• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU football to play at UF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050709/GATORS01/207090320

FIU to visit The Swamp for 12th game in 2009

Florida International University will travel to The Swamp in 2009.

By Robbie Andreu

Sun sports writer

andreur@gvillesun.com

Florida has picked up a 12th game for the 2009 season, adding Florida International University to the schedule.

FIU officials announced Thursday they had signed a contract with UF for the game, which will be played Nov. 21, 2009, in The Swamp. UF officials confirmed the one-game contract with FIU on Friday.

"Playing Florida brings tremendous notoriety," FIU athletic director Rick Mello said. "It's guaranteed television and a game our fans can drive to."

UF now has two future 12th games lined up: FIU in 2009 and Hawaii (at Florida Field) in 2008.

Florida is expected to announce its full package of 12th games, starting with the 2006 season, in the near future.

Guest toolio

Maybe this is semantics, but Florida still hasn't scheduled a 12th game for 2008. Hawai'i is opponent #11. Of if you count them #12, we don't have an 11th opponent yet.

Hopefully, we'll have some decent home and homes scheduled in there as well. I don't mind playing FIU and Hawai'i. But a 2 game series with Miami or Texas A&M or Oregon, etc. would be nice.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

It doesn't look to me like UF has any interest in playing non-conference away games (other than the annual FSU game).

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

It doesn't look to me like UF has any interest in playing non-conference away games (other than the annual FSU game).

Correct...UF wants to enjoy the extra $3 Million-$5 Million they would get with a 7th Home Game every year.

Plus, throw in the 1/2 Home Game every year in Jacksonville (UF gets over $2 Million per year on that contract) and UF will be bringing in the $$$$$ even more so then before.

It's all about $$$$$ and W's.....and when you can help the odds of doing both...UF does it.

KL

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

You won't see a Texas/OSU caliber OOC out of state game with Florida cause a return game would be required.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

The Herald reported that FAU will be going to UF in 08