• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Schaeffer getting love on Atlanta radio...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

It's quite possible I do.  Well I don't enjoy 4-7 seasons but I'm not convinced Schaeffer is something we need to pursue.  

Right or Wrong (I don't care which side of the fence anyone falls on this) when these kids argee to play ball for these schools they are going to be held to a higher standard.   They are abasadors to their school.  some say they are just kids and shouldn't have to deal with that pressure, perhaps thats true, but thats just the way it is.  If they do soemthing wrong, anything, it is going to make the papers.  Thats what separates them from every other student on that campus.  I got into fights when Iwas a kid but never as an adult.  Not that I never watned to but I knew as an adult the rules are different, when you do things you are held responsible.  In the grander scheme of things its probably not a big deal but to me, it says something of his ability to make mature grown up decisions.  If he's not mature enough to make those decsions then he shouldn't be expected to shoulder the responsiblity that comes with representing the University he choses to play for.  

I doubt very serisouly these kids are ever sat down and told of the responsibility that comes with playing college ball.  Every move they make is recorded and printed and left for the rest of us to digest and then form and opinion and comment on.  If they aren't told that than that is a failure of the system.  That is a shame and in that sense the kids are the victims.  If they are told, and they fail to grab the weight of their new situaiton and then mess up then its their fault and they deserve what they get IMO.  

When I was in the Navy, when we went overseas we were always told, we weren't only representing ourselves we were also representing the United States.  If we mess up, even for something small, it severes to re-enforce negativesterotypes of Americans and American service in some of the minds of the people whose country we were visiting.  Messing up on liberty meant hell to pay when you got back, even if it was something small.  

Schaeffer has shown he has the ability to be a troublemaker.  I don't think many would argue that, I think the argument is that so what if he's a trouble maker, every team has their trouble makers, if he can help us win whats one more trouble maker.  I guess if thats how you feel, you'd probably be in the majority of college football fans opinions.  I don't fee that way, I, personally, would rather see what we can do with what we got at QB before we start taking other teams trouble makers.  

Oh, and please save the spun justifaction of how he really was defending his girlfriend and we all would of done the same.  None of us were there so none of usreally know what happened.  However, the cops saw enough to arrest him so I doubt it was completely in defense of his girlfriend.

Please provide a link showing that he has been in "trouble" or has even got bad grades before going to UT.  Please show us when he's shown this "ability" to be a troublemaker as you so eloquently put it.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien

Two things to remember.....

Schaeffer's meeting, or class absence didn't seem to bother Fulmer enough to stop Brent from running with the first teams at QB and WR.  Also, when Brent asked to transfer earlier in the spring it didn't stop Foolmer from begging him to stay.

SO, either Foolmer is a huge hypocrite and only cared to bring this to light AFTER Brent was contemplating transfer, OR, Foolmer has no standards an a kid can become a starter by missing meetings, and skipping class, OR this is all trumped and possibly these missed meetings and classes occurred around the time Brent realized that Foolmer's ill-conceived plan, and poor attempt at subtlely moving Brent to WR and was disenchanted and contemplating leaving school.  

It's one of those three things because these rumors were never floated before, and Brent was lauded during the spring practice and all fall by the staff.  So either they're enormous hypocrites, liars, or just plain ignorant.

Judge his illegal action, judge his play, but don't judge him on unsubstantiated rumors about missing classes and practice from coaches that didn't seem the least bit concerned about it until AFTER it was certain that Brent was leaving.

Guest wildrover

Please provide a link showing that he has been in "trouble" or has even got bad grades before going to UT.  Please show us when he's shown this "ability" to be a troublemaker as you so eloquently put it.  

Im not really sure why I'm not getting through to you.  And why you insist on putting words in my mouth.  I never said he had a passed before now.  However, he now has one now. His recent history and the recent events is what I've based my opinion on.   I don't need a history of his behavior since he was in high school (what exactly were his grades in high school any way since you see to know, what classes did he take and what did he get in them?)  His recent past is enough for me to say he's proven he can be a trouble maker.  that might not be enough for you but It is for me.  

Your not going to change my mind on this, you have your opinion and I have mine.  You don't know any more about it than I do.  I used the information available to me to form my opinion just as you have.  I'm a little confused as to why thats not okay with you.  But I'm allowed to not be overly joyed by the notion of him coming here.  Your allowed to have the opposite opinion which we both apparently do.    

I will take exception to your post saying that I've been wrong several times.  I haven't any more than I've been right, just like you.  This is all just opinion. Honestly, right now you're really coming across as someone who is really annoyed by my opinion.  Does it really irk you that much when someone sees the world differently than you do?  

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I don't need a history of his behavior since he was in high school (what exactly were his grades in high school any way since you see to know, what classes did he take and what did he get in them?)

He had a 3.0 GPA and is now majoring in graphic arts in College.

Haven't you read the other Shaeffer threads in recent days?

I posted a couple of relevant articles.  

Guest wildrover

A 3.0 is commendable in high school.  This is good evidence that supports everyone else's  argument that he is a good student.  I haven't seen it before now.  Now that I have it does change the opinion I had about him being a good student.  Of course this doesn't tell me what he's currently getting and we all now a good studnet in highschool isn't necessarily a good one in college.  However, it does show evidence of a good scholastic  past and I can't refute that.  

Howie, Do you really think I would have asked the question if I already knew the answer to it?   What is the point in that?  Or was that a rhetorical question?

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I just figured if you hadn't read the articles I posted you might want to go back and read them. They are in a couple of the recent Schaeffer threads. His mom is a teacher and academics was a strong priority in selecting a college which had his major. I don't know what happened in Tenn other than he broke his shoulder playing football for them, got into a fight with a guy who was arguing with his girlfried about her cel phone and that the case is coming to court later in May and that he was released from there by mutual agreement. The rest of the stuff is all speculation.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Im not really sure why I'm not getting through to you.  And why you insist on putting words in my mouth.  I never said he had a passed before now.  However, he now has one now. His recent history and the recent events is what I've based my opinion on.   I don't need a history of his behavior since he was in high school (what exactly were his grades in high school any way since you see to know, what classes did he take and what did he get in them?)  His recent past is enough for me to say he's proven he can be a trouble maker.  that might not be enough for you but It is for me.  

Your not going to change my mind on this, you have your opinion and I have mine.  You don't know any more about it than I do.  I used the information available to me to form my opinion just as you have.  I'm a little confused as to why thats not okay with you.  But I'm allowed to not be overly joyed by the notion of him coming here.  Your allowed to have the opposite opinion which we both apparently do.    

I will take exception to your post saying that I've been wrong several times.  I haven't any more than I've been right, just like you.  This is all just opinion. Honestly, right now you're really coming across as someone who is really annoyed by my opinion.  Does it really irk you that much when someone sees the world differently than you do?  

By virtue of you saying he "has a past now", you are immediatly condemning him even though you admit to not knowing the whole story.  

You're "not getting thru to me" because you don't know the facts.  I don't care if people's opinion differs from mine, it happens all the time.  The opinions of others only irk me when they are uninformed.  

And you still haven't answered my question about your opinions of Carlton Hill.  Should we not take him either?  

BTW I started this thread based on a radio personality's opinion, not my own)

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with you a 100% Howie

You say you agree with Howie, but Howie simply presented the facts of the case, while you've been taking unsubstantiated rumors and using them as the basis of your arguments that you don't want him at USF...