• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf Signings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

Signing today - Massimo Mbetse (Saint Stephen's Episcopal School/Bradenton)

usf.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

Bradley Unveils Next Generation of Bulls

November 14, 2017

By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, NOV. 14, 2017 – With four seniors on the current roster, USF men's golf has planned well for the future with the next generation of Bulls.

Head coach Steve Bradley has announced his five-player signing class that will join the program as incoming freshmen next fall. The talented group is led by Sweden national team member Albin Bergstrom and includes Luke Gifford, Anthony Muttillo, Amadeo Figus and Massimo Mbetse.

"With all five guys, there's a variety of what they've accomplished at the junior level and the amateur level," Bradley said. "As far as talent level is concerned, I'm extremely pleased and excited with their abilities. I think their best golf is still ahead of them."

Learn about USF's new signing class below:

20662ALBIN BERGSTROM: The member of Sweden's national team is the most accomplished new Bull with four title victories in the past four years – 2016 Norwegian Winter Open, 2015 Elite, 2014 Tall Elite and 2013 Skandia Cup. Bergstrom already has six top-10 finishes this year and 20 dating back to 2015 in competition all over the world.

BRADLEY'S TAKE: "Albin is probably the most polished of the bunch, just due to his national team experience and development. He's had success in several different countries. For us with him, I expect him to come in, play, compete and be in our top five. Eventually, it's possible for him to be the leader of this program. His ability and his results on the golf course are pretty incredible. I'm looking for him to be an important part of our program."

20663LUKE GIFFORD: A standout from Spanish River High School in Baca Raton, Fla., has hoisted junior tournament title trophies four times already this year. Gifford won the Older Division at the Junior Honda Classic (Jan. 8), the FJT at Palm Aire Country Club (Feb. 5), the AJGA-EMoney.com Daniel Berger Junior Championship (June 22) and most recently the WNCJGA Maggie Valley Junior Open (July 25). Gifford also posted wins last year at the FJT at Quail Ridge Country Club (Aug. 21) and FJT at Don Veller Seminole Golf and Country Club (Jan. 17). Gifford is currently ranked No. 83 in the AJGA top 100 and is a former high school teammate of Anthony Muttillo.

BRADLEY'S TAKE: "When he committed about a year and a half ago, in all honesty, I thought he was somebody that was going to grow into a good player. I wasn't sure how long it was going to take. He has probably been a little quicker to that process than I anticipated him being and I'm happy to see it. He's emerged as somebody that we thought would develop maybe his freshman year, sophomore year to being somebody that I think is going to come in and compete right away. He's got great size, he hits the ball a long way and he's from Florida. He's had some good success in the last year, so I think his confidence has never been better and he's really growing into his own."

20664ANTHONY MUTTILLO: The Boca Raton High School standout has shined at the junior level this year with title victories at the SFPGA Championship Tour Event (April 30) and the FJT at Black Bear Golf Club (March 12). Muttillo also placed 10th at the IMG Junior Golf Tour Junior Honda Classic on Jan. 8. For Boca Raton, Muttillo placed third at the 2016 FHSAA Class 3A state championship and collected four top-10 finishes on the junior tour last year.

BRADLEY'S TAKE: "Anthony's game is good as anybody's. I'm looking forward to working with him and building up his confidence. He's had a lot of success at the junior level. He won a couple events and played well at the state am last summer. I know he has the ability to do it. We just need to work on his consistency. I think being surrounded by the right coaching staff and the right players will bring out the best in him."

20665AMADEO FIGUS: The promising talent out of Port St. Lucie is originally from Italy and captured a title at the HJGT Black Bear Junior Challenge on Jan. 29, which was one of his seven top-10 junior finishes this season. Figus also won an IMG Junior Golf Tour Thanksgiving event last year and is ranked No. 93 in the AJGA top 100.

BRADLEY'S TAKE: "I really started recruiting him late. He's had great results this year and has the ability to go low. He shot in the 60s several times with a round of 63 out on the west coast in an AJGA event. For us to add somebody that has that ability to go low, it's obviously really exciting for us as a coaching staff. He's somebody I think will pay immediately dividends on our team."

20666MASSIMO MBETSE: Originally from South Africa, Mbetse is a rapidly emerging talent out of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Mbetse carded numerous rounds in the 60s this year during tournament victories at the AJGA St. Francisville Area Foundation Junior at The Bluffs (June 29) and the AJA Amino VITAL/Joey D. Golf Preview at Osprey Point (March 26). Mbetse registered six top-10 finishes in seven junior events this year and is ranked No. 96 in the AJGA top 100.

BRADLEY'S TAKE: "Massimo is down at IMG, just down south. I kind of fell upon him when hearing some stories about him with how far he hits the ball and what a good young man he is. He's had some success and he hasn't played a whole lot, to be quite honest. He's pretty raw and he might be somebody that kind of surprises everybody. I'm certainly hoping that's the case. I'm looking to him to come in, work hard and push the other guys. I think eventually, he could be somebody that sees consistent playing time. I'm really excited about his potential more than anything else."