• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

are you kidding?  those three are regarded as the top 3 public institutions and all have much more prestige/national reputation than UF

Where does Penn fit into that criteria, UNC, or Rutgers?  Public Universities are a sum of their parts, however that doesn't mean Michigan, UVA, and Berkley (which I am well aware of their stature) corner the market on all aspects of public education.  Purdue's Engineering School, a partially public state University in Indiana (Ivy League accredited), blows the socks off the engineering schools at the three you mentioned.  However, given your logic, you would question someone's intelligence or aptitude for selecting Purdue instead of Michigan, UVA, or Berkley!?!  Ditto for Penn's business school- Michigan has a brilliant business school, but not better than Penn's.  In Pennsylvania all the 1-A state schools are partially private- much like Purdue- meaning they now survive on their own endowments, donations, tuition, and subsidies versus state funds unlike the state schools in FL.

Talk about research.  UF had over $600mm in research last year.  They're top 20 in the nation of ALL universities, and they've made some incredible discoveries over the past 30 years, not including Gatorade.  Could a Merit Scholar choose UF because of their state-of-the-art research facilities and ease bywhich one can ascertain grants, and public subsidies for research?  Quite possibly.

WIth all that being said UF's one of the state schools that really started the process of recruiting Merit Scholars quite a number of years ago.  Their honors college, and red-carpet treatment 20 years ago paved the way for this latest amazing haul of merit scholars.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  93

well apparently most national merit scholars are idiots.... who in their right mind would take UF over Yale, Chicago, Stanford, etc??  

Yes I would rather live in Gainesville than Orlando

And I do not regret going to USF over UF at all....  I could not fathom being one of the arrogant UF grads

In regards to your first question I think some of those kids are offered  full-rides to UF as opposed to  paying the 20,000 grand a year for Yale or some of the other schools.  Even a partial scholarship to some of those schools would still have you paying more than the full cost of a public university. When looked at in those terms it isn't so idiotic. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that they would be living Florida and the school has very good sports teams to follow also.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Where does Penn fit into that criteria, UNC, or Rutgers?  Public Universities are a sum of their parts, however that doesn't mean Michigan, UVA, and Berkley (which I am well aware of their stature) corner the market on all aspects of public education.  Purdue's Engineering School, a partially public state University in Indiana (Ivy League accredited), blows the socks off the engineering schools at the three you mentioned.  However, given your logic, you would question someone's intelligence or aptitude for selecting Purdue instead of Michigan, UVA, or Berkley!?!  Ditto for Penn's business school- Michigan has a brilliant business school, but not better than Penn's.  In Pennsylvania all the 1-A state schools are partially private- much like Purdue- meaning they now survive on their own endowments, donations, tuition, and subsidies versus state funds unlike the state schools in FL.

Talk about research.  UF had over $600mm in research last year.  They're top 20 in the nation of ALL universities, and they've made some incredible discoveries over the past 30 years, not including Gatorade.  Could a Merit Scholar choose UF because of their state-of-the-art research facilities and ease bywhich one can ascertain grants, and public subsidies for research?  Quite possibly.

WIth all that being said UF's one of the state schools that really started the process of recruiting Merit Scholars quite a number of years ago.  Their honors college, and red-carpet treatment 20 years ago paved the way for this latest amazing haul of merit scholars.

of course you can point out specific programs that excel at any institution... but OVERALL there is a difference

As for UF's honors college, if it is still the same program that was accepted to 4 years ago, it is a joke.  USF's Honors program blows it away

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  157

Hey Bien,

I know that UF has "made some incredible discoveries over the past 30 years" but they have also made the worst discovery/invention EVER.  That’s those **** love bugs. They were supposed to mate with mosquitoes making the offspring infertile and look how that turned out. They do nothing but mess up our car paint. Now we don’t only have a mosquito problem but also a love bug problem. So sure, UF has made some good discoveries but in the long run UF is still way below par.    

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I'd rate UF higher as an academic institution over USF, 83.  

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

I'd rate UF higher as an academic institution over USF, 83.  

where did I say USF was a better overall institution than UF??

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Hey Bien,

I know that UF has "made some incredible discoveries over the past 30 years" but they have also made the worst discovery/invention EVER.  That’s those **** love bugs. They were supposed to mate with mosquitoes making the offspring infertile and look how that turned out. They do nothing but mess up our car paint. Now we don’t only have a mosquito problem but also a love bug problem. So sure, UF has made some good discoveries but in the long run UF is still way below par.    

I have to agree with you on that one.  They should be made to pay restitution to all the citizen's of FL for the repeated paint damage we incur on our vehicles from that toxic blood from those love bugs.  If they were forced to do that it might have burned away all the revenue they received from Gatorade, that cancer medication.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Because that great and grating Gator arrogance is back. It became famous in the 1960s when legendary sports writer Dan Jenkins wrote about Florida fans, "They have the tradition of Wake Forest and the arrogance of Notre Dame."
 Now that is funny and very true!

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711

I love the fact the Meyer is bringing some spirit back at UF.  Honestly...has the UF/FSU games been nearly as fun to watch the past 3 years?

As a college football fan...I love it!!  I actually miss the Spurrier days at UF.  Sure...there was a lot of classless BS spewed...but it didn't matter to my school and was a lot of fun to watch.  I just hope Spurrier can successful at USC and Meyer has to contend against him for the East, eventually.  Can you imagine the ribbing between those two??!!  

The Good:  Brings fun back into the state of florida for college football...too much "sweet" Zook has brought down some toughness and swagger this state had.  It wasn't fun to beat UF anymore...now those teams will enjoy it more.

The Bad:  Better back it up or it'll be a LOOOONG off season.

Can't blame him though...UM and FSU still don't have the fan base of UF or the support.  Meyer wasn't wrong there.

As for UCF and USF fans...none of us can really say anything about Meyer.  Both of our schools would be plenty happy to have him coach our teams.  No offense to GOL...I'm still giving him 2 years to prove himself...but I wouldn't be upset if UCF had Meyer, instead.  And I know that USF would say the same thing vs. Leavitt.