• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rating the state's RB's

Guest Vanilla Rice

Guest Vanilla Rice

Typically, the RB's in the NFL in the 200-210 range are the speed deamons who have a quick first step and can accellerate on a dime, like Warrick Dunn and Marshall Faulk in their primes.  

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest usfpdiddyguest
Typically, the RB's in the NFL in the 200-210 range are the speed deamons who have a quick first step and can accellerate on a dime, like Warrick Dunn and Marshall Faulk in their primes.  

Since we're talking about what the NFL looks for in general somewhat on this thread now, I must ask you Rice.

You know Matt Jones, former Arkansas QB was taken pretty high for a guy switching positions...first round pick!

But he had ridiculous tangibles.  He's what, 6'6" and 240 pounds with a 4.4?!  His shuttle times and such were amazing too.

This guy could be an absolutely oppressive receiver...once he learns the position.  Other teams have considered TE.  Why not RB?  At 4.4, he's as fast and agile as some of the 210 pound backs, but hes got an insane weight and strength advantage with what seems to be no downside.  That would be rare at any position, but he had some amazing runs at Ark...so why not in the NFL?  Is WR that much easier to switch to/learn...or were most teams just looking to POTENTIALLY mold another Terrel Owens or Randy Moss (with less mouth)?

PS...I don't think I've heard of an athlete with better statistics than that...Just what IF he had the intangibles too ? :o

Guest Vanilla Rice

Ahh, another perfect example of how the NFL looks at intangibles.....Matt Jones of Arkansas.  Here's a guy that was drafted in the first round and has never played a full game of WR in his life.  

By the way, Jones ran a 4.3 at the combine and not a 4.4.  His 4.3 posting was the fastest time EVER (even over Michael Vick) for a quarterback at the NFL combine.

To answer your question of why not start him at RB the answer is obvious.  It is the same reason of why you play a 6-5 or 6-6 guy in college who runs a 4.4 at WR or TE.  It is because they are big targets with long arms and they can provide great mismatches with the defensive backfield.  I mean, if you get two guys running 4.4's going up against each other but one guy is 6-5 with a long extension and the other guy is 5-10, that is a mismatch you want all day.  The bigger guy is going to use his size.  That is why USC's Mike Williams was so dangerous in the red zone.  He had great body control and could use his body and height to his advantage.  Also, from what I read, Matt Jones wants to play WR rather than TE.  The reason being is if he plays TE he would have to gain some weight which could slow him down.  He said it himself by saying, "wouldn't you rather have a 4.4 WR that weighs 230 something than a 4.6 speed TE?  Also to, when you get a guy that is that tall, most of them don't have the shiftiness as shorter guys that play RB.  The taller guys have mostly straight ahead speed, although Matt Jones did have some quickness in him.  If you get a 6-6 running back, that provides too much of a big target for the defense and all you have to do is go straight for the knees.  Again, most 6-6 guys don't have the type of agility a 5-10 guy or shorter does.  Notice how those smaller RB's are a little shiftier than their taller counterparts (i.e. Quinten Griffen, Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn, Marshall Faulk, Darren Sproles, Lorenzo Booker and the list goes on and on).  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

By the way, Jones ran a 4.3 at the combine and not a 4.4.  His 4.3 posting was the fastest time EVER (even over Michael Vick) for a quarterback at the NFL combine.

Speaks volumes for Jones's throwing prowess.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

VR,

That's exactly it, it's all running styles.  I've seen many guys come out of HS that were "Running Backs" in HS with amazing intangibles, however they ran too upright, lacked vision, balance, and agility....so basically they were 6-1 4.4 tops, hit them once and them drop like a rock.  Now put them outside where they can use that 4.4 speed to gain separation and then you've got something, or move them to DB.  It's less physical, and their speed becomes their primary asset (which is why speed doesn't always matter at the RB position).

That's another reason you don't put Matt at RB, because to be an effective RB he'd need to drop his ass, square his shoulders, and run with a lower center of gravity.  That alone will slow down 99.9% of guys that are 6-2 or taller.   If it still doesn't slow him down, then the vision, quickness, and balance would kill him.  Big target, knock out those long legs and they'll drop like flies.

Guest Vanilla Rice

When you are a running back a lot of times you want to get down low so the defense can't hit you low.  If you are taller, you are an easier target for them.  Also, a lot of taller guys aren't as agile as shorter guys.  They can be as fast if not faster, but not as agile.  When was the last time you saw a 6-6 running back?  There aren't any.  The tallest RB's out there are 6-3, but they are overall big guys and also rare athletes.  You typically don't find many RB's over 6-3 and the ones that are, are truely special.  Such as Eddie George, Eric Dickerson and Louiville's Michael Bush.  But those guys are 6-3 and filled out a little more than Matt Jones.  Jones has a WR body type more than a RB type.  Again, when was the last time any of you saw a 6-6 guy playing RB?  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  188

VR,

If you are going to drop the competition card as far as Andre Hall goes, you better check out Washington's stats before proclaiming him best in the state.  Under 50 yards against both Miami and Florida.  He had his big games against North Carolina, as did everyone else.

Guest Vanilla Rice

hey bob,

last I checked, North Carolina was a good team who went to a bowl game and beat Miami.  Also last i checked, Miami and Florida aren't bad teams.  Especially defensively.  Do you think Andre would get more than 50 yards against that D?  I am not trying to take anything away from him.  Just being realistic.  Again, a lot of you don't think outside of the box (meaning outside the USF box).  You probably think Marquel was a better QB than Danny Wuerfull.  don't get me wrong, marquel was one of the top QB's in America his senior year.  But again, let's get back to reality.  Also what you are forgetting is that FSU runs a more balanced attack.  Also you are forgetting that FSU also has another tailback named Lorenzo Booker who gets a lot of carries too.  FSU also will have this outstanding back named Antonie Smith coming in as a freshman.  That kid is too good to keep on the bench.  he's only 5-8, but this kid is **** good.  one of the best I've seen coming out of this state in awhile.  Washington is about the same height as Andre, a little thicker.  But is faster, has breakaway speed and is more stronger and can knock you back.  He's also a good receiver out of the backfield.  I am no FSU fan, but I know reality and Washington is the best RB in the state this year.  WAtch and see who gets drafted higher.  You're also forgetting, Washington is not only sharing carries, but is going up against ACC defenses.  big difference between ACC defenses and Conference USA defenses.  I think Andre hall is the best back in Big East this year....but the most talented would probably have to go to Michael Bush of Louisville.  

Guest Vanilla Rice

Hey Bob,

Everything is not about stats.  did you know that the leading rusher in the nation from a year ago is from North Texas?  Again, I'm sure Sunbelt defenses were among the best in the nation.  So does that mean the RB from North Texas is the best RB in the nation because he led the nation in rushing?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  188

Hey VR,

I agree everything is not about stats, just like every team in a so called big name conference is so much better defensively.   North Carolina was not a very good run stopping team, giving up almost 3000 yards on the ground.  Just because Washington put up his numbers against the ACC doesn't hold up with me.  If it did the answer to your question regarding the kid from North Texas on if he could  put up numbers against the bigger

conferences would be yes.  He put up 257 yards against Colorado, not a very good team last year but from the Big 12.  Also as you stated FSU had a more balanced attack which only helps a runner.  Lets not forget that Mashall

Faulk played at San Diego State and seems to be doing fine in the pro's against players from the ACC.