 times. There are no senior starters, so this group could be really good next season.

5. USF: The Bulls return two starters from what had been a solid line, senior Gs Frank Davis and Chris Carothers. Depth looks iffy.

6. FIU: The Golden Panthers have all five starters back, and four are seniors. FIU allowed nine sacks last season, but this season's schedule is much tougher. C Victor Cernius is the standout.

7. FAU: The Owls are rebuilding, and the line is no exception. Two starters return.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

we will take a hit with searcy leaving

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

A lot of your fellow Bulls won't seem to admit that, but it's true.  Not only was he a decent player but you need lots of depth on the o-line more than anywhere else.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'd say OLine will be our one big weakness this year.  We won't be aweful though.  

I don't think our QB play will be as bad as last year as we actually have options now other than Julmiste.  I think we'll be right back to our old selves on defense because our D will actually get a breather here and there instead of being on the field 90% of the game.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442

If your O-line is one of your weaknesses, how will that improve qb play?  I am just comparing it to us (ucf) last year.  We were 3 and out more times than I can remember (or care to remember) because our O-line couldn't stop anyone.  In turn our defense stayed on field the majority of the game and the lack of depth killed us.

By having a better QB!

Our OLine wasn't very good last year. If our Oline is shallow, that doesn't mean it isn't capable of doing as well as last year (which wasn't very).    Hall had 1400 yards when he was the only thing anyone zoned in on.  Everyone knew it was either going to be an inaccurate throw or a run.  If we have denson or Grothe playing, that automatically changes for 100% attention to hall, to 75% or less.  And both QB's are very athletic and can make people miss.  Julmiste may have been strong but he wasn't shifty like Denson.  If our OLine is horrible, i agree, we would be in trouble.  But if it is similar to last year, (bad as it was), it was obvious there was room for improvement from the QB play as Pat missed so many opportunities.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I'd say OLine will be our one big weakness this year.

I'd prefer to say it will be a big question mark rather than weakness. I would have thought an eternal optimist would have, too ............   ;)

You did expand on it later where it didn't sound quite so bad .....

Guest S.  Bien
If your O-line is one of your weaknesses, how will that improve qb play?  I am just comparing it to us (ucf) last year.  We were 3 and out more times than I can remember (or care to remember) because our O-line couldn't stop anyone.  In turn our defense stayed on field the majority of the game and the lack of depth killed us.

Why is our OL a weakness?  We're returning three starters with a combined 50 starts.  We'll miss the three that departed but I wouldn't call it a weakness just yet.

Velcro, I wouldn't say our OL was bad last year by a long shot.  They surrendered something like 20 sacks total and had a three game stretch with zero sacks and I believe after the UL game they only gave up something amazing like 5 sacks.  Not to mention they had a RB that averaged an amazing 6.5 yards a carry, and when you include sacks our team still averaged almost 4.7 yards a carry.

sacks aren't the only stat to look at, but i think a good way to judge how our OLine did is look at what happened against teams with above average to good defenses (USC for example)... we couldn't do anything against them.  Everything compounded on us for that game... horrible QB play, lack of a run game because of teh qb play and oline... I think we'll be much better this year, but not because of much of a change in the OLine, just because we should have improved QB play.  

I'll defer on o-line expertise to anyone who wants to claim it.  I just say what I see, with an untrained eye.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

I feel very good about our O-line ... the talent we have in the wings seems pretty talented. Time will tell how good ... we'll know when L'ville visits.

Searcy obviously didn't have the skills and don't know about Toewe, but they were not originally in the equation.

I feel Good !

Go BULLS !!!