• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt/McCullum Summer Tour?  Where did it go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Finally, is the university offering something that people really want? I mean, why a golf tournament/outing?  I know there were dinner-only tickets... but the event was pitched as "hey, come play golf with USF's leaders"... why golf?  Do UF, FSU, and UM play golf as part of their coaches tours? (If they do, I didn't see it).  I know we want to be different, but maybe there is a reason why they don't include golf...

Jim, thanks for getting my back.  That's exactly my point.  You wrote my next post for me and good point about the 3500 season ticket "holders".  

Anyway, I received that "ATH" flyer in the mail.  I perused it and saw $125 for a golf round and dinner.  After being disappointed b/c I don't play golf but would of liked to go, I looked a little closer & noticed there was an option for "dinner only" for $30.  Not very noticable if I do say so but it was there on the second page.  My thought process was I'll wait for the Tampa Luncheon b/c two yrs ago Leavitt & McCullum did a nice job and I'd save $5-$10.  That decision didn't pan out.  

Another point about adding golf to this deal is it excludes most families in making this a family event if that was an option.  I can't really bring my 9 yr old son to a golfing event if he's never gripped a club before nor bring a wife if she doesn't play.  IMO, in general, when you add golf to this type of event, you are catering to a white collar crowd with pockets deeper than the average Joe.  While I might be in a white collar profession, my wallet & background are as blue collar as the ocean is deep and wide.

Brad,  don't think I'm being critical here of USF's efforts...okay maybe a little.  I know they are putting an effort into this thing.  After reading the Urban Meyer article I felt this message board was a good venue to express a speciific want as a fan that wasn't being met but was being fulfilled by other university's AD's for their fans.  Plus I probably knee jerk reacted and posted to soon b/c I forgot about the ATH.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

While I don't necessarily disagree with you or Brad, consider this...

First, there are only about 3,500 season ticket 'holders' out there (obviously they buy multiple tickets to get us up to the 16,000 season ticket number)... So there really isn't a HUGE outpouring of support for USF, yet.

Second, the issue is one of priorities.  Work, family, and other things take precedent for a lot of USF fans ... especially during the 'off' season.

Finally, is the university offering something that people really want? I mean, why a golf tournament/outing?  I know there were dinner-only tickets... but the event was pitched as "hey, come play golf with USF's leaders"... why golf?  Do UF, FSU, and UM play golf as part of their coaches tours? (If they do, I didn't see it).  I know we want to be different, but maybe there is a reason why they don't include golf...

In some ways, though, you help make my point.  According to our own alumni website, "more than 90,000 of the 175,000 graduates of USF still live in the Tampa Bay area."  If we have 90,000 local alumni and only about 3,500 season ticket holders, that's deplorable.  Moreso because of the fact that a fair number of our season ticket holders don't even live in the Tampa Bay area, which means far less than 4 % of our local alumni are season ticket holders.  We can't get much more apathetic than that.  

USFFan

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

i agree that the golf part was a mistake. hopefully we learned from it and do better next year. I like the fact that they are going to plan the dates earlier so hopefully more will be done to deaw the fans in.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Re: the golf

I think it should be known that the golf aspect is a big moneymaker...Charging $30 for a dinner is not as big a money maker.  I think there has to be a delicate balance, and allowing non-golfers to attend the dinner was one way to do so.  Golf often attracts funds in excess of the $125 tournament fee, there are hole sponsorhips, and likely other raffles, etc. that generate funds.

While not all play golf, it is still a way to bring in new funds at a good margin.

I think it should be known that the golf aspect is a big moneymaker...Charging $30 for a dinner is not as big a money maker.  I think there has to be a delicate balance, and allowing non-golfers to attend the dinner was one way to do so.  Golf often attracts funds in excess of the $125 tournament fee, there are hole sponsorhips, and likely other raffles, etc. that generate funds.

While not all play golf, it is still a way to bring in new funds at a good margin.

Not to mention 4 hours with a USF coach and some friendly banter ("nice putt, Alice...").  I wish I were there to participate.

USFFan

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

I think it works in the Tampa area where there are more alumni and more season tickets holder but in other areas where most alumni are NOT ticket holders is better to have smaller activities like the dinner and build the numbers attending.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

So what you are saying, then, is the reason for ATH is to raise money -- the interactions with the coaches is secondary ??

If that is the case, then I do believe USF needs to revisit the issue.  These events should barely break event, not raise funds.  They should raise the profile of USF athletics, bring in the casual fans, introduce the community to the coaching staff, etc.  I can't imagine that athletics raised more than a few thousand dollars overall.

They can still have golf tournaments, but they should not be part of the Around the Horns events.  Otherwise, they are severly limiting their audience, and should expect similar results next year.

JMHO  :-)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Well Jim, I surely don't speak for them.  But no, I do not believe the intent to be fundraising first.  I may be in the minority, but I would sooner plop down the golf money and socialize that way (fun) than to eat dinner (fattening)  ;).  There are a number of people that enjoy golfing and golfing with the coaches achieve multiple goals.

The participation or lack thereof will certainly be a factor in what they do next time.  They're not insane.

But I have also been to coach meet and greet functions - free ones - like the one at University Square Mall when the logo was unvelied...it was not greatly attended.  I went to a function at the BK on Fowler - lightly attended and LRS and Seth were there.  I could go on and on.  I think if anyone had the magic formula to get "thousands" of people to participate (without giving away free stuff) the Bulls Club would love to hear and see it.  I think USFFan's numbers don't lie when it comes to exposing the downright apathy prevalent in the Bulls "fan base" - including those that routinely label themselves "die-hard."  

Don't get me wrong - I am not knocking anyone in particular or those that didn't make it to an Around the Horns event...I'm just saying that until we show a little more energy and enthusiasm much of this is going to happen at a very slow, if not painful, manner.  

People need to wake up.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

In some ways, though, you help make my point.  According to our own alumni website, "more than 90,000 of the 175,000 graduates of USF still live in the Tampa Bay area."  If we have 90,000 local alumni and only about 3,500 season ticket holders, that's deplorable.  Moreso because of the fact that a fair number of our season ticket holders don't even live in the Tampa Bay area, which means far less than 4 % of our local alumni are season ticket holders.  We can't get much more apathetic than that.  

USFFan

While, on the whole, something not to be proud about there is perspective explaining our/USF's lack of season ticket numbers.  First USF is 40+ yrs old and the other institutes in this state are twice that age.  Secondly, USF has only (3) D1A seasons under its belt.  The established programs in this state have 20 times that history or more.  Neither of the state institutes compete directly with an NFL team.  And Miami has most band wagon fans of any top 10 team in the nation.

The alumni from USF for the first 30 yrs, for the magority, are not big sports fans.  They made a decision to attend a university that was mostly do to economics & location.  Attending frat/soro tailgates on Sat. mornings in the fall was either "A" not important or "B" out weighed by economics.  Truthfully, it's probably going to take 15-20 more yrs before USF approaches 75%-80% of the fan numbers of the Big 3 unless a conference championship/BCS bowl comes our Bull's way. 4-7 seasons will not maintain a fan base especially the 4th best in the state.

Look a CA's (Cal or Stanford), AL's (TSU), TX's (TX Tech/Baylor) & NC's (Wake Forest/Duke) 3rd or 4th best team.  They have dwelled in football mediocrity for a long time w/glimpses of success.  And some have had the benefitt of being in a BCS conference since the inception of the BCS.

After further thought, the numbers I spewed out on the post above on fan attendance are probably about twice what reality would yield.  Tampa is known for having a lack of disposable income (recently in the news).  That may be another reason getting Tampa Bay residents fired up for a 4th ranked state team in a conference with a perceived reputation for being a sub-par BCS conference.  However, IMO, the coaching staffs at USF could give the fans a much better experience.  It needs to start someplace.  I wish I had all the answers.

While, on the whole, something not to be proud about there is perspective explaining our/USF's lack of season ticket numbers.  First USF is 40+ yrs old and the other institutes in this state are twice that age.  Secondly, USF has only (3) D1A seasons under its belt.  The established programs in this state have 20 times that history or more.  Neither of the state institutes compete directly with an NFL team.  And Miami has most band wagon fans of any top 10 team in the nation.

The alumni from USF for the first 30 yrs, for the magority, are not big sports fans.  They made a decision to attend a university that was mostly do to economics & location.  Attending frat/soro tailgates on Sat. mornings in the fall was either "A" not important or "B" out weighed by economics.  Truthfully, it's probably going to take 15-20 more yrs before USF approaches 75%-80% of the fan numbers of the Big 3 unless a conference championship/BCS bowl comes our Bull's way. 4-7 seasons will not maintain a fan base especially the 4th best in the state.

Look a CA's (Cal or Stanford), AL's (TSU), TX's (TX Tech/Baylor) & NC's (Wake Forest/Duke) 3rd or 4th best team.  They have dwelled in football mediocrity for a long time w/glimpses of success.  And some have had the benefitt of being in a BCS conference since the inception of the BCS.

After further thought, the numbers I spewed out on the post above on fan attendance are probably about twice what reality would yield.  Tampa is known for having a lack of disposable income (recently in the news).  That may be another reason getting Tampa Bay residents fired up for a 4th ranked state team in a conference with a perceived reputation for being a sub-par BCS conference.  However, IMO, the coaching staffs at USF could give the fans a much better experience.  It needs to start someplace.  I wish I had all the answers.

Sorry, I don't agree with several aspects of this.  First off, having 40+ years of alumni is enough.  Somebody who graduated from USF 40 years ago is about 62 years old.  There's a diminishing return when you get much above that.  

Second, you need to do a little digging on your choice of schools.  The fourth school in success in California is definitely Cal.  They average 65,000 fans per game.  Meanwhile, the other schools you mention (Texas Tech, Baylor, Wake Forest) are in remote areas instead of an area where we have > 90,000 local alumni.  

Third, while the average disposable income in Tampa may be low, that's an average number.  I'm sure if you took a look at the average disposable income among college graduates or even USF graduates it would be greater.  

I know of several guys I went to school with at USF, including a few roommates.  Two of them are diehard Gat*r fans and have season tickets, even though neither ever attended UF.  Another former roommate is a season ticket holder at Miami and goes down for the games with a buddy who sends his son to USF.  THAT is the big problem - we can't convince our own alumni to support their alma mater instead of another team.  

The bulk of our current student body seems much more interested in going to Ybor than going to a USF event.  The only way things are going to change is for somebody at USF to make students believe that attending a USF sporting event is the thing to do.  Trust me, on a football Saturday, most students are going to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium instead of the Purple Porpoise.  We need that kind of drive on campus.  Ideally, USF could hire somebody like The Sheriff to rally students as a full time job and build that kind of support.  Then when those students become alumni they'll want to keep attending games as a way of remembering the good times they had.  

I'll step off my soapbox now...

USFFan